Shield crush!

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield crush!

Postby Sleeper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:28 pm

What constitutes sufficient force to kill a shield using a red weapon? Is it a light two handed tap (cheap looking but makes consecutive shots easy), a mediocre yet still firm strike that moves the shield little or the balls to the wall baseball bat swing that not only damages the weapon and shield involved, but if it were to make it past the shield and hit meat, it might injure.

I was briefly struck by the thrust tip craze, they are awesome and incredibly fun to use BUT, after facing off against several shieldmen with nearly unbreakable shields, the stab tips died in a firey death of shield killing extravagance. The shields killed my sword, not the other way around. Which led me to the conclusion there is no way to have a safe stab tip that is still rigid enough to smash the more "tougher" shields (this is an opinion thing on part of the shield user, apparently, like archers, its their call whether it was sufficient enough, leading some to have near unbreakable shields). That little bend in the weapon gets worked over hard, even during a single redshot. Reason I am so concerned is I am about to make another cross country trip and I need a weapon that will pass at all fields, hit hard enough to kill the hardest shields yet still soft enough that it doesn't injure (being lightweight adds to one's ability to keep fighting, heavy weapons tire their users out quicker).

Is it good that we have such a standard or is shield users having nearly unbreakable shields a good thing. I like swinging super hard, I like thrusts, I do not like breaking swords or people. I think there is only two possible remedies, set a standard that says redshots don't have to be uber hard OR remove their shield killing power completely. What are your guy's thoughts? (the only way I can concievably see a stab tip survive is lighter redshots, though this may give me an advantage,) Think I may have to suck it up and leave the stab tip behind.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Re: Shield crush!

Postby Caleidah » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:54 pm

The general thing that I teach people is that if you can feel the red move your shield a reasonable amount and it is more than a tip graze, you should count it. There are people who teach that it should move the shield into your body, have (x) solid impact, etc etc etc. The issue is that if you were cranking people that hard and they weren't taking it, either they were cheating or you weren't hitting that hard. It is nowhere in the rules that a shield must be hit so hard that it shakes their whole body. Just like taking a shot on your body, the taker can call it light if they do not deem it solid enough. Also, just like anything else, if you think someone is cheating, take it to a herald.

Also, stop hitting them with the last six inches of your sword and your stab tips will last considerably longer.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Sleeper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Well, I've heard this tip fighting suggestion a while back and I listened and all it did was move the damage to the part of the blade I was hitting with. Shield users like to faint, pretend their shield is there and jump back. All unpredictable so no, that never works, why? Cause I went out and tried it. However, I posted this on the Dag boards and they gave me a good suggestion, its not how I fight (well partly), its my bad sword construction. Then again, I've broken three bandshopp poles and worn out an edhellen/forged foam great sword core enough that it has this little katana like curve now (its also to flexy now). Maybe there is no way around this. I think I am just gonna have to suck it up and keep redding hard against the unbreakable shields, if someone gets hurt, oh well.

(I am asking because I need a standard sword that should be able to pass at all bel/dag fields yet durable enough to withstand the abuse. Only way I've achieved this is by not having a stab tip. Redswording on a budget)
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby Sir Par » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 am

If you'd take it to the body, you should probably take to the shield.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Rules Discussion And Development