Making an Unofficial Resource Guide for Belegarth

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Making an Unofficial Resource Guide for Belegarth

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Matthias - Dun Abhon wrote:I understand and very much enjoy encouraging new people to seek out veterans to learn lots of stuff about our game. I personally LOVE helping out new people. I put myself at their disposal as much as I can. But there's a point at which that's not really feasible. For people who see some cool video, somehow discover us, find that there's no realm within a hundred miles of them, it's not super practical for them to seek out veterans to help them with all kinds of stuff, since it'd involve a hell of a lot of travel time for one or both of them. Yes, we still have the boards, but unreliable internet access and the limitations of the medium are still problems; it's far easier to show someone in person what you're talking about than it is to describe it in a post for most things, for example.

That said, I really think it might be more productive to collect information and condense it into a comprehensive newbie guide (with pictures, maybe video, wherever necessary) for occasions like what I described; besides, it's not like having that guide would hurt any realm that had vets around anyway. Like I said before, that would allow us to keep our rulebook a little lighter, it'd provide an additional (hopefully very good) resource for new members and realms, and it'd help get our collective wisdom a little more out in the open and a little more accessible to everyone.

I really like this idea. I'm in an area where 3-4 new realms pop up every year within 60 miles of me. However, So Cal doesn't actually let me see them all that often. 10 miles of driving here might be 1 hour in traffic! Though we try to make annual pilgrimages, this is hardly enough for fledgling realms that don't have Bel vets as a resource. Adding on to the quote above, I think our Guide should do the following:

1) Give a historical perspective to the BOW and the intended purposes for most or all rules
2) What the application of these rules looks like (photos, diagrams, video, ect).
3) What the common conventions during game-play are: including possible regional differences
4) Helping people transition from LARP or backyard play into Bel by explaining key differences
4A) Differences between Dag/Amt
5) Explaining CAMPING EVENTS: social customs, expectations, ect.

There's probably more that we can do, but the obvious thing we need is for many people in the community to chip in to make it happen.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Re: Making an Unofficial Resource Guide for Belegarth

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:24 pm

My personal book/binder has:

- rules, game/scenario plans, waivers, armor/weapon/garb patterns, music, photos of good garb and photos of large events, historical fighting manuals, many fighting articles plundered from geddon.org, and probably some other things.

I'd caution against the comparing Bel/Dag/Amt too specifically, because rules in different games are always changing and I've never seen it done correctly yet, and I'd caution against doing it too generally because I think region affects games more than rules sometimes.

Otherwise, I'm always in favor of this.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 pm

I completely agree that region can affect games more than the rules.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Sir Killian » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Xipher and bhakdar made a book like this some time ago if I recall
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby eeach » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 am

The trouble with a static document or list is that it becomes outdated in very short time. To counteract that, I took Xipher's book and did this:

http://geddon.org/New_Realm_Starter_Kit

It would be awesome to add a list of videos, etc. to it.
Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Horde marched to the field. Their leaders up in the air, adorned in furs and animal skulls. Women from camps chained underneath the platforms, fire-breathers & flag bearers ran about before of the procession. I have never in my life felt closer to being in a fantasy world. I will always remember that for a moment I thought so many things were possible.
eeach
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 18 Apr 1996
Realm: Stal Dalen
Unit: HORDE

Return to Rules Discussion And Development