Tape on Striking Surface

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tape on Striking Surface

Postby Plithut » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 am

I wanted to talk about this rule 1.3.7. The amount of tape on a striking surface should be kept to a minimum.

If I remember correctly the original intention of the rule was to prevent Ampgard cross over sticks (which I believe we did with weight minimums) as well as to prevent "slapping" of the weapon.

My question is this; is this necessary now with all of the foam smithing progressions? Am I wrong about the original intention on the rule?

Personally, I moved all of my striking surface foam over to 1" 2# microcell Polyethylene foam (pretty much the Microcell version of foam that we have been using from Edhellen/Forged Foam for years). This microcell foam is great for absorbing impact, but it sheers really easily without a tape layer. I have taken to using fiberglass strapping tape (bi-directional strapping tape) to increase longevity of my weapons.

I have been doing this now for a couple of years with minimal-to-no issue's as to people even noticing the tape being there. Whenever a weapons checker brings up the tape rule, I end up arguing and saying that the tape is necessary for a sufficient force hit and ask them to take it to hit test to see if it passes (which it does unless the weapon is actually broken).

Any insight would be helpful.
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Re: Tape on Striking Surface

Postby Reverend » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Here's the thread that I last remember on this topic (mostly because I was one of the prime participants and have since changed my views).

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38600

I feel that it is still /technically/ necessary to have said rule, if for no other reason than to have another item in a weapon checker's *.

However, I do think that ensuring the checkers understand that a single layer of thin tape (you use fiberglass, I use packing tape) to assist in the longevity of a weapon doesn't mean it's unsafe or otherwise going to be a problem.

I do believe that wrapping something in multiple layers of duct tape would still be an issue, and for those that would do so, the rule needs to stay in place.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I feel like this rule is outdated. If a weapon is going to fail, then it will fail for more of a legitimate reason than someone using more tape than others. If there is too much tape, it will fail for hit. If the tape is causing shearing, the blade will tear and fail.

Rules that govern how we may build our equipment, insofar as what materials we use, anyway, are limiting. That is easy to see in the thread Rev linked. New, viable tech being failed for no other reason than its method of construction.

If we want to put more power in the hands of weapons checkers, I think a rule that states that if a marshal feels that a weapon could fail very soon (shear lines; sweet spots; loose pommel; unstable stabbing tip) would be more valuable. We already do those that, but it would quell the "but it isn't failing right now, technically" arguments. Sorry if that's veering a bit too much off topic.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Plithut » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Rev - I didn't find that thread when I searched for it, but I had someone ask me questions in regards to Weapons check at Chaos Wars and vendors taping their weapons. I wanted to make sure I addressed this while it was fresh on my mind.

Thurat - I agree with what you said 100%.
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Postby Reverend » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Plithut wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Rev - I didn't find that thread when I searched for it, but I had someone ask me questions in regards to Weapons check at Chaos Wars and vendors taping their weapons. I wanted to make sure I addressed this while it was fresh on my mind.

Thurat - I agree with what you said 100%.

As I said before, my opinion on the matter has changed since that thread and I now skin my gear with tape and allow hit test to be king.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kyrian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm a convert. I was reluctant to even consider having even a modicum of tape on my striking surfaces after having it drummed into me that tape on the striking surface was bad. However, seeing that it [if applied properly] didn't affect how hard the weapon hits and added considerable durability to the weapons has convinced me. I now apply a layer of packing tape to the weapons I build and use the hit test to decide if the weapon hits too hard, not arbitrarily failing something for having tape on the striking surface.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Derian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I agree. Perhaps, rather than striking the rule entirely, we could word it in such a way as to prevent compression of the foam (which is the real problem), but still allow for structural reinforcement?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby varadin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:59 am

you can always look to what dagorhir did, which was to make sure weapons were being tested properly they added a rule stating all weapons must be tested at full force in weapons check.

Maybe a bit redundant, but it makes for bad tape weapons guarantee fail, and makes for an safer weapons check (though at the expense of more peoples backs). Its a way to remove a bad rule, and add a rule we all agree is part of the check already. But it gives anyone with an arguement against removing the tape rule a nice compromise.

Personally I like the rule, since its a really easy way to fail a weapon that has the tape applied wrong. Which id say is about 50% of the tape covered weapons i find.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Return to Rules Discussion And Development