Basic Safety Equipment

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Basic Safety Equipment

Postby Thorne the mercenary » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:14 am

We have all seen it happen; that tragic moment when someone on the battlefield gets hurt. No one wants to see this occur, no one it to be them, and most of us are in denial that it could be us next.

A short time ago a good friend of mine was wielding a spear in practice. An unlucky shot caught him in the hand just right and broke his pinky finger. He didn't think it was that serious but we all convinced that he should go to a doctor. It was a good thing that he did. He had damaged the tendons in his hand and the injury required surgery. This cost him time off work, he was unable to practice for 2 months while his hand recovered, he went through physical therapy, and he has only regained partial movement to his pinky finger.

This could have all been prevented by wearing some type of protective gloves. I would like to propose the addition of a rule that says that we should all wear safety glasses, gloves and knee pads while fighting. 90% of the injuries that I have witnessed in years I've been playing this sport have been to these three areas. Thankfully they have for the most part been minor.

Personally I wear safety glasses, a pair of motocross gloves, and some knee pads that I picked up with a roller blade set. I can tell you that my safety glasses have saved me from pain more than once.

Out of all of these suggestions I believe that the eye protection is most important. I have yet to see a serious eye injury result from game play but the potential could be devastating. I see multiple face shots at virtually every practice and event that I have attended.

Secondarily safety glasses come in a variety of styles and lens styles. They come shaded like sunglasses, clear, clear with UV protection, etc. If you have prescription glasses then you can get prescription safety glasses.

I realize that our weapons are designed to no be able to fit an eye socket, but all it takes is for one flying rock or stick kicked up during a battle to hit someone in the eye and we could have a serious eye injury. And if I had a dollar for every time that I have seen someone get a minor scrape across the eye from a weapon shot I could buy a new car. Anyway I will leave this open to your discussion and thought. I have about $50 invested in my own safety equipment. If a $50 investment could save you thousands of dollars in medical expenses, time lost from work, pain, suffering isn't that $50 well spent?
Where ever coins jingle or plunder is promised you'll find a mercenary.
Thorne sword for hire
http://daguardian.blogspot.com
Thorne the mercenary
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2011
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, sword and board, archery

Re: Basic Safety Equipment

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:11 am

While I agree that safety equipment is well worth the investment, I don't feel that it's the place of the national organization to mandate it; individuals are responsible for their own safety.

The best solution is to change the way safety equipment is viewed culturally. Some people wrongly feel that they don't need it, or that it somehow makes them look weaker. One great way of encourage this is to post tutorials on the new website, once it is done and launched, to show easy ways to acquire and modify safety equipment for a reasonable price.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Tails » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 am

Thurat wrote:While I agree that safety equipment is well worth the investment, I don't feel that it's the place of the national organization to mandate it; individuals are responsible for their own safety.

The best solution is to change the way safety equipment is viewed culturally.

BAM! That. Right there. I got a pair of laX gloves and a pair of Airsoft Mesh Glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Tactical ... ggles+mesh
^Airsoft Mesh Glasses^
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:43 pm

How well do you see through that mesh, Tails? I've never seen anything like those before.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage

Postby Tails » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:33 am

Great, they might as well me low tint sunglasses. I've used them indoors and out. Highly reccomend.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Return to Rules Discussion And Development