layered paper and cloth

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

layered paper and cloth

Postby Saracen Moore » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:02 pm

I know that this account says I'm new but I have lost the information for my old account. I have read many of the forums information and i have been doing this sport combat since 97. as part of the hobby i have researched all manner of armors that could be used for this sport. Lately i have found paper armor as a legitimate medium. However I noticed in the book of war that because of the number of layers that would be required to create a reasonable thickness it would not be permissible. I found about 1/4 of an inch to be satisfactory to resist puncture buy a knife. I know this is accurate because i tested this theory. Now for the fear of De-lamination if the right glues are used and the right lacquers and resins are applied this will not be an issue. It would be period and correct. It would also open up a medium for artistic expression. For Cloth Armor you could even go as thick as 1/2 inch for cloth to be considered armor weight even though after looking at some gambesons 1/4 in or even less seems more plausible. I know there will be people who will try to twist these rules into knots to make armors that are cheap jokes of what the honest armorer intended. However I believe that cloth and even paper are legitimate mediums and should be allowed as armor when done corectly. thank you.
Saracen Moore
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2003
Realm: Tir nanog

Re: layered paper and cloth

Postby Derian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 pm

As it stands, as you've corrected noted, this armor is not legal in the Book of War. That said, I agree with you that this armor a) has historical precedence, b) could be made to be sufficiently encumbering so as to not unbalance gameplay, and c) could look super cool.

Ultimately, it boils down to the fact that this is not currently allowed. If you're interested in getting the rules changed, I would advise making some armor that means the above points and bringing it to some events. Talk to the head weapons checker at the event, show them your armor and explain what you're doing. Assuming that it won't break gameplay, isn't cheesy and looks cool, many weapons checkers would allow it on the field for a day or for a portion of the day.

From here, it's a matter of repeating this process, continuing to discuss it online and in person with other people, and once the game as a whole is comfortable with it and we can all agree on proper rules for it, it can be proposed by a War Council representative and included in the Book of War.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: layered paper and cloth

Postby Brutus » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:01 pm

The problem is that paper/cloth armor would be difficult to legislate to ensure that it is always encumbering. This is actually an issue even with chain (welded small diameter/small gage) and leather (ninja brig) where people found ways to make armor that passed the written rules but was not as encumbering as it used to be/was intended to be. With something like paper armor you introduce another way for people to "innovate" around the playability threshold. That would be the only obstacle I would see in getting the rules changed to allow it.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Return to Rules Discussion And Development