3.7.4 - Strikes from behind

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

3.7.4 - Strikes from behind

Postby Akroth » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

3.7.4. Combatants attacking an unaware combatant with a Class 2 or 3 weapon must shout “Two” with a two-handed Class 2 swing, “Three” with a one-handed Class 3 shot, and “Double” if with two-handed Class 3 attack as appropriate. If the weapon class is not called, the combatant should consider a successful strike to cause a single hit.

If the weapon class is not called, the combatant should consider a successful strike to cause a single hit.

I find this sentence problematic. It is often possible to tell whether a hit is one or two-handed based upon the force with which the shot was delivered or by observing the person who hit you AFTER you were hit (If someone is running behind a line stabbing/swinging everyone with a double, it's safe to assume that you were also hit by a double even if it wasn't expressly called).

There is no reason for which someone should take a single when they determine through observation that they should have taken a double.

If the weapon class is not called, and the combatant can not determine whether a single or double hit was delivered, the combatant should consider a successful strike to cause a single hit.

This makes significantly more sense to me. Thoughts?
Last edited by Akroth on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Re: 3.7.4 - Strike from behind with green weapon

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

I like it. I've heard the argument before that someone shouldn't have to take a two-handed strike to the back if the attacker didn't call it out, even if they saw it was two-handed. To me that's cheating, but the rule as it is supports it.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Rules Discussion And Development