How vital is role-playing?

Strictly In-Character Interaction

Moderator: Misc: DM Group

How vital is role-playing?

Postby ladybug » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:16 pm

So I have been 'fighting' for almost four years now and I have not even thought about building a character for myself or an actual fighting name (ladybug is the closest thing to a nickname I have ever had and I figure I should be something other than Amelia). I am therefore begging the question, how important is it for someone to have an alternate persona in this game? I don't role-play very easily and would really prefer to just stay myself. The garb I wear is any type of simple medieval clothing, nothing to fancy or time specific and I don't feel any special affiliation towards any group (or species). How many of you are you on the field?
Pancreas Monster
ladybug
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 May 2005
Realm: Gondor

Re: How vital is role-playing?

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:54 pm

RP isn't an overly important part of the game. The only thing that is required is having garb. People have persona's to the degree that they want to, and I think that is a strength of our group. You can do as little or as much as you want (to far either way though and someone will make fun of you).
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Black Cat » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:21 pm

If you decide to develop a character, don't rush into it. Think about what you really want to be and what kind of character would best represent your interests as well as your fighting skills. Also, make sure that if your character choice isn't popular among Belegrim for whatever reason, that you are willing to deal with the BS that comes with having an unpopular character choice.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Roland Demox » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:32 am

Black Cat wrote:Also, make sure that if your character choice isn't popular among Belegrim for whatever reason, that you are willing to deal with the BS that comes with having an unpopular character choice.

Like a dark feline thing that has a flying form
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Versago Hayashida » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:03 am

Demox wrote:
Black Cat wrote:Also, make sure that if your character choice isn't popular among Belegrim for whatever reason, that you are willing to deal with the BS that comes with having an unpopular character choice.

Like a dark feline thing that has a flying form

They were originally going to be cast for the Wizard of Oz.. but got rejected cause the monkeys could wear the hats better.
Ronin of Ered Duath
Versago Hayashida
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 07 Sep 2005
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Kittens of Battle
Favorite Fighting Styles: Club and Punch Shield, Red sword

Postby Spike » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 am

If I could give just one suggestion for if you decide to create a character start small. Just be some no named goat herder or something who randomly gets shanghaied into an army, and create who you are from there. Meet some guy and joined his unit? Talk about this great feat of strength or cunning he preformed to persuade you into fighting by his side. Go to an event? There was an epic war which you fought proudly and viciously.

More to the point, the things that commonly get mocked are those which would be fine if we were playing a game where those things would give them bonuses.

Having Special Powers Including, But Not Limited To:
-Flying
-Shapeshifting
-Fireballs
-Iceballs
-Lighting bolts

Here is a perfect example of horrible, albeit hilarious, character creation that includes many things that would be mocked.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Spike pretty much sumed up what I was going to say; then added a comic as a visual aid. * he's good.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood

Postby Outhro Youkker » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:27 pm

I love Goblins Comic
"Gobo, what are you cooking?."
"Boot still with foot."
"That is disgusting!"
"Gobo know, me hate feet"
Outhro Youkker
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2007
Realm: Umbar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Ogre's Butter Knife

Postby Todo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:56 pm

Goblins= the best comic evar.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby ladybug » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks for the advice. If for any reason what-so-ever I feel that I need to create an alternate persona, I'll start small and work my way up.
Pancreas Monster
ladybug
Thug
Thug

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:53 pm

I love role-playing, insofar as it doesn't interfere with what I want to be doing at an event, and doesn't hurt our image. In my experience, role-playing works out best when the players involved don't have to work at it to have fun. If you have to stop and think about how your character would respond under the current circumstances, then you suck at RP and everyone is rolling their eyes and laughing at you behind your back. Trust me on that.

Just chill out and let things flow. Not every instance of RP has to be dramatic, grim&dark, or LOLFUNNY. Not every character has to be motivated by REVENGE.

The best characters, as Spike outlined are humble, believable, and truthful to what your abilities are as a player. Somebody looks at you on the field and sees the character you are portraying and not some chump wearing a dress and Spock ears.

I gotta disagree with Black Cat about choosing archetypes that people hate. It doesn't really matter if you're an elf, guardian angel, a vampire, ninja, manbearpig, a flamingly gay flying anime half-elf half-wereneko half-burger flipping mercenary... If you can portray that character in a likable way, nobody will give you flack. The problem with all of those choices is that not only are they loaded archetypes with piles of pretension to sift through, but also the people drawn to them are usually incredibly unlikable in the first place.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Zwei ap Owen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Giggles wrote:Said some stuff

Exactly. Except for the part about being 'humble.' My persona is the Crown Prince of a Kingdom, so that **** goes right out the door.

Personally I think the best 'characters' are the ones you earn and develop through real interaction and experience in the game, sort of going along the lines Spike and Giggles have laid out. When I started I didn't have a 'character,' I just had my name, 'Zwei,' which is a nickname I'd had before I'd ever heard of you whackos. The 'ap Owen' part came later when I became a good friend and student of another older player, so we ret-conned it that I was his son (it also helped that we both had certain physical similarities like having red beards). I earned my place in House Wyndhaven by squiring, and my titles as a knight and Prince by excelling within the unit. Even my 'background' came about more through interaction with others than any carefully thought out story. For example, the fact that my mother was a witch whom my knight burned at the stake when I was an infant came out of a running joke (which is probably why it's so overly dramatic in the way only comedy can account for). Other details emerged through other means, such as playing at baubles, a game in which you bet what is in reality worthless crap which gains its values by the * story you make up about it. And so on.

What's important is that you don't let the role-playing thing overshadow your experience in what is essentially an athletic and social endeavor. Your 'character' should grow organically out of who you yourself are, and never be used as a tool to obscure yourself and try to be something or someone you really aren't.

In short: it can be fun, but don't over do it.
His Grace Sir Zwei ap Owen Liberator Domus Wyndhavinis
Arch Episcopus Venedotiae Dei Gratia
Dominus Meridiani Marchium
Miles Ordinis S. Mycaelis et S. Gorgii
Viking Illigetimus
Camhalta Fiannae
Lepidissimus Vir
Zwei ap Owen
Hero
Hero

Realm: Gwynedd
Favorite Fighting Styles: Excommunication

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 pm

And don't feel like you HAVE to if you don't WANT to. That side of things doesn't get represented in this forum very often, and I understand why (it is, after all, the ROLE PLAYING forum). But in short, it isn't vital at all.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Spike » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Jimmy, you're not vital at all.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:37 pm

Zwei, I bite my thumb at you, sir.

Be sure to have fun with it....and play Baubles.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby ladybug » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Directly after giggles wrote manbearpig I wanted to try being galbearpig, and then thought better of my rash decision making. Like I said, I am not all that comfortable with role playing, partly because I don't think I have ever had a character that fits me rather well. The advice from whomever said that I should let my character grow out my experiences in the game was good. I haven't fought regularly, so maybe when I can a character will develop. But for now, I am still a 22yr. old female, just human, who has an affinity for beer and bad movies.
Pancreas Monster
ladybug
Thug
Thug

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:06 pm

ladybug wrote:I am still a 22yr. old female, just human, who has an affinity for beer and bad movies.

A). are you single?

B). what is your favorite beer.

:D
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby ladybug » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 am

1) Yes

2) If my house were a bar I would never leave. I am partial to Guiness (as anyone in their right minds should be) but love to experiment and try new ales all the time. There was an ale house opening not too far from my apartment before I moved home, so now I have to find a new place of consumption.
Pancreas Monster
ladybug
Thug
Thug

Postby Shrike » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:29 am

ladybug wrote:But for now, I am still a 22yr. old female, just human, who has an affinity for beer and bad movies.

Define "bad movies"...

Also, I'm new to Bel, but i'm sort of picking up on when it's acceptable to start role playing and something that resembles guidelines to doing it

It's all well and good that you're this, this, and this.....but you just look like a * when it becomes painfully obvious (both to you and all of the laughing bystanders) that you aren't much of the "Blademaster" you (and your title) claimed to be.

I say be the best beer swilling human you can be and , if you want to, try something out sometime.
Your taste buds can't repel flavor of that magnitude!!
Shrike
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 25 Sep 2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fetal Position

Postby Zwei ap Owen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 am

Brenna Haldana wrote:
ladybug wrote:I am still a 22yr. old female, just human, who has an affinity for beer and bad movies.

A). are you single?

B). what is your favorite beer.

:D

For shame, you are a married woman.

And besides, you're doing it wrong. The only question you're supposed to ask is 'Here, drink this.'
His Grace Sir Zwei ap Owen Liberator Domus Wyndhavinis
Arch Episcopus Venedotiae Dei Gratia
Dominus Meridiani Marchium
Miles Ordinis S. Mycaelis et S. Gorgii
Viking Illigetimus
Camhalta Fiannae
Lepidissimus Vir
Zwei ap Owen
Hero
Hero

Realm: Gwynedd
Favorite Fighting Styles: Excommunication

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:33 am

Zwei ap Owen wrote:For shame, you are a married woman.

And besides, you're doing it wrong. The only question you're supposed to ask is 'Here, drink this.'

I fail to see what being married has to do with it. Remember, women are like Voltron; so the only thing better than one young, beer-swilling, bad-moving-watching chick IS TWO young, beer-swilling, bad-moving-watching chicks.

However I will bow to your more noble wisdom in the way of the drink-fu.

Ladybug, drink this.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby ladybug » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:55 am

As long as its anything other than the hard stuff. First time I got drunk was with the assistance of a Belegarth member. Three shots of Everclear and then the circle of death with Amaretto. I can't stand the hard stuff now. However, after a night of throwing my guts up, I was able to make it to my biology final at 8:30am and get a 96 on it. Not too shabby.

Bad movies- A movie in which either the plot, acting, or overall screen-play begs for someone on the production team to be tarred and feathered. When watching said movie, items available for throwing (such as food and pillows) as well as a private location are necessary (the sound level created by my commentary gets to be quite animated).
Pancreas Monster
ladybug
Thug
Thug

Postby Outhro Youkker » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Lets all watch cheesy Sci-fi at feast after a whole day of fighting.

The roleplaying I do is on and off.
At practice, every now and then, I rampage and roar as a goblin. Becasue I fight barefoot and my feet, ankles and shins get covered in dirt, mud and grass, we joke around about Goblin natural armor, or I am mutating into a hobbit.

If you want to roleplay, then go for it. if you want, roleplay yourself if you were of a medieval era.
"Gobo, what are you cooking?."
"Boot still with foot."
"That is disgusting!"
"Gobo know, me hate feet"
Outhro Youkker
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2007
Realm: Umbar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Ogre's Butter Knife

Postby bangor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 am

Keep it simple if you can. Bangor's backstory is this: "A barbarian walked out of the forest. He was thirsty." There is no need for a very long and contrived story, because just like in a campaign, what you are doing is far more important than what you were.

Unless sheep were involved.
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Tex » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 pm

I hardly ever role play at bel if ever.
When I do it's really easy because my character is just like me when my witty, sarcastic and slightly evil side comes out.
The backstory: I was a lowly hunter practicly starving to death when I was captured by some "old friends" and forced to fight in a week long battle where I mostly cowered in fear like a little girl until I hooked up with some buddies and found strenghth in numbers.

If I ever feel like it I'll go out and buy some fake halloween horns, and slap 'em on (I'm a tiefling) but that will probably be never. Such is the beauty of belegarth!
"Fails for flex."
"... That's what she said."
Tex
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Aug 2008
Realm: Nomad
Unit: AU
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Katsu » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Yeah. Mine is that I was overtaken by wanderlust and ended up in Shannara and stayed there. Ta da! Backstory in ten seconds.
Almost died of * Thaw Brawl '09

Witness to the Glowsticks-in-the-titties WoF '09

That Reaper...not that other Reaper.
Katsu
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 03 Apr 2005
Realm: Free sword
Unit: Reapers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearm, Sword and board, flourentine.

Postby tac the fierce » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:45 pm

To answer your initial question, role-playing is in no way vital to be in belegarth MCS. However, if your a multi-society player, as is my case, you might have to have a character, plus having a backstory gives you +5 coolness. :D
Spike wrote:Your tubgirl ain't got **** on 1guy1jar.

Demox wrote:I just jizzed myself a little
tac the fierce
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2007
Realm: IDK
Unit: Dark Skirmishers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Board, Spear, whatever kills you

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Her initial question was asked 4 months ago. I don't she was waiting for Mongo The Amazing Internet Junkie to come to her rescue.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby FrankManic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:19 pm

My character is a half Tank/half bear, who was taken in by necromancer-torturer-elf-republicans and taught the ways of hittingpeoplewithsticksfu by the ancient emperor of almost everything. Then they gave me a magic rock that could kill even the king of the bad * badasses if it hit him in the head and sent me out to collect scalps. If I get a thousand scalps they'll teach me how to transform into super-ursine-mega-fortress mode, and I'll become half lobster/half battleship and be worshiped by the bikinioids of Deltazon III.
FrankManic
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Jun 2002
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Picoseconds
Favorite Fighting Styles: Pointy end goes in the other man.

Postby Eris » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Bikinioids? Nice...
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Return to Role-Play