Charector Development

Strictly In-Character Interaction

Moderator: Misc: DM Group

Charector Development

Postby LoganSteele » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm

I am polishing off my characters background and I would like to confirm what I seem to have read so far. I have looked through the forums but no not see the answers so I am sorry if I ask a repeat question.

1) Is the Belegarth World set in the history of our Earth or is it another planet, dimension or something like that?

Since his creation Logan Steele has been a werewolf of mysterious origins as I learned about this great sport. I am very familiar with many forms of werewolf lore. My parents raised Hybrid wolves and as a kid my most of my chores were to care for them. I studied all I could about wolves and werewolves. The best (in my humble opinion) werewolf stories / explanations of all were from the white wolf universe. The core books set them in the present but some of the expansions in the game put them in the Wild West and even in medieval times. So I ask.....

2) Is a white wolf werewolf acceptable?

You may wonder what is the difference...well the biggest one is playability. The werewolf’s (they call themselves Garou) don’t all have their clothes ripped off as they are taught a simple spell they call a rite that binds their clothes and equipment with their spirit so when they change forms the clothes shift to fit or fade away. The werewolves are made with a gene not a bite transferred disease. Think Teen wolf. Logan Steele was born a human and at puberty to his werewolf parents pride changed. In the white wolf universe the low willpower angry werewolves may freak out and rip people apart and its worse during full moons but those with discipline (and experience points) can control their strong tempers and be fine 99% of the time. The werewolf form we all are aware of they don’t take unless things are going to die if humans are present. For various Garou reasons it is against their rules and I believe can even be put to death for it. This makes them very playable. I shall stop now and perhaps begin a Garou thread if other werewolves are interested in this topic.
Ambassador for Desert Wind Thane of Fenrirs Kin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2009
Realm: Desert Wind
Unit: Fenrirs Kin
Favorite Fighting Styles: reds - Javalin

Re: Charector Development

Postby Gámhain » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:39 pm

To answer your questions in order:

1) Is the Belegarth world set in the history of our Earth or is it another planet, dimension or something like that?

Yes to everything you just said. The Belegarth game-world is from human history, Middle-Earth, Faerun, Eberron, Tir na nOg, Olympus and any other Historical/Legendary/Fantasy setting that you could ever hear of or think up on your own.

If its historical, fantasy or legendary/mythological, you're good to go.

2) Is a white wolf werewolf acceptable?

Yes, as long as it is A) within Belegarth time-period (roughly pre-1400 A.D.) and B) it doesn't give you some sort of supernatural advantage. Basically, just because you are a werewolf, doesn't mean that you can shrug off shots just because the weapons weren't made of silver. Sorry, you can't soak Aggravated Damage in Belegarth... yes, I've played V:tM.

What you choose as your persona is entirely an aesthetic choice, and has no bearing whatsoever on the mechanics of the game. That is -of course- unless you are hosting a battle, in which case you can have special rules for races or whatnot if you really want to... just don't expect people who aren't big RPers to like it.

Long story short: Belegarth is a sport, not an RPG. If you want to be a werewolf, that's cool. If you want to go all-out and have human clothes for daytime, and at night wear badass Garou-type body suit and make up, there are many people -myself included- who will applaud your efforts and ingenuity (provided the costume isn't an epic failure). But your choice of race will have no bearing whatsoever on the actual game itself and how you play it.

Hope this was helpful.

-Gamhain
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby LoganSteele » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Very helpful. In no way do i seek powers or advantages. I plan to use it for RP storyline stuff and also use the symbols provided in that world on my garb and gear. For example one day i may find a silver cloth covering i could use as a cover, then paint the glyphs on the flat to make a boffer that looks like a klaive. It would be cool to have the symbol of the Philodox on my helm when i have it made and maybe the garou or silver fang symbol on my tabard and such. I simply wanted to know if his background needed him to have arrived via a moonbridge or if his hometown can already be here. Sounds more flexable then i imagined. For most people he will appear as a human with interesting symbols on his gear. Pretty much the same of everyone else. Those in the know will recognize those and when asked i will have answers as to why i use them. Also don't worry i wont be wearing any masks unless i find something amazing and even then it would be used rarely. He is a homid silver fang and so very comfortable as a human.

I am aware it will have no effect on the game play. My skills (or lack) will be all my own. : D

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Teej » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Pretty much, role playing is what you make it. I heard there was a Jedi group once, though I got this second-hand.

I'm essentially a loremaster in our realm. I take close notes of any significant events then write about it in an allegoric manner, meanwhile doing so in a very non-descriptive fashion. IE: I refuse to refer to historical units or cheesy units by name. This way I avoid a crazy story that involves celts, romans, werewolves, power rangers, orcs, and the * leviathan. We have 5 years of fluid allegoric history written in-character. Each chapter also has an out of character description of what really happened.

When I refer to groups that aren't canon according to my realm's canon standards... I either:

A) Describe Them: Romans -- an organized army clad in red.

B) Follow my realms canon rules: We have a strict ranger vs rogue theme, any non-ranger/rogue is referred to as a mercenary in the dual-faction conflict.

So what I'm getting at is, I have a large collection of conflicting personas that would formulate one crazy story that not even a 10 year old could make up if they wanted to. So all I do is stay away from specifics and keep to a certain code of canon requirements and our story really fits with anyone's idea of what Belegarth is... as a matter of fact, we have a Dagorhir chapter nearby that spins off of our lore because they started out with us. You're going to get everything from historical units, conan-inspired units, d&d-inspired units, stickjocks that come up with crazy personas for the comedic relief... etc.

Do what you want, just stick to your guns and back it up. You'd probably get a lot of crap for using a werewolf... werewolves and vampires have been horribly done in LARPing and carry a 'lame' reputation. No one's saying you can't turn that rep around though...
Last edited by Teej on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Gámhain » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Glad I could help.

Unfortunately, there is a huge lack of characterization in Belegarth. Very few people put much thought into their personae beyond a name and what kind of garb they want to have. Most people, in fact, have no back-story whatsoever, and some will even ridicule those who do.

The stick-jocks are everywhere. Don't let them discourage you.
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Caleidah » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Whatever you do, have fun with it. That is the most important piece of advice that you can take to heart when building your character. Make it something that you are proud of and enjoy, no matter what any naysayers think.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby LoganSteele » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:54 am

I look forward to the challenge. The nice thing about this type of werewolf lore from this gaming system is they are low profile. They hide and pose as humans as much as possible. I don’t plan to become fuzzy or anything. The only indicators will be some symbols on my garb most people will have no clue about. If people ask about my characters back ground he will have much human history to share while being able to leave out the "fuzzy" aspects of his life. I can share that part with perhaps close allies and if I find myself in an rp storyline down the road. I am ready for the haters but I do not think I will give anyone anything to hate on. I can completely understand why the bias against it is there. I have read the bad LARP pics thread often and wish to do all i can to not be on there more then i already am (there is one post of me during a practice before i had my garb when i first started).

Regarding the aggrevated damage thing...easy enough to simply explain it away as saying all weapons in belegarth do agg. damage due to the nature of the metals in the world (thats if i ever cared to come up with some rp reason).

LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Role-Play