Character Race Help (draconic)

Strictly In-Character Interaction

Moderator: Misc: DM Group

Character Race Help (draconic)

Postby MorkaiFenris » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:10 pm

So I was looking at the races part of the wiki...I know the topic has been covered about how to select a race. But what I wanna know would be how to go about being a race not mentioned.

I noticed the Wiki covers Lizardmen (FYI one of my favorite Warhammer fantasy armies) but I wanted to know how one would go about creating a draconic character race (half-dragon, dragonborn, dragonblood etc.)

The reason I ask, is because I have played draconic character types in DnD campaigns, and just love their play type. Now I know Belegarth doesn't have the non-combat oriented RP aspect that things like Rampant, or Nero have but I would really like some help with developing this idea a little further.
MorkaiFenris
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Dual hand axes, 2H hammer, sword-n-board

Re: Character Race Help (draconic)

Postby Cade » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Well you can develop it however you like. Write a backstory if you want and leave it at that...or you can portray it on the field.

Depending on how your character appears...that would mean probably some makeup and maybe even prosthetic ears or something.

Breathing fire would help, but i would start with things like the makeup and fake ears. Though if you were too learn how to spit fire, i would give you mad props on your character.

Any armor you make should be designed to look like dragon scale maybe? You could plastidip your shield up real nice with dragons and such. Maybe use weapons that dragonkin would use?

Let me add in my usual warning here though...Unless you are good enough to be impressive while fighting...i would pick something a little more normal. I'm not a prick, but slaying a dragon or dragonkin would be right up my alley, and i know lots of people who would do it just for fun, so...your going to run into the same problem as the people who want to be "Chosen" of this, or the "Chosen One" of that. It's an expectation thing.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Caleidah » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:41 am

Kade has a point as far as traditional dragons go.

Now, if you treat it like some fantasy series do, you could have it where your race is one that was aided by dragons back in the day.

As a rough alternate idea, how about this: Back in the day, the clan (then human) took it unto themselves to kill a dragon that had been raiding them from the mountains. The group that killed it and came in contact with the blood of the dragon began to transform (somehow, details come later) and came into alternate genetics simply due to the power of the magic in the dragon's blood.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby MorkaiFenris » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks guys...thats super helpful!

I'll probably stick with the human influenced by dragons idea...cause after considering what fighting a dragon or even a dragon born is like, I decided im not THAT good at fighting.

BUT...in all honesty i would welcome the challenge of having a target on my back, it would encourage me to work harder at becoming a better fighter. If you are continuously being attacked, then you are basically being forced to get better or die (again).
MorkaiFenris
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:52 am

MorkaiFenris wrote:Thanks guys...thats super helpful!

I'll probably stick with the human influenced by dragons idea...cause after considering what fighting a dragon or even a dragon born is like, I decided im not THAT good at fighting.

BUT...in all honesty i would welcome the challenge of having a target on my back, it would encourage me to work harder at becoming a better fighter. If you are continuously being attacked, then you are basically being forced to get better or die (again).

Dude just be dragonwhatever you're fine.

Whatever is fun for you, it is a game.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:22 am

Here's my advice. Whatever you decide to throw into a backstory, know that the best stories are the one's that actually happened. Write down what you've accomplished at events or at your home field and put whatever twist you like on it. Notable people you've slain on the field, or late night escapades, or "no **** there I was..." moments. If you're new, guess what? You have to get out there and make it happen.

I mean, my backstory is just, "I'm a gnoll from such and such. And then I found a sword."

When playing a tabletop game, what are your most memorable moments? Rolling the character and developing an elaborate history, or the crazy **** that actually happened after that? After all, it's called role-playing, not role-writing.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby MorkaiFenris » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 am

giggles--> thats actually great advice...cause now im even more motivated to get my armour and weapons done so I can get "stuck in" and start earning a name :axes:
MorkaiFenris
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Role-Play