javelin, mace combo

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

javelin, should be used as a projectile only, or is it fair to be able to also use as a shrt spear?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:31 pm

yes, its fair for both
100%
no, only as a projectile
No votes
i hate them period!
No votes

Total votes : 26

javelin, mace combo

Postby vek » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:31 pm

i've been toying with the idea of using a javelin and my mace as a combo, you know going flourintine with them. do you guys think this could be effective? what are the pros and cons?
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Maciah » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:56 pm

Though a javalin is smaller and lighter than a spear it just wouldn't be effective for florintine. It takes two hands on a jav to make the shots effective and hard enough, though I have seen one handed strikes that were well played. If going florintine with a barrel mace and a jav is what you want to do I suggest you start practicing with it, find moves that work for you, who knows you could become a great jav master.
Leo'vem De Griever
Maciah
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Djinn aka D » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:01 pm

i say that alls fair. i mean, if your goin for auithenticity, you can't tell me people didn't pick up javelins to shank someone or or pick up a broken spear as a javelin.
Djinn aka D
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 13 Apr 2003
Realm: Andor
Unit: Whatever I want

Postby vek » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:03 pm

true, but i cant shank someone in the face now can I? what i could do is puncture the four limbs walk back and then throw it, but thats jsut me... :devil:
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Djinn aka D » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:06 pm

no your just being difficult
Djinn aka D
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 13 Apr 2003
Unit: Whatever I want

Postby Syrus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:31 pm

Jav/mace is a good and effective style, if properly applied.

First: do NOT hold the point up. Hold the jav as if you'd throw it at any second, with the point down, gripped about halfway (but in your left.)

Second: the jav is your big, cheap, unbreakable shield, but it is flimsy. Try to punch-block, and respond with a quick jab into their leg, or hip.

Third: Unless you have a big * of a mace, learn the rush step. It WILL make the difference against shields. Move in quickly, and use the omnidirectional strinking surface of the mace as a drumstick and you're sounding the alarm all up and down their back.

Fourth: Throw the jav every once in a while, to keep them on their toes.
Shah-Syrus Of Horse Grave Horde
Master of the Crotch-Block.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Postby vek » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:19 pm

osiris you sound to be familiar with this strategy, thanx for the tips
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby glorfindel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:23 am

Theres a guy in my realm who does that with jav + sword with some sucess. He sometimes placed the jav on sword to get more stability with it.
glorfindel
Underling
Underling

Postby Syrus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:26 pm

No problem. Anything for a foamfighter.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Freyson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:43 pm

If you are going to throw the javelin and the rush in I would think it is a good idea for a first strike combo. If you are planning on not throwing the javelin then I would say it is a bad idea. Javelins are normally difficult to use one handed due to the padding compressing under the hand and the core flexing. About the only way to do this is to keep it in a throwing position and feint throws, or use it as a shield. This can be a good combo to keep people without shields at bay until your team can come to help out.

If you are seriously considering using a long stab and short hack combo, consider using a non-javelin short spear/long dagger. I have a rapier I use for fun on occasion. It is made out of a graphite golf club shaft with a dagger style tip and an 8? hand guard. Since there is no flex and it is very pommel weighted, it is extremely accurate in the stabs. Its overall length is about 40?. It has little use against armored opponents unless you hit perfectly in the armor gap and they decide to take it. Yet is has some great advantages against unarmored people. Most people see a weapon that size, rush and wonder why you are not swinging it at them, then impale themselves. It also has a very shallow angle of attack which most people are not used to blocking. A simple side step and cross body stab puts the tip into the opponent in a place they have never experienced. The first time I brought it to an event (playing a monster-type character) people laughed at it until about the third battle. The style of a one handed long stab can be very effective, with time and practice. But it is a style which will get you beaten down until you are proficient.
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kyrian » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:45 pm

As a variation of this, I've seen some fighters use a red sword held point down in their off hand while wielding a sword/flail/etc. as their primary weapon. If the red is stabby, they can attempt to snap the tip forward to stab. If they come up against a shield fighter or an armored opponent, they can immediately transition to breaking the fighter's shield or engaging him without worrying about the armor.

Kyrian
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magpie Saegar » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:10 pm

i've had a bit of success (against non-shield users) with a shortsword/stabbingjav combo.

i hold the javelin underhand near the butt end, and balance it on the flat of my horizontally held sword. this is great for ranged stabbing, and with a quick toss you can transition into jav throwing mode.

however, this is not very effective vs armored opponents (unless thrown) or shield-bearing opponents.

someone earlier mentioned holding it above your hand, as if you were about to throw it. i caution against this until you are well practiced... it is much harder to control your stabs this way. its and easy way to get face stabs.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Syrus » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:35 pm

Well, if used correctly, you'd have to be standing on your head for a face stab. I only said that to illustrate the grip and direction of the javelin. But unless you are about to throw (or feint a throw), the point should be held no higher than your navel.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics