26%
Tower Sheild
21%
No Sheild
7%

Total votes : 72

Sheild Types

Postby Taau » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:00 pm

Like the thread says what do you like to fight with?
Taau
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Galant » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:06 pm

well the teardrop is the closest to what i use. mine is more like a teardrop/heater shield.
Galant
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Aiden » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:00 pm

I say round shield, cause I only have two shields, that and a weird rectangle one. However, someday (funds allowing) I would like to make a teardrop shield.
Aiden
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Albion
Unit: Sons of Tara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Board

Postby vek » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:21 pm

roudn shield, except i made mine and the sides have a slight groove in them so as t ohelp support a spear or javelin.
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Nor » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:25 am

Personally I like a teardrop. It covers more and their pretty :) (mostly because they cover more.) Plus thats the shield I started off with sooo its what I know.
Nor~Elf of Fury
"That Elf Chick"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodelfnor/
All My Photos...so far
Nor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 May 2002
Realm: Khazad-dum
Unit: Dark Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Archery

Postby Ratagast » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:20 pm

I am all about the round sheild. it is simple easy to make and makes a great canvas to put symbols on 8)
Anathema (Formerly Sons of Thunder)
a unit of MUXLOVIA

We are so good that we get to lie down and make the rest of you fight the battles.
Ratagast
Underling
Underling

Realm: anathema

Postby Peregrine » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:36 pm

something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Black Cat » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:22 pm

I don't have a shield yet because I haven't had a chance to go to practice at all, but I am going to make a special teardrop shield that I can use normally and mount on my back, since I am going to be carrying both one and two handed weapons into battle. I mostly like teardrop shields for their look and their light weight compared to a tower shield.

Also, you forgot to put punch shields into the poll. I knew a few people in Darkholme mercenary company that loved to use those. That was actually the only type of shield they had when they were recruiting at Roy High toward the end of the 2004-2005 school year before they mysteriously vanished.

Darkholme was based in Roy City, Utah near Aquilonia realm. Heaven knows where they are at now.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby graavish » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:59 pm

i am a shield only type of guy right now because i like the defense they afford and i use two different types commonly i use the tower punch shield and then a round strap i am pretty good with the tower and am still learning with round i mostly used the round for the second time at wolfpack open and found that when i can when i can keep my legs safe which was about 50% of the time i was actual more effective cause my style of fighting is very mobile so i think once my knee heals up from the gym floor (forgot knee pads....stupid) then i will go over almost totally for the round
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Postby moondog » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:51 am

peregrine wants to be a knight of numenor and carry a heater... not a bad shield, i like a tower punch but i fight with a teardrop punch, i like a punch cause well i can punch with it and the tower covers the most but is a bit lunkier so i run with the fury a small teardrop punch shield for full manuverabilty
lately though i've been wanting a strap round i don't know why i hate those things but i've gotta learn someday... stick with one thing to long and you could easily get stagnant and fall into bad habits
-SHAOLIN DARK ANGEL-
put sum taste in ya mouf
moondog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Vokor » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:51 pm

Well said Tiji, hope to see you at our opener. I know you want to show out in front of all those people!!
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby moondog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:49 am

HELLZ YA SIGN ME UP AND PM ME WITH THE INFO AND I'LL GET YOU MY MONEY... just started back working outside on some legetimate **** so i'm happy($) and ready for the dur d souf homey
-SHAOLIN DARK ANGEL-
put sum taste in ya mouf
moondog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Winfang » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:36 am

There are more then just those three types of shields. I use a heater shield the majority of the time, but I have trusty tower shield too. I've got eleven shields at my house.

2 retangle tower shields
2 coffin tower shields
3 medium size punch shields
2 round shields
1 tear drop shield
1 heater shield
Plus some broken small punch shields

All the shields have their own pros and cons. The heater shield has corners that I've come to use and rely on. The round shield is lighter and can moves easier. Tower shields are great defense but are default to move when compared to rounds and heaters.

Straps and Punch shields both have their own pros and cons. A strap is very stable, but typically heavier. A punch is lighter but it's not as stable as a strap.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Fenris » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:37 pm

there was nothing about strap or punch , cored or coreless on the poll.

I usually fight with a corless punch but having angmarth bash my * every fight I see the advantage of the numinor heater
God Bless America!
Fenris, Out
Fenris
Underling
Underling

Postby Faolan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:17 am

Geez Winfang, Share the wealth.

I like my strap round, mostly because I can hang it of my back.
I can also hang it off my shoulder when I am using a polearm. Very nifty.
It is curved so it deflects shots away from the body. Still learning to guard my legs tho'.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Black Cat » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:22 am

Yeah, I used a sword and teardrop shield when I first met the members of my realm, some of whom I had met before then, and I got hit in the legs in less than 2 seconds.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Osric » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 am

I'm a fan of the teardrop strap. Just as fun as a round but you avoid the legshots just a little longer. I don't like towers. They kind of take the fun out of it all for me. Rounds are great too though.
lol signature
Osric
Thug
Thug

Postby savetuba » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:58 am

with a tower you may as well hide behind a movable wall. and then there are those who fight with them and say they are good fighters. :roll:

Rounds make you work to block shots, not just hold the "wall" and maybe move it a little.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Od1n » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:10 am

savetuba wrote:with a tower you may as well hide behind a movable wall. and then there are those who fight with them and say they are good fighters. :roll:

Rounds make you work to block shots, not just hold the "wall" and maybe move it a little.

Why can't you be good if you fight with a tower shield? I don't but just curious why you think the type of shield you use makes you not as good of a fighter.
I am Odin
Od1n
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1921

Postby savetuba » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:26 am

try to get any tower user to use a round and watch him/her. With a tower they fight better because they don't have to worry about blocking a lot of shots where as a round they have to use the sheild in a more active roll.

It is all about sheild usage. they will still be able to fight with a stick, but how well do they usethat sheild?
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fenris » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:36 am

So sorry that some of us are taller than others and a dinky little rounds isn't enough to protect our legs, with any effectivness

Same reason 100 lb kids don't use my red, they are not big enough to use it, I don't try to use puny little rounds cuz, I'm too big to be very effective with it. to each thier own.

and don't get * cuz you can't get around a tower.
God Bless America!
Fenris, Out
Fenris
Underling
Underling

Postby Od1n » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:43 am

savetuba wrote:try to get any tower user to use a round and watch him/her. With a tower they fight better because they don't have to worry about blocking a lot of shots where as a round they have to use the sheild in a more active roll.

It is all about sheild usage. they will still be able to fight with a stick, but how well do they usethat sheild?

So you are saying not having leg work, and not using a round shield makes you a bad fighter?

Ok.
I am Odin
Od1n
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1921

Postby Black Cat » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:50 am

Savetuba, have you tried using a smaller red sword against people with tower shields? I am just wondering because that is what I am wanting to try. I may try gimping my opponent by hitting them on one of their legs before I try to break their shield. I am also going to have a stab-tip on this sword, so that I can thrust through my opponent's defenses if I get such an opening.

Some comments or suggestions on this tactic would be welcome.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Killian of Andor » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:52 am

Stabbing is always nice.
Killian of Andor
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 25 May 2005
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Digoza » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:57 am

savetuba wrote:try to get any tower user to use a round and watch him/her. With a tower they fight better because they don't have to worry about blocking a lot of shots where as a round they have to use the sheild in a more active roll.

Yeah, but the same pretty much applies when us (round shield users) pick up a tower shield. I don't like using tower shields, quite honestly, for no other reason than I just don't like using them, plus they're awkward for me because I'm SO used to have a smaller shield and using my footwork and moving the shield around a lot. And, the few times I've used a tower, I'm so used to using a round shield that I'll move the tower shield like I would my round to block a shot, when, in actuallity, I could just move one direction like an inch, and then I end up creating HUGE openings on myself and I get killed. In all honesty, what type of shield you use does not dictate how good of a fighter you are.

Your example of "Give a tower user a round shield....." you save that they suck as a fighter because they're not used to having to move their feet or shield to not get hit in the legs....the reason that is is because THEY'RE NOT USED TO USING ONE OF OUR SMALL SHIELDS!!!!!!!!!! Now, if you're going to say "hey, they're a **** fighter cause they use a larger shield than I do" you should really try fighting them with them using the stuff they're accustomed to. When you win a couple fights in a row, then you can say "you're not as good a fighter as I am" (even though that's being a bit of a poor sport and being arrogant isn't cool).

So, next time, look at it from all the angles and analyze why someone's not going to do as good with a certain piece of equipment vs. a piece of equipment that they're used to before you start claiming that the way someone fights and the equipment they use makes them a better or worse fighter.

Though, the one thing I do agree with is that tower shields do make some (not all) people lazy with their footwork; however, most people I know that use towers still use a LOT of footwork.
Digoza
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2005
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Dagger

Postby savetuba » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Fenris wrote: and don't get * cuz you can't get around a tower.

I can get around and through a tower, but those that are more of a challenge for me are the round users. (unless they are in a line then they will stand still long enough for me to get several good shots :P )

Sure most are not going to be able to use something thay havn't used but surly a sheild is a sheild just like a sword is a sword. In other words; same princapals, different stratagies.

Digoza wrote:a LOT of footwork

from what I have seen, a lot of forward foot work. :P

Bishop wrote:So you are saying not having leg work, and not using a round shield makes you a bad fighter?

Or maybe I'm hinting at a sheild man could learn a lot by changing sheild type and possibly become a much better fighter because of it.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Gudge » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:51 pm

I usually try to go between the tower strap and the round strap shields, but usually if i am at an event or somewhere out of my own realm I will use a tower. I mostly use a tower because i am 6'7" and a round will not protect my legs as well as a tower, but i prefer the round because of the ability to move the shield a whole lot faster, and it makes me able to not rely on the extra length of the tower.
Putt Putt Golf is NOT about killing people

One of the Two that caused Numenor to ban rocks...HAHA *

Two lefts, a *, and a firehydrant
Gudge
Grunt
Grunt

Realm: Khaza dum
Unit: Horde

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics