tips for a *

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

tips for a *

Postby vek » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:45 pm

i have just got a new * sword in my possession. trying to decide the best ways to weild it safely, effectively, adn to stay alive as long as possible. thanks! :armor1:
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kyrian » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:45 pm

If you're going with the definition of a * sword being a hand-and-a-half sword (sword blade under 36") and only using the * sword...

1) Use a buckler or some other type of shield. Without one, you can be very vulnerable to missiles.
2) Wear armor.
3) Get comfortable at sidestepping and avoiding blows rather than standing there and blocking.
4) Practice counterattacking after a person has swung--timing is critical. Also, get comfortable at blocking and immediately following up with an attack that flows from the block.
5) Consider using a Class II or a medium-length sword and shield. A * sword will only count as Class I when swung with both hands and cannot break shields nor go through armor with one blow. A Class II weapon does both. A * sword tends to be unwieldy at close range, i.e., within 1 to 1 1/2 steps from your opponent. A medium sword (24"-32" blade) has pretty good maneuverability at close and medium range while the shield will be more protective.
6) Until you get comfortable with controlling the weapon, try to keep your swings below the shoulders. Anything higher increases the chances of inflicting head shots.
7) Don't engage your opponents head-on. Against a shield fighter, the stand-up fight will be a tough one. Avoid facing more than one fighter at a time. Choose your battles...don't let them choose you.

I can't emphasize enough how important your mobility and footwork will be if you choose to fight with a * sword by itself.

Kyrian
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby glorfindel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:46 am

Remember to control your swings. Dont overswing, keep your sword as close to your centerline as possible. This will let you defend/counter attack much faster and keep you better protected.

Also if they are using sword and board, I have found going for the sword arm as they swing to be effective a lot.
glorfindel
Underling
Underling

Postby Syrus » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:39 pm

A neat little one-trick pony that has helped me against the evil shield-bearers:

Leg 'em and leave 'em.

Gimp two or three and come back with buddies.
Or bowl them over and use their shield against them.

Really, just be creative, and don't forget all the options you have at your disposal.
Shah-Syrus Of Horse Grave Horde
Master of the Crotch-Block.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics