Woods Fighting

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Woods Fighting

Postby Aiden » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 pm

Because Winter War is the soonest event I should be attending, and because I've heard its all woods battles I was wondering if there are any pointers anyone has on woods battles. The only woods battles I've ever done have been duels. Whats the ideal equipment to have for woods battles? What's some tactics I should use/prepare for? Etc.
Aiden
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Albion
Unit: Sons of Tara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Board

Postby Syrus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:21 pm

A fast flanker loves the woods because trees can stop swords...
Shah-Syrus Of Horse Grave Horde
Master of the Crotch-Block.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Mawr » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Grow eyes in the back of your head. Also, be mindful of your surroundings and where your opponent is moving. Don't bash someone against a tree, for example. We'll just end up feeding you to the alligators.

Use the trees and foliage to your advantage. Find terrain that will slow down the enemy while they approach you.
"I guess what I'm trying to say is, the creationist booklet was to religious literature what tubgirl is to pictures of people having sex." -- Aria
Mawr
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Bushi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:40 am

I would be wary of archers and polearms. Anything with range that can occupy difficult terrain is good for this senario. A little less likely would be javs and rocks, but I wouldn't be suprised to see some. Constantly move, but move as quietly as you can, and listen for any noise caused by movement around you.
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of the future, or where it will take us. We know it is always born in pain.
Bushi
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed Spear
Florentine

Postby Aiden » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 pm

so the fights at WW involve sneaking around. How big are the areas we play. Curious as to the amount of sneaking done before fights happen.
Aiden
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Albion
Unit: Sons of Tara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Board

Postby Vokor » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:38 pm

not very big at all but a lot of fun
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby Zzyzx » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:09 pm

Yeah, we've had a couple of people eaten by alligators. Torquil, Fenris...

(luckily they signed waivers)
Zzyzx

Postby Mawr » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:50 am

Zzyzx wrote:(luckily they signed waivers)

The Southern Marches Motto is: "Hey, you signed a waiver!"
"I guess what I'm trying to say is, the creationist booklet was to religious literature what tubgirl is to pictures of people having sex." -- Aria
Mawr
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby glorfindel » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:09 am

put a shrubbery on your head and pretend to be a tree. then when the enemy turns their back to you, kill em.
glorfindel
Underling
Underling

Postby debuenzo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:57 pm

basically just be aware of your surroundings

know where the other team is....and know where your own team is

.....and dont get legged on a trail not traveled much....youll be there for awhile (w00t)
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Domoviyr » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:56 pm

I personally think that there are two drastically different types of fighting: head-on-head field fighting and guerilla warfare. Each of these requires the use of their own types of tactics.

Head-On-Head Field Fighting is what happens when you have a wide open space with plenty of room to manuevre. The goal is to break your enemies unity and to kill them without decreasing your own. The bigger and better organized the group, the better it does at field fights. Larger weapons are often prefered for incredible offense, as are large shields for protection. Arrows tend to be the most effective missile because they have a longer range and decreased rate of deflection then the javie.

Guerilla Warfare (like the kind often used in Woods Battles) is another matter entirely. Where field battles are often decided by sheer brute force, a certain level of cunning is needed to excell in a guerilla situation. The goal is to isolate your enemy and kill him quickly without him being able to call for reinforcement and to fade into the forest as if you were never there. Lightning speed and efficiancy are the most favorable qualities here. It is beneficial to operate in small, well organized groups (after all, small groups are more manageable and better at sneaking than larger ones). Small weapons and shields practical for swift, silenct movement are best in this scenario. I find javies to be of specific use in this arena for they are not only useful as missile weapons (often close-range is all that is possible) but they can be good hand-to-hand weapons as well. The efficiancy of arrows strictly depends on the terrain, open forests meaning that arrow work well, and heavily vegetated forests being a hinderance to arrow usefulness.
Victory favors neither the righteous nor the wicked. It favors the prepared.

Ravager Direwolf of the Uruk-Hai
Domoviyr
Underling
Underling

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics