Improbable Weapon

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Improbable Weapon

Postby Bushi » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:35 pm

I have been inactive for a while, sorry. I have an intrest in constructing Asian weapons, more specifically, Japanese. If anyone is familiar with the design of the jitte, would you please help me find a way to make it legal?
The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of the future, or where it will take us. We know it is always born in pain.
Bushi
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed Spear
Florentine

Postby Thorondor » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:33 pm

Here's some pictures that I found (gotta love google image search)

http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~bankeshinobi/Ingu/jitte.JPG
Best I can tell, #2 is the Jitte: http://www.rolemancer.ru/newspics/898_jitte.jpg
http://www.practice-swords.com/images/p ... 052-gt.jpg

That being said, they seem to be very close to a sai. The inital setbacks I see would be:
1) Hinge to get the side-bar attached would be fragile
2) Could easily trap a weapon (and that means a finger, limb, etc)
3) Tip would have to be large enough, making the weapon look kind of freaky.

The best thing I can think of would be to just attach a foam hilt to the top of the handle of a saber/sword/etc to make it look like a jitte.

Hopefully with those pictures someone more experienced in foam smithing can help you.

~Thor~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Chicken » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:23 pm

I think if you really want one, you're going to be best off making the extra sword-trapping bit like an odd crossguard, and being careful to make it come close enough to the blade that it can't trap weapons (and thus not fingers, hands, etc.), and it's still going to be a crap shoot whether it passes at any given event.
If you tried to make it so it can actually catch weapons, it'll also be able to catch wrists and it won't pass.
Crossguards aren't technically subject to the 2.5" striking surface rule or the 2" pommel rule (though they may sometimes be tested that way anyway), so that'd be your best bet for not having it look stupid.

For more information, and for other "can I/how do I build this" type questions, try the Foamsmithing forum.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics