SCA tactics/training: good information

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 16

SCA tactics.

Postby Izanaki » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:59 am

I have been recently reading various things written by SCA fighters on their ideas, strategies, and tactics, and was wondering if anyone else has done so, or even fought SCA, and if they have, what have you thought about the way that they fight.

Most of what i've read has been stuff i've found on google, so once i can get a hold of those sites i've bookmarked, i'll post them so you can get some idea of what i mean.

Atlantian Army BMT Manual

Melee training manual
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Winfang » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:12 am

I've read most of the that are out there. There is alot of good information that can be found in SCA training manuals. You just have to remember that some it needs to be adopted for foam fighting. Proper swinging can learned from them as well as melee tactics.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Izanaki » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 am

Yeah, thats true, especially since some moves are meant more for head shots. I liked their info on shield work specifically in teams, and the like, but i really like a site that i found that had veteran SCA fighters video taping, while teaching tactics and basic fighting with sword/board, polearms and spears, and most of the videos are like 30 min, so they really get into it well.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Kage » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:15 am

I actually fight with an SCA style known to my unit as Tarragon. The original creater His Royal Highness Brion Anthony Uriel Tarragon has been fighting for a very long time probably 20+ years. Knowing what I do of the man I know that he can take crown (the tournament for who becomes king of the area) ANYTIME he chooses to. HRH Brion Tarragon taught most of the knights in the kingdom of artemesia. However, sadly HRH Brion Tarragon has a thing about foam fighting people, and doesn't respond very often to my emails conserning information on the style. It was a real disappointment to me to find that out. You can read the bottom of my wiki page for my fighting lineage.

So if you want my opinion on SCA fighting in general. Yeah, most of the people know what they are talking about. It must be adapted to fit the style of fighting within Belegarth, but I have found it to be IMO somewhat superior in regards to other styles of fighting in Belegarth. If you want some of my own links to SCA pages just pm me and I will get them to you.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Chicken » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Kaiba wrote:Yeah, thats true, especially since some moves are meant more for head shots. I liked their info on shield work specifically in teams, and the like, but i really like a site that i found that had veteran SCA fighters video taping, while teaching tactics and basic fighting with sword/board, polearms and spears, and most of the videos are like 30 min, so they really get into it well.

Do you know what site that was? I've been looking around for anything on spear tactics but haven't managed to find anything... .
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Kaegan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:08 pm

SCA manuals, in general, are a good source of new ideas. just remember that as far as melee tactics go - in the sca you can not be attacked in the rear, and most of there formations/ tactics are based on a purely frontal conflict. in Belegarth it's much more difficult, and takes much more disciplin/ training to effectively use the larger part of sca tactics due to the ability of others to flank, and attack from the rear. Be creative and alter the tactics to fit in our "skirmish" sport.
Kaegan
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Izanaki » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:43 pm

Chicken wrote:Do you know what site that was? I've been looking around for anything on spear tactics but haven't managed to find anything... .

http://www.midrealm.org/kith/kith/

Most of these files are HUGE, like some were i think around 423MB for one video, and others were around 94, and then 40MB so, it varies by movie.
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics