Line Fighting

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Line Fighting

Postby Digoza » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Well, what with Wolfpack Season Opener right around the corner (this Sunday) and event season starting back up; figured I'd throw this out there.

Well, knowing that there's not really much to be done during line battles until after the initial skirmish that kills 60% of the combatants on the field; what are some good tips or tactics to use while in the line before and during the initial class; and, assuming you survived the front lines, what are some good things to do once it's broken down into small skirmishes across the battlefield?
Digoza
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2005
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Dagger

Postby Derian » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Well, I suck at line ****. I hate it. I will do almost anything to get out of a line up if I ever find myself in one, but I can offer up some pretty basic tips.

Don't attack the person right in front of you; attack the people next to them. If everyone on the line does this, you should be golden.

Watch for archers. Too often people will get into a line, get in the habit of blocking and watching for the cross shots and will completely forget about the archers, and I can guarantee that 90% of the archers are gonna be shooting for zoned out faces.

This isn't so much specific to line fighting, but still is applicable. Stand with your shield leg forward and 95% of your weight settled on your back leg. If a swing comes for your front leg, don't move your shield. Just transfer the 5% of your weight and pop that leg back. This way, if there's a followup/simultaneous upper body shot, your shield is right there to block it.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby graavish » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:13 am

i find line **** quite difficult as well almost as much as i dislike line fighting.
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Postby Kyrian » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:09 am

As a shieldman, defend the polearms and spears. Ideally, they're the ones that should be doing the majority of the killing and wounding. If you've ever seen two spears working in tandem, you'll know what I mean.

As an archer, I like working behind the line. My primary targets are spears/polearms/leaders (even better if the leader is using a spear or polearm--Borric :angel: ) then archers, and finally shields. I may end up working counterfire only if I know there's a particularly skilled archer across from me. Even if it's only to keep the archer occupied, that will give my side time to break through their line. Any shot I prevent the enemy archer from making keeps one of ours from getting wounded or killed.

Once the lines have broken, try to stay together with some of the people on your side so you can provide mutual support. If you prefer being on your own, that's your prerogative. And always check your 6. In such a confined space, that person you think is on your side might not be.

Kyrian
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Kaegan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:49 pm

First off, on contrary to your opening statement, a line can be devestating at the begining of the battle if well organized and with strong leadership.

The main reason why lines typically don't work in our sport is because of two reasons:

1. WAY too many flankers

2. VERY poor leadership, and organization.

but fortunatly there are ways to avoid these pitfalls.

1. Good leadership is essential for the line to be able to compete with the skirmishers, If no one issues commands, or no one listens, the combatants in the line tend to work more or less indipendently, and as a whole the line reacts VERY slowly and innefitiently. In this sport speed is such a huge factor that failing to act(or acting to slow), is Failing.

Develope a chain of command, teach combatants to listen and quikly react to commands.

2. To defend from flankers use smaller a number of detachment skirmishers to engage and delay flankers. This is a more difficult step. These skirmishers are NOT to kill the flankers, only to stay alive and prevent the flankers from engaging the line for about 10- 15 seconds. During this window of time the line must VERY VIOLENTLY charge the main body of enemy combatants, and dispatch them within the 10 - 15 second window.

points of note:

1. Stabbies and shooties do the killin. unless pressed, take your time, have the shieldmen protect the others, and let the spearman and archers pick off the enemies.

2. when engaging with shieldman, do it HARD.. Always charge and intend to knock people over. this initial impact decides the outcome. If they are unorganized, and your organized you will win.

3. when one shieldman is fighting you ALL are fighting. never sit back and watch a fight- this takes the whole point of the line away.

4. When your shieldman are in combat, end the fight Quikly (2 -3 seconds) because in this period if someone flanks you, you are dead.

5. as stated before attack the adjacent enemy, they are less likely to be watching you.

6. and Once again, Leadership is Key # 1, if you cant work together perfectly. leave the lines for the big boys
Kaegan
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:22 am

Personally I enjoy using a glaive or spear.

I stand next to a compitant sheild man (not one who will just stand there, but one who knows that you are there and will help you)

I aim for:

1 legs; just below the knee. Most shield men in a line won't be able to block thier legs. And if they have a tower and they try pinning your glaive under the sheild have the sheild person rush him/her and they will raise the sheild long enough for a quick leg shot before the sheilds colide.

2 Sheilds; pushing on one side of a shield can open that person up for another spear, jav, glaive, or arrow to kill him/her. (or in my case a rock)

3 body; if a sheild man attacks with any type of blue they will leave their body open for a kill for a second or two. Watch the opposite line and make sure they think your staby is near their feet. Have your sheild man feint and quickly pop in to take the kill.

4 Arms; Usually after someone has been leged they leave a small gap just above them. quickly push your glaive in that gap and swing side to side to score several arms and a possible kill.

Dirty tricks is to use a glaive and a jav. hold the glaive like you would a sword and try to keep the handle out of the way. enemy will only see the sword and jav. Toss the jav up or towards a flank and qucikly move in for a leg.

Once any person is leged on a shield line, pull the staby back in to you (like pulling on a rope) and dart it back in just above the person's head(clipping the sheild helps other stabies get in the kill) and start swinging it around. You will eventually conect with an arm or body or, if you are lucky, another fighter who was hiding behind that sheild person.

If you are working with a good archer the archer will watch for your leg shots and quickly fire a shot into the gap created by the leged person. Ussualy at a fellow staby or another archer who isn't expecting the arrow. Also helps if the archer keeps the arrow trained on the sheild persons so that they all keep their sheilds up to protect their faces and not their legs.

Personally I think spears/glaives get more of a work out in line fights.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics