The mighty newbie strikes again.

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

The mighty newbie strikes again.

Postby Piotr » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:18 am

There are online instructions for creating blue swords, glaives, red swords, and nigh everything else. There don't seem to be any for the very basics of fighting, though, except for SCA and "lightest-touch combat" styles.

At SUNY Albany, a guy holds irregular meetings teaching SCA boffing. That's great and all, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work well for Belegarth purposes -- the three basic shots target the head pretty aggressively. We wear hockey masks. ;)

In conclusion to my long-winded and round-about manner of asking a question, is just taking to the field with a couple of blue swords and shields the best way to learn Belegarth combat? Or are there particular things that need to be paid attention to?
Piotr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby graavish » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:11 am

just go for it when you get a little more expierenced some training after a hard day of fighting is good but before that i think you just need to fight cause someone can show you a shot all day long but if you throw a couple of times in grand melee your just going to remember it better

now there are standard shot that everyone throws the wrap, cross-over etc.etc. and i did need someone to show me these and i kept trying them in combat and not getting them but eventually after awhile i started training me reflex muscles and such to throw them the correct way and started getting them

in the end i think it is a combo of both with about 30% training 70% actual fighting

just don't train more than you actual fight becaus ei totally disaggree with that philosophy and the majority of people i see do it get chomp for all of that magical training
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Postby Kage » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Just because it is an SCA boffer doesn't mean it won't help. Many of the shots can be adapted to fit a Belegarth fighting style. You said that the three main shots are head shots right. Well simply change the angle of the shot and it will connect with a different target area, preferably the upper back or shoulder. However training one on one practicing the shots in my opinion does do quite a bit on learning.

Also make a pell. If you don't know what that is, it is just simply and up right target that you can hit all day long if you wanted to. When using a pell though do not go fast and hard, go slow and light. Doing this will improve your ablitly to throw the shot correctly, and accurately. speed will come from your muscles memorizing what they need to do for specific shots.

I say this because I use an SCA adapted style for belegarth. The actual style orginated from, I believe he is king, HRH Brion Anthony Uriel Tarragon in the Kingdom of the East. You should ask the boffer teacher if he has heard of him. Anyway if you have any other questions that you would like to ask me feel free to pm me.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Syrus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:24 pm

If you can, look into escrima. Pick up a book at your library. It has drills to use on your pell to develop effective combat rhythms.
Shah-Syrus Of Horse Grave Horde
Master of the Crotch-Block.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Kaegan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:14 pm

AS of yet there are no resource manualls for belegarth geared toward sport training. But I am currently working on such a system. While sca fighting is geared much different than ours, reading their resource manualls can be very informative, and can be altered to fit within the scope of our sport.
As of the moment the best advice I can give you is to find a "experienced" fighter willing to teach you step by step.
If teaching others I strongly recommend going "SLOWLY" and Ephasize on basics, basics, basics. Proper stance, Swings, and utilizing "Homebase"; these tools are essential. Start with single sword, learn those basics and get comfortable using them, then go on to sword and board - or your prefered style. Repeat basics over, and over again because it's difficult to unlearn bad habits.
Kaegan
Toadie
Toadie

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics