Helmets

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Helmets

Postby Chicken » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:55 pm

I still haven't made one for myself, but I'm wondering of those who have what their thoughts are on the tradeoff between protection from arrows versus potentially limited visibility and hearing (and increased heat).

I'm particularly curious how any Uruk-Hai feel, since it seems like they could be more useful when used by a large group together, since the whole band would be less attractive archery targets and might thus draw a disproportionately smaller amount of fire.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:34 pm

I havent used my shiney new helmet at an event yet, let alone fought archers with it. I can say it makes archers shoot at you less if you have a shield, and if it's properly strapped onto your head the vision isnt that bad. Heat is as issue sometimes, but drinking TONS of water and taking breaks helps. Sound isnt really hampered for me, but other designs might be.
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Postby savetuba » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Open faced helms still invite the archers to target your head. Remeber the armour is only as good as the area it covers. So open faced helms means archers will still target your face.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Mercer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:44 am

Still, it gives you a better chance than going without; at least, if they have to shoot your face, you have a chance to see it coming and duck. No helm/coif/etc., and they can shoot you in the side or back of the head, and then you're out.

Better a small chance than none.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Peregrine » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:47 am

I know that I look for targets with out helments. I try to take out the pole arms first.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Vokor » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 pm

hell dopp will shoot you in the head woth a helm! cuase when he hits you, you look at him and his team has a opening to kill you.
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby Physic » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:58 pm

I dont know why this is but I notice that I take a lot less head shots when I have my helm on.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby moondog » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 am

i've always thought helms were dope... its just finding the one that works for you and then makeing or buying it... i like to make all my own armor and a helm is no diff, i just gotta finish a face mask and its all good.
two thumbs up for a full helm, shutting archers down shutting em down
-SHAOLIN DARK ANGEL-
put sum taste in ya mouf
moondog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Diego the Goat » Tue May 16, 2006 2:10 am

See my helm in the pic on the left - 100% visibility, 100% hearing.

There's no tradeoff - and although the face is open, you keep your head down, and with a small brim, the face as a target becomes negligible. I've been wearing it for about 10 years now, and have only been shot in the face twice. Once by Granifar, and once by Kegg.
"The last thing you want is my undivided attention."

Sir Diego the Goat
The Goatlair
Diego the Goat
Underling
Underling

Postby Orion Nomad » Mon May 22, 2006 2:01 pm

I have a buttload of helms. I was buying them befor I ever herd of belegarth. Which means most of them look cool but you cant fight in em. The LotR Elven helm for example. I have a bunch that are metal.Heavy and hard to secure and they tend to wobble block vision and heat up real quick except my corinthein helm this has heavy foam inside that holds it in place its also lighter becarse it was never made for SCA.They are about 29.00 to 39.00 on ebay . however for my $$ I prefer leather. Lighter and will mold slighty to your head so it is'nt tipping all the time Since vision is of major concern I sugest an open face. I like a nasil or occular guard they may still call a face shot but you wont feel it. My sons bothe have leather helms sometimes they will wear them mostly not Ian wears a leather version of the Roman Infantry helm ***** and sean has a Viking helm with occulars and neck covering.
I recently had a helm made for me by hunter craft Check buy sell trade I thought iwould be a little gheavy and prehaps tippy when worn. NOT SO it was like I had no helm on at all Save for the horse tail and then only when I triped over the dead and dieing and tried to roll straight back it cought momentarly behind me It also took a few javlin hits I hardly felt em .Thanx alot Aphex. I cant say enough good about the helm its got some kinda of sealer on the inside so it wont warp or soak up water, sweat, urin ect. well thats my views and my lunch hr gotta go!
Orion Nomad
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1983

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics