A couple of escrima videos on google video

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A couple of escrima videos on google video

Postby Kyrian » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:17 am

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2018946481619633886&q=escrima

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=977613058102463199&q=escrima

One of the things to keep an eye out on is how footwork is an integral part of their drills. Notice also how when fighting with single stick they use the open hand as a "check" instead of just keeping it in one place.

Kyrian
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sir Cairbre » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:37 am

It's an interesting video. First off I have never heard of these guys. I wonder what the relivancy of the stick fighting is? There are some issues here... First off the lack of a full gauntet or cage on the sticks. These guys although may be trained professionals, if joe-firsttimer tried this with rattan he would be seing a trip to the ER with a couple of bloodied broken fingers after one or two missed blocks. Obviousely it is all about selling their poly-rattan for SCA type combat.

That beind said... if you watch really carefuly they are executing parrys more then what we would consider blade contact for SCA. Fortunatly this technique works great in SCA combat, while bauffer... yeah most parrys are not worth the time. Simply put they are totaly snuffed by the foam padding and are worthless.

Thanks for the link though, I might buy some of that stuff if my local shire ever starts fighting once again.
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Peregrine » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am

SirMADOG wrote: yeah most parrys are not worth the time. Simply put they are totaly snuffed by the foam padding and are worthless.

that was realy hard for me to get use to I used alot of parrys pre-belegarth. most of fighting style did not translate well to bell.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Seiichiro » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:02 pm

Nice videos. One of these days I'll make it out to NYC to watch a dog brothers seminar. What I wouldn't give for an FMA or JKD school around here.

One of the things you do get out of kali is not having an idle hand. Your off hand is just as important as your primary, and you switch them all the time. A while ago we had another Filipino guy around here, John (Madog might remember him from AIP), that studied escrima. He mainly did the samurai thing, but was really good with double sticks. He taught a few of us coordination and footwork techniques from escrima that really balance out your sides.

I don't think parries are worthless. Just need to think faster and more clearly. I mean, for a non-shield fighter, you can't rely on dodges and sneak attacks all the time. Sometimes you need to get up in there and that means learning how to parry and counter.
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Zzyzx » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:28 pm

I think Filipinos shold do half damage in this game. They are way too cool and powerful and really off-balance the game.
Zzyzx

Postby Vokor » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:37 pm

I have heard the filipinos are great wizards that come form far off lands and whoow woman a way from the homes and clean house real good. that is just what I heard
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby graavish » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:46 pm

i heard the same thing however i heard when you pair them with a huge white guy they *...alot
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Postby Teej » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:44 pm

That looks fun, been looking for a new Martial Art...
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics