Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Alabraxis » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:58 pm

make a punishment for it. i think the standard is 5 pushups/situps for each headshot. It worked for my realm. one of our guys compounded his punnishment by adding 5 each time a headshot was called. by the time he got to 40 he stopped throwing them and newbs did as well just from watching him do his pushups.
Alabraxis
Grunt
Grunt

Re: head shots

Postby Zzyzx » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:07 pm

Grey wrote:one of the guys in our unit is constantly throwing head shots

what should we do to stop this

In Dur-De if you throw a headshot you do 10 pushups, 10 situps, or take death.

This is *not* a national rule, just a realm specific rule.
Zzyzx

Postby Chicken » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Also, try to watch how they're fighting to see why they're throwing headshots, and maybe do some shot-placement drills to get people to start thinking before they swing and to swing for an actual target, not just the vague direction of their opponent.

Just a couple weeks ago we had a new fighter who threw two or three headshots in the same practice. It turned out she was trying to throw a type of cross-shot someone taught her that requires ducking your head and shield shoulder and throwing the shot close to horizontally. She wasn't lowering her left side at all, though, so instead her shots were coming over at a really high angle (to get around her own head) and clonking people. Since someone figured it out and explained it to her, I don't think I've seen her headshot anyone.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Freyson » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:00 pm

For about 2 months make any headshot instant death. It doesn't matter if it slid up or barely grazed, ANY contact from a melee weapon to the head area is instant death. Do not allow the victim to 'brush it off'. After the 3rd headshot in any given day limit the offender to single class1 weapon and no armor. After the 6th in any given day tell them to go home.

We have done this several times down here, especially if we have a bunch of newer fighters. The idea is from about 10 years ago in Avalon. It has an amazing effect on headshots. First it shows you exactly who is doing the shots so you can determine better why they are doing them. Secondly it makes fighters more aware of the risky shots they are throwing. Thirdly there is a definite punishment for headshots. Most people start getting VERY aware after the 2nd shot and adjust accordingly. They don't want to be the one who has to fight one weapon with no armor. Nobody ever got to the 6th. The thing about this is that we tried it with specific individuals and it did not work. By applying it to everyone, veterans included, it worked great.

Since then the heralds sometimes apply the rule for the day if headshots start going up again and it seems to keep things in check.
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Digoza » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:08 pm

The week after one of our guys broke my nose with an accidental headshot; he accidently hit Cyric in the head and so we told the guy to go home and that we'd work with him to retrain his shots. On the brightside, Cyric was ok after he sat out for a little bit with an icepack where he got hit and, as for my nose, it's healing nicely and I'll be able to start fighting again at spring war, and the guy has thrown a lot fewer head shots too.
Digoza
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2005
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Dagger

Postby Galant » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:38 pm

talk to him and say that he cant throw a shot above the mid torso area. if he continues to throw head shots then make him do 10 pushups, or howver many you feal like setting it at. hats how it use to be in Dunharrow, and head shots were pretty uncommon. when we stoped doing it then the head shots came back. so if you do go with the pushup rules it has to stay there or the head shots will keep coming.
Galant
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Jarlaxle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:56 am

No man pushups/situps too easy for athletic fighters, make them do pushup position on knuckles for like 1-2 min
Manipulation leads to chaos
During chaos I always seem to come up on top
Therefore, I must manipulate all that you do
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Teej » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Jarlaxle wrote:No man pushups/situps too easy for athletic fighters, make them do pushup position on knuckles for like 1-2 min

Used to do that in my Tae Kwon Do Tournament team, for people getting lazy or not properly guarding as they strike. Worked quite well...

Another suggestion for the more atheletic people would be my former Drill Instructors' favorites... the good old "Fireman's Carry." Imagine carrying some dude across your shoulders the length of the entire field everytime you jack up... That'll whip em in shape as well as hone in on their discipline when fighting.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Jarlaxle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:27 pm

lol i got that from Tae Kwon Do also u pick stuff up when u become a black belt
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Faolan » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Imagine carrying some dude across your shoulders the length of the entire field everytime you jack up... That'll whip em in shape as well as hone in on their discipline when fighting.

Just like the fighting Uruk-Hai.
Last edited by Faolan on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Jarlaxle » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:58 pm

lol
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout