Heavy Equipment

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Heavy Equipment

Postby Droviin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:29 pm

I was thinking about creating a style around heavier equipment. The strategy is basically using strength and weight to be able to overpower people. The weapon would be heavy enough that it would be almost impossible to parry and would easily knock aside punch shields. The shield would be used to knock people around, body checks would be key to this strategy.
There are some disadvantages I've considered such as endurance problems and weapon control. It appears that the advantages would outweigh these minor drawbacks though.
Opinions on this idea would be most welcome. Any suggestions to bolster the idea, or any constructive critizism would be nice too. Thanks
-Droviin Va'Lorn
-Remember without Me it would just be Aweso!!
Droviin
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Black Cat » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:43 pm

I do that to an extent with my blade-heavy blue broadswords. They feature 3 layers of padding on each side not counting the box and a sizable stab-tip for those times when you want to stab people in the back, literally. One of them even has an extended handle. The smaller sword has a 25 1/2" long blade and the other sword has a blade that is approximately 28" long.

It is a good strategy to use heavy weapons as long as you are strong enough to safely wield what you are using. Just make sure that your weapons are safe to hit with. Also don't make them ridiculously long or they'll be too slow to swing.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Osric » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:29 pm

A problem I see with a heavy style like that is somebody getting injured. Even with a ton of padding on a weapon some still hit with enough force to take your breath away. Shield checking and bashing is fine as long as you don't get carried away and trample somebody. You'll really have to watch your shots and make sure that you don't catch somebody in the head. I try not to do something to others unless I'd be ok with it being done to me.
lol signature
Osric
Thug
Thug

Postby Jarlaxle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:20 pm

Well it seems like a fine idea as long as you can keep up the energy needed to pull it off. I would only be worried about the speed at which you could dodge, or if you needed to parry with the sword becuz of shield break, kick, etc.
Manipulation leads to chaos
During chaos I always seem to come up on top
Therefore, I must manipulate all that you do
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Mercer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:47 pm

It requires more strength and conditioning, but nothing wrong with using heavier gear. Also, unless you're swinging around a brick-on-a-stick, I doubt there will be much in the way of injury risk. I've been headshotted with examples of just about every style of weapon-building out there, and the worst I've gotten is bent glasses.

The heavier a weapon goes, however, the more you might want to consider a layer of open-cell to cushion some of the force. The mass will still let them know they got hit, but the cushioning will make it a little more "friendly". I put them on the fronts of my axes and hammers, since it's a good bit of force in a small area.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Jarlaxle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:50 pm

I agree with mercer
mercer is your axe 2 sided?
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Mercer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:52 pm

No, I use single-sided axes. I tried using double-bitted axes, but the wind catches them too easily and the broader head makes a parry easier on your opponent (more area to hit on a side).
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Postby Jarlaxle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:54 pm

I see, because Ive been interested in buying an edhellen 2h 2sided axe just cuz it seems really interesting
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Mercer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 pm

An Edhellen one might work; their axes don't have much "depth" to the blade, so it would probably mitigate the problems I had with homemade.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Postby Ohtar » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:20 pm

I applaud your choice Droviin,

I am doing somthing similar at home. Weighting my shield with ankle weights. 3/4 inch pvc sword which when it is done will probally weigh around 3 lbs. The only differnece is i'm using the super heavt stuff at my home realm, and the lighter heavy at event. Even my lighter stuff is alot heavier than everyone elses.
I however don't think open cell is necesary. For open cell to really make a difference you need alot. What i'm doing, and have done with my heavy hammers, clubs and such is I use this rubbery foam from walmart. It comes in the same size as the blue stuff but it's real rubbery, and has an egg shell pattern on one side. I plan on starting with 2 layers of this rubbery foam on top of the standard 3 blue (so 5 layers). Put the egg shell facing the core. This foam is great after it softens up a little bit. It's good for stabby tips too. I swing really hard,and the one weapon i don'tget complaints from is my hammer made with this green stuff.

Ohtar
Proud member, and Squire of Henneth-Annun

''Friends don't let friends be elves. now this is extremely dangerous because elves lead to unprotected homosexual sex. ''-Graavish
Ohtar
Underling
Underling

Postby Jarlaxle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Good, there are more people trying new ideas out.
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Faolan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:47 am

I had a sword that was going to be a red but changed my mind at the last second and made it a blue.

So I ended up with a heavy doubled fiberglass sword that was nearly red.
I could power through all kinds of blocks with that baby.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Grey » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:48 pm

yeah, but it still sucks!

haha that's why we gave it to the noob
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dr. Kazi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:07 pm

Here is an analysis of some advantages and problems you might encounter, Droviin.

The size/mass/power strategy will probably be very effective against those smaller than you, especially if you invest in armor. If you come up against me, i'll probably land a quick wrap shot or pick as you bash me, then go flying away, because your huge, i'm tiny, and physics sucks like that. You take the hit on your armor and may very well take me out before I recover.

Lets say you come up on Ohtar. The two of you are similarly equiped, and both large, so you'll have a good hard fight.

But what if you encounter Postal? You bash him, he doesn't budge. Lets say he has a punch shield, you knock it out of the way with your first blow, but before you can bring your sword around again, he has re-positioned it. Meanwhile, Postal is quick as hell, and has been raining shots in on you this whole time. Odds are you won't make it out of that one alive.

Seems to me this strategy will give you an advantage over me, but a disadvantage against those your size with three to four times your speed.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Bodhi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 pm

People with heavy weapons have to be extremely good blockers with their shield. Also, maces are way better then axes. they take forever to break down because there is no flat and you have tones of weight at the top for a really good swing. Watch the halfts though.
Bodhi,
Final solution to all things needing final solutions.
Bodhi
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: High Spires
Unit: Horde

Postby Sir Julian Lunnan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:28 pm

I have good resalts with a 6ft, Glaive. You will have the range you need for a two handed wepon and It is still short to temp people into charging in on you.
Soldier of Rome
Sir Julian Lunnan
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Ohtar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:34 pm

Kazi Said,
Seems to me this strategy will give you an advantage over me, but a disadvantage against those your size with three to four times your speed

I will say that intially you will deffinetly be at a disadvantage on speed. However the longer you fight with the heavy weapons the more conditioned your muscles will be making it alot eaiser to move the big heavy thing around. So in theory, eventually you will be able to be as fast with your heavy stuff as you are with your lighter stuff.

Also if you want to not instantly suck with you new heavy weapons, you can use a hollow core, with a eaisily removeable pommel, and add a few onces every week or every other week till you get the weight that you want.

Ohtar
Proud member, and Squire of Henneth-Annun

''Friends don't let friends be elves. now this is extremely dangerous because elves lead to unprotected homosexual sex. ''-Graavish
Ohtar
Underling
Underling

Postby Osric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:32 pm

My whole first year I fought extra heavy to build up my strike speed. I fought with a double fiberglass core and weighted the pommel with 10 steel ball bearings (and a LOT of foam). That thing was heavy. But I killed people and got faster and faster, like Ohtar said. Even if heavy doesn't work out for you, you can definitely benefit from the conditioning your arm muscles will get. When I switched to light, I was wicked fast (at least I think so). Granted, I couldn't plow through every block thrown against me, but that accuracy and economy of motion using heavy weapons just made my faster style that much better. I hope you have some burly wrists though. That's the one complaint I get from people using heavy weapons is that their wrists get hurt. But then again, I always got it from people blocking my shots as well.
lol signature
Osric
Thug
Thug

Postby Osric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:32 pm

*sigh* Double post. Sorry, Kyrian.
lol signature
Osric
Thug
Thug

Postby Faolan » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:17 am

Sound sweet.

I hope to make my weighted red this weekend.
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby ICARUS » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 am

my red mace is extremly heavy and it works wonders in duels as sw I knocked over 20 weapons out of peoples hands who tried to block my swings and 1 was a punch shield. I also broke a small spear in a duel. Bad part is that my entire body is sore as can be
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby graavish » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:07 am

the man makes the weapon(figuratively)the weapon doesn't make the man.. use what you want to you use

obvious disadvantage your going to be at a disadvantage against dancers especially big dance postal was mentioned i'm not as good but im big and fight this way. kazi and the others are more prone to bashing however they keep going even after being bashed so use what you'd like and learn it any one can make anything work if you figure it out and work with it...except vokor he sucks
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Postby Sir_Mel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:04 pm

It's good to see that there are other big people exploiting their bigness. Right now I'm working on a large tower shield and I just finished a monstrous ax. Both of which are quite heavy. The original plan was to have to Red Axes and florentine with those. However, I designed this kick-ass shield that has a javeln rack in between your arm and the front of the shield so I had to put the second ax on hold. So yeah, all I can say is to use your strength and size to your advantage. Beat the living hell out of the people with as many strikes and you just may succeed.
Later
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics