My Tip...Have A ?nemy

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

My Tip...Have A ?nemy

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:25 am

First note..this isn't a flame thread..

My biggest tip isn't so much relating to combat but precombat. Have in your mind someone better than you. (I do not believe this is a sport where anyone can claim a title of the greatest. It is far to random)

I have been out of this sport for years, but when I did it for a short time previously I was in the Northlands and Ivan showed up. I can just remember the fact you did not see Ivans swings, and I remember one day I parried a swing. That was huge. I still died. But years later I can remember it.

That is my motivation. Do you guys have a moment like that..do you have a ?nemy'?
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby savetuba » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:07 am

AN ENEMY?

Hmmm... can't think of anyone. A few rivals, one large dissagreement Cough*gravish*Arhem*

But an enemy? No I don't think it is good to have one of those in this game. Or at least one that hates you :P
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Nakis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:47 pm

I try not to have an enemy. We are good friends striving to become better. To pick one as an enemy, to me, means that I chase them down to the ends of the Earth (The line of trees to the edge of the woods, possibly beyond, and the edge of the road) and do my best to destroy, not kill, but destroy them.

No, choose a rival in good sport. When you two meet, do you best against each other, bar nothing. Respect your rival, do not dishonor him by not doing your best.

Besides, Reaper placing bounties of Cool Points is all in good fun. So is killing bounty hunters.
Nakis

Postby Chicken » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:15 pm

This is a bit of a stretch from how this thread started, but it's at least somewhat relevant and possibly helpful too... .

In Chamonix we used to play a game called Puds vs. Studs. It was a straight no-regen two-team battle that pitted the best few people out there against everyone else (3-4:1 numbers, I'd guess). It was a particularly useful game for teaching new people to be aggressive and to actually step up and engage people who are better than them.

There are three normal ways a PvS battle progresses:
1) Puds bunch together, circle up, and just get ganked.
2) Puds spread out but are disorganized and don't engage unless engaged - Studs run around through them wolfpacking and eventually kill them all.
3) Puds split up in small groups actively targeting specific Studs, who are ruthlessly hunted and brought down by shear weight of numbers.

After a couple of times going through the first two, someone would give the Puds a very simple strategy - "everyone pick one person on the other side and kill them. Go after them and forget everything else, but kill them." The inevitable result was that each Stud had a group of Puds all actually running in and aggressively engaging.

You certainly don't want to make someone your enemy off the field, but marking specific targets can be a great way for a small group of relatively inexperienced fighters to take down people considerably more skilled than they are. Having that single-minded goal gives you the aggressiveness you need to take on someone much better, and to put your numerical advantage to best use.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby xiao » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Good call Chicken.
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:04 pm

at first i had no enemies but ever since joining the Uruk Hai and being freinds with finna and the fianna my old realm all seems to be my enemy....
Ikeno Dathorion
Elder of Dor Daedeloth The Land of Shadows
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Feb 2006
Realm: Neldoreth
Unit: Naaldlooshii
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty Sword and Board
Spear

Postby Dr. Kazi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:13 pm

You see Ikeno, you is never should have been quiting being a goblyn.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby bo1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:46 pm

I have several poeple that are much better than myself that i fly after and try to get.
Tops on list:
all heros Izerath, Kyrian, V'hil, Onyx, ... so on and so forth
problem is they are usually 5 deep before i can get there.
so then its
Kenny
Borric
Kazi
Yaktoo
Arky ( recent add from our mini-event)
Morphious
Theros the large
Bahkdar
Vokor( that usually hurts but what the hell)
Fox ( for breaking my thumb)

Now i rarely every get any of them. They are all much much better fighters than i, but i do spar them every chance i get. So hopefully i can get better, and if i every get one of them, man do i feel good.
At Wolf pack opener, I squared off against V'hil. I got his leg and when he was down a knocked him over and beat him down. I felt like a king so i engage some more fighters and died 2 seconds later, but what a 2 seconds.
Plus if i can beat that group on any basis, may be win 1 out of 4 total match ups, man i would be a real good fighter in my eyes. i don't every need to be better than that. Christ i can't beat that group 1 out of 20 now.
in fact if i were to deul that group i would bet i don't win even one, right now. but hard work and my heart will determine if i improve or not.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:55 pm

wht should i not have quit being a goblin????
Ikeno Dathorion
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Spear

Postby Faolan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:15 pm

I don't know if this helps, but I usally try to take out the good people first like Dacian and Zao. Usally I win 50/50. Unless its one of those times when I'm just lazy and decide to just stand around until someone comes within range...
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Spork » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:05 pm

wht should i not have quit being a goblin????

Same reason you quit the Dragoons and petition Horde, oh yeah lets not forget that one time you really really wanted to join the Fianna, maybe the Uruk-Hai are your home...

I agree, if you go out knowing that someone is better then you on the field, finding them and fighting them. That's the only way I've really gotten any better then what I used to, listening and learning, then getting the snot beat out of me. :P
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Sir_Mel » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:40 pm

read The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. I believe I read somewhere it's on the required reading list for Knights which might add to why they're so good. The whole book bascially discusses the mindset of a warrior. How you should act, not just on the field, but in all areas of your life. It talks a great deal of how your "spirit" must be greater than your opponents. No amount of skill can gaurentee your win, you must have a greater "spirit". This is how people who are not as skilled beat people who are very good, they are so bent on defeating this opponent and they will stop at nothing to kill them. Just focus on beating them, don't worry about how good they are, how cool their garb is, how strong they can hit. None of that matters. If you even think about thinking you're going to lose, you will. Just refuse to lose and you will do well.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:14 am

Glad people like this thread..I am sorry that it screwed up my quotes around the word enemy..I thought it was pretty obvious (because the quotes) that I did not mean enemy in the conventional sense, but enemy as in an on field battle only rival.

I don't think anyone should hate-dislike-want to fight off field. Not in a game like this where an accident can happen or something could easily get out of hand.

I just think the best motivation for me, pre-practice is remembering someone greatly better than me, and envisioning me after hard work getting good enough that it will be a little more likely to beat them. I don't even envision myself beating them because thats counter-productive. The moment you beat them you think, hey I am as good as I can get. You need to keep seeing these people better than you so you always struggle to improve your game, be unpredictable and be intense on the field of battle. In my humble opinion.
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:23 am

sorry spork but "think" is the keyword i never acted i had thought about it not acted and i never really was a dragoon i was an honarary member sorry bud, but i am happy where im at not coming to follow you ne more as the others do...
Ikeno Dathorion
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Spear

Postby Tulio » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:58 am

NOt sure if Book of Five Rings is required for knights, but it is required for TDK. I have found several good things in therelike melannen was talking about.
Barron Von Tulio

Sir Tulio the Imposing
Tulio
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2005
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword 'n Board

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics