Archer/Skirmisher fighting tips

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Archer/Skirmisher fighting tips

Postby Black Cat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:40 pm

I skirmish with a bow and have done it at Malkier and Aquilonia practices a lot to great effect for my lack of fighting experience, but I need some tips on how to fight better doing it. I carry a backup weapon and will soon be equipping a small shield as soon as I finish its layering.

What are some good tips on this fighting style?
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby debuenzo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:19 pm

stay alert, and keep moving

dont wait too long to fire your arrows

and dont be afraid to drop your bow and grab your sword if you think someone will rush you

or just be quick...fire your arrows before you get rushed
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Kyrian » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:14 pm

When you're first starting, see if you can pair up with a shieldman to be your archer guard. The sole purpose of that person is to block any incoming missiles and to get in the way of anyone who is charging you. At some point, though, since you plan on skirmishing, you should develop your own situational awareness to the point where you don't need to rely on an archer guard.

Your head needs to be on a swivel. Threats can come from any direction especially if you're skirmishing.

Practice both nocking arrows especially while moving and being able to quickly draw your sidearm. Whatever method you choose to nock your arrows (there are several) should almost become second nature.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Vokor » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 am

Kyrian wrote:When you're first starting, see if you can pair up with a shieldman to be your archer guard. The sole purpose of that person is to block any incoming missiles and to get in the way of anyone who is charging you. At some point, though, since you plan on skirmishing, you should develop your own situational awareness to the point where you don't need to rely on an archer guard.

Your head needs to be on a swivel. Threats can come from any direction especially if you're skirmishing.

Practice both nocking arrows especially while moving and being able to quickly draw your sidearm. Whatever method you choose to nock your arrows (there are several) should almost become second nature.

Heed what this man speaks he has shot an arrow or two
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby bo1 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Is there anything, Belegarth related, Kyrian doesn't have really good information about. Yea hes a real good archer/ skirmisher. Plus he forgot to mention that once your at a point that you need to go hand to hand combat, touch your weapon to your bow and say Bow is Broken. That way you don't get shot with your own bow.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics