Flanking

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Flanking

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:21 am

I was wanting to know what the best way to get away with flanking and not get seen or at elast get a few kills out of it.
Ikeno Dathorion
Elder of Dor Daedeloth The Land of Shadows
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Feb 2006
Realm: Neldoreth
Unit: Naaldlooshii
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty Sword and Board
Spear

Postby Seiichiro » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:27 am

Cut a wiiiiiide flank.

... or arch from the sides of your line.
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby xiao » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:30 am

I'm a fan of killing the guy on the end, then cutting behind the line backstabbing while running as fast as you can towards the center. Back out when they figure you out. The long it takes you to get around the more chances they have to see you.
Quickness
One shot kills
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:35 am

ok thank you my first event was Spring Wars and that was when i did alot of flanking and got at least 20 kills per battle bbut id like to get more...
Ikeno Dathorion
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Spear

Postby Nakis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Simple, look like you belong. I managed to snipe out a few people at practices with a sword or flail because they think I'm one of them.

I can never stress that enough, look like you belong. Sneaking around gets attention.
Nakis

Postby vek » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:40 pm

great point Nakis
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Galant » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:03 pm

if you are going to hit the flank wide, wait a little bit for your line to get closer to the enemy then hit the flank as fast as you can. then you have the attention of two or more people that could be fighting your team but are looking at you. if they dont seem to care that you are back there, take a few lives and make them care.
Galant
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Spork » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:11 pm

got at least 20 kills per battle

:eek:

But, I realized that not running at a quickened pace usually helps with sneaking around. (Not running, but a fast paced walk. [Eye picks up really quick movements, so walking usually helps with that.]) As long as you can get passed the few members along the line not noticing. (I'm talking about when there isn't many people watching and the middle is where everyone is heading.) Even if they do notice and you are far enough way, hopefully your allies get the advantage of the distraction.

Edit: Read the post above this... sorry for double information.

My first event was also Spring War, but I played another game similar to Bel in my local town (It wasn't national or anything.) and I picked up a lot of tricks there.

I'd like to see some of those drawing though, that Kyrian has posted up.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby bo1 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:37 pm

let them forget about you
get behind, if they see you just lag around in the back court and wait for them to lose intrest in you stand still if you have to as long as they don't charge you just wait, and wait, then they lose you and slammo they get back by the ( big numbers). Plus the above info is really good as well.
i looked at one guy at our mini and he seemed to be with us and then bam, backshot, thank god for amor( but he hit me again before i could spin).
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:25 pm

well thank you......

Deleted your double-post--Kyrian
Ikeno Dathorion
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Spear

Postby Twitch » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:47 pm

in addition to bo1 comment...

if you go behind them, but look like your paying attention to something else (like a battle going on between some other people forty feet away) and pretend like your thinking about them, they forget about you in like two seconds and you can get them then, because it's obvious that you arn't after them....just try to at least keep the people that your 'not' paying attention to in your periferial vision
Twitch the snotling

My family communion comes in a 40
Twitch
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:56 am

Or you work with a shield and spear person. The 3 of you move to a flank. the spearman gets the attention by stabing at someone and then the shield and spear drift away "pulling" people with them. Then the flanker moves in and throws a few shots towards the spearman. Makes the other team feel like the flank is on thier side. Then the flanker can kill the group when he wants.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Fowler » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:45 pm

Ikeno_Dathorion wrote:ok thank you my first event was Spring Wars and that was when i did alot of flanking and got at least 20 kills per battle bbut id like to get more...

If Spring Wars was your first event and you got 20 kills at least a battle then you don't need to improve. Just work on duplicating those results and training a group of others to duplicate your results. If you have 4 flankers do what you did then you've wiped out half the enemy(in 2 two team battles at big events) with 4 guys.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby bo1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:41 am

i wondered about that number but i figured he wanted to sound tough so i let it go. I would live to get even 10 kills every game.
but then again i stink at the game.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Dr. Kazi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:07 am

For the first couple years I went to events if I got a limb or a kill every couple battles I though I was doing just fine. After five years, if I average a little over one kill a battle I'm content.

As for flanking advice, get a partner. Also, on smaller scale to medium scale battles, running complete circuits around a team is good. Take off at a full sprint around the enemy flank, if they throw out guys to intercept you, fine, go all the way around them, all the way around your line, and do it again. You get a couple people doing this kind of flanking from either side, and the other team starts to unknowingly contract into a nice kill pocket, until you've got them completely surrounded and immobilized.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Ikeno_Dathorion » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:31 am

well, i did kinda exxagerate.. my bad neways i was averaging about 5-10 per battle somewhere in there sorry about the exxageration.....
Ikeno Dathorion
The Drunky McStumbles
I am Ze Jolly Rancher
Ikeno_Dathorion
Grunt
Grunt

Spear

Postby Spork » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:12 am

Yeah, it's cool though, we all get carried away. I know you averaged that many, because you'd kill most of the archers and then a couple when you went into the line.

Thanks everyone for the tips, even though I'm not the thread starter, they are really helpful. Most things in here for that matter.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Borric » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:28 pm

Another good idea to flanking is to get yourself, and 1 or 2 other people you can fight with. Then all three of you flank wide coming around their line. If you take off quickly, and you get good at what you do, the enemy will peel enough to take care of all 3 of you. If you can get by them, or have one of your "wingmen" get through, you can inflict big damage on a line.

Even if you fail to get them to forget about you, but the send a few off after you, you may open a gap on their main line for someone else to exploit.
Borric the Just
Knight of Numenor
Numenorian Ambassador to Muxlovia
Borric
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 21 Aug 2002
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear and Glaive
Archery

Postby Nakis » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Hmm, another idea.

When you managed to get behind them alone and with a group of your fighters in front of them ready to attack, make a LOT of noise. Try to sound like ten men and hopefully about half of them will turn around to defend against a surprise attack and free up their backs and attention.

Just an idea.
Nakis

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Be new. As long as people don't know who you are you will have it easyer when you flank . As soon as they figure out your name and that they need to stop you you will have to get better at fighting straight up.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Mango teh Hat Troll » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:09 pm

A lot of the time I get away with flanking because I don't fight very well, but I'm a monster and I do know how to back stab. They're all like "Where did she come from?"
Mango: Sexiest Hat Troll in de Slaughtergutt Tribe
Runta Feh!
"If it kills a knight, it's illegal."--Spork

"Ive gone through 4 pairs of pants this year
I think its cuz my footwork needs so much work
so i spend alot of time on my knees" --Dagganoth
Mango teh Hat Troll
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2004
Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Gabriel P. Morley » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:31 pm

My way is all about aggression speed and teamwork. You and a buddy, both shieldman or the lead man is shield and the follower is a florentine, either way.

The lead shield man hits the flank hard sweeping in but not wide, close in melee range on the end 2 line defenders, but fast enough to force them to curl in on thier own line turning thier backs to your line to follow you. Have the shield man leg and distract them on the way through to slow them down.

The follower follows the shield leader close in and uses him as a block and sling shot to fly around his outside edge never engaging in combat with the leaders targets, while the leader keeps the 2 end guys busy. Once behind the enemy team, the follower begins to destroy the back of the line at a high speed moving across the back of the line. Key - the shield man leader follows him about 10 feet back if he can disengage from the legged and wounded 2 defenders to clean up and protect the followers back.

They both disengage and back off when flank defenders come or the line turns to face them, because at that point the team is distracted enough that your own team should be destroying them and folding in on the flank you destroyed. The maneuver should only take a few seconds before both flankers are running down the back of the line. The lead shield should not engage the 2 end flankers any longer than it takes to turn them and leg them and escape.

Has to be done fast and hard. Can be done with a 3-5 man unit with modifications, but the base idea is the same. Use a blocker or two to pin down the outside flank, and send 2 to 3 fast runners around them. The key is speed, aggression and willingness to leg an enemy and leave them there to serve the greater good by destroying the rest of thier team and letting the line clean them up or comming back to them when your job of breaking the flank is done.

Gabriel.
Gabriel P. Morley
Underling
Underling

Realm: Illudar [Dallas Texas]
Unit: Cohors Praetoria XIII
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Flo, Single, Glaive

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics