The use of heavy weapons (For strength and speed)

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

The use of heavy weapons (For strength and speed)

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:56 am

When I used to play regularly (I am getting back into it after a fairly long hiatus) I know several veterans who would make several weapons of varying weights, and go from heavy to light. The lightest being used primarily for events, and the heaviest for practices, just to build strength and speed, is this still the way most people do it?

How would you increase your strength and speed? No one can argue that if a fighter is vastly faster than another, he has an advantage, so how do you try to get faster.

I was thinking I am going to try to go from heavy to light...but I am unsure as of yet.
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby Fowler » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm

I wear a chain shirt at practice if I'm not tired once I get there.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby Physic » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:51 pm

http://www.thearma.org/essays/pell/pellhistory.htm

This artical states that historicly when people trained on pells they would do so with double weighted swords and shields. I think to develop strength and speed you should use heavier weapons but if you want to work on technique use an exact replica of the sword you will use in battle.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Tulio » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:05 pm

One technique with heavy weaponry i use is I have a heavy sheild made out of Oak. I fight with that during practices and such wich makes me faster with my lighter sheild. At a event I will use that heavy one for 10-20 battles, then switch it up and i will be faster
Barron Von Tulio

Sir Tulio the Imposing
Tulio
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2005
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword 'n Board

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Glad to hear the ole heavy to light works still. Once I get foam smithing I want to make at least two-three version of the same weapon. Once of course I get foam smithing and rich ;)
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby Droviin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:23 am

This method works great. I practice everything with heavy weapons until I get it down perfectly. Finesse can be trained with heavy and light, just so long as you can effectivly weild the heavy weapon.
-Droviin Va'Lorn
-Remember without Me it would just be Aweso!!
Droviin
Grunt
Grunt

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics