Armageddon 5 - Course Notes

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Armageddon 5 - Course Notes

Postby Winfang » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:26 pm

Here are the emails that Bhakdar and I came up with in prepping for the training class. Please note that these are kind of light on details, but hopefully this will be helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Winfang wrote:Before we jump into what we're teaching them, I think it's important that we have an outline of how this will work.

Just to give you guys an idea, these are the courses that can be taken at Amtgard's SKBC event. Now I don't think that we should take on this many classes, but I do think that we should break things out similarly like they have. Not all of these classes are important to us at the moment ( e.g. Woman's Body Mechanics, Weapon Construction, Madu). You can get a full list of the courses that they offer at this website:
http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... php?t=4367

Thursday Night - Slot 1
Weapon Construction - Sir Haggis

Friday - Slot 1
Woman's Body Mechanics - Dame Squeak
Body Mechanics- Sir Clalibus
Middle Madu - Sir Brennon
Advanced Sword and Board - Sir Dalos
Advanced Footwork - Sir Thor
Single Sword 101 - Sir Derek Roth
Sword and Board 101 - Sir Qualin
Advanced Florentine - Sir Spyn

Friday - Slot 2
Florentine 101 - Sir Haggis
Lefty Fighting - Sir Sanchez
Principles of Range - Sir Jabberwock
Advanced Single Sword - Sir Clalibus
Polearm - Sir Warblade
Single Sword - Sir Shadow

Friday - Slot 3
Advanced Single Sword - Sir Brennon
Counter Class - Sir Thor and Sir Arthon (Advanced Friendly)
Two man teams - Sir Michael (101 Friendly)
Floretine - Syr Sanchez
Footwork - Sir Clalibus
Advanced Polearm - Sir Shadow
General Combat 101 - Sir Drakknar

If we try to throw too much at them in one class then they're going to retain very little and it seem like a waste. I'm sure we've all experienced this when teaching a new fighter as much as possible in a little amount of time.

Since we have 3 instructors, I think we should do 3 different classes. Obliviously, Sword & Board should be one of them as it's the most prevalent style in the game. Also a good one is a teamwork class. Bhakdar had mention to me since his shield was broke he would be interested in doing a flourentine class as well. Another good class would be General Combat Principles.

So what do you guy think about 3 classes: Sword & Board, Flourentine, and Teamwork? I feel all these classes should be aimed at Beginner-to-Intermediate skill levels.

Assuming that you both agree on this, I imagine the day can go something like this:
10am Class 1 - Sword & Board - Winfang
Class 2 - Flourentine - Bhakdar
Class 3 - Teamwork - Galin
12pm Class 1 - Sword & Board - Winfang
02pm Class 1 - Sword & Board - Winfang
04pm Class 1 - Sword & Board - Winfang

Each person can run their class how they see fit. I'm thinking of something along the lines of this for Sword & Board:
-General Overview (what is to be expected)
-Different styles (offensive/defensive and range/close)
-How to properly be on the defensive
--How to block with shield
--How to block with sword
--Demostrate and practice it with the people
-How to properly be on the offendsive
--How to attack for damage (sword)
--How to attack for non-damage (shield kicking, bashing
-How be a smarter sword/board fighter
--How to read an attacker
--Counter-swinging
--Know your range
--Understanding lefties
-Feints and Jukes
-Workshop time (people sparring while I walk around helping)

So what do you guys think?

Bhakdar wrote:1) We'll teach in different styles and foci; shall we mix up who teaches what when and then if someone wants multiple perspectives on board, etc, they can come to each class for something a little different?
2) I'm well suited to teach board and doubt there will be enough in the florentine classes to roll them solid all day. It could be more productive for me to rotate what I'm teaching and flop florentine & board back and forth. As long as I have a round to borrow I can teach board. Also, I don't think teamwork would be as thorough or take as long, and would be more beneficial having people 2 on 1 us after going through some classes. Teamwork sessions could also alternate with more boarding, or perhaps specifics of boarding like: dealing with flails. I think a single blue class could be really good too-- I could also do that alternating florentine.
3) I think this stuff is going to be really popular. I mentioned this program to Petar b/c I think he's one of the best "classic round" style fighters in the game (which I encourage boarders to start with) and I think he'd be a good mentor to add to the team if need demands and you guys would approve.

Winfang- Your outline hits some good pretty thoroughly. How long are you anticipating sessions and what approx #'s per each of us at a time?

My style is to break things down into a Basic 5 which I can explain in 5 minutes, 25 minutes, or an hour depending how much theory I integrate and how much practice I have them do. I like the Basic 5 b/c they can count on one hand the themes to remember. My basic five:
1) Stance: Turn body sideways, shield cover torso, wpn-hand behind shield rdy to wpn block, only leg exposed to enemy
2) Footwork: Dodging with your legs while standing your ground
3) Blocking: Wpn blocking. Methods of shield blocking: Slide (up/down, side/side), Punch-blocking (anti-flail), Body Rotation/Leaning
4) Counterswinging: Perceiving telegraphs & meeting opponents arm in swing.
5) Offence: Basic shots- Low outside (leg), Crossover (inside arm), Drop (shoulder). Importance of combinations. Practice simple combos: High-Low, Back-Forth. Basic Feints.

I tend to refrain on exploring shield & foot contact unless asked about it. I also like this style b/c you can get people lined up facing each other so they have a sparring partner they can mirror and help each other without me answering every detail.

I'd teach florentine all the same way except obviously with a greater depth into efficiency of wpn blocking & wrist turning as well as explaining combos in a context of two swords.

Winfang wrote:I wouldn't worry about a shield. If anything, I have a loaner round shield that I can bring to the event for you.

Also, I think a single-sword class would be wonderful. The old motto in Ohio was; "If you can fight single-sword good, then you can fight sword/board good."

Galin's initial thought when we discussing things was to have all 3 of us teach 1 class, not 3 seperate classes. Since I'm not seeing much love for the thought of branching out into 3 different classes I've listed maybe we should try alternating some classes instead of full out flourentine and teamwork. Maybe somewhere down the road we can add these classes later. I think it would very helpful if we all took up the mantle of teaching atleast one sword/board class. I'm sure people would like to have the option of choosing one of us.

As for Peter, I have no problems with this. I feel having two old-school fighters and two new-school fighters would be a good balance of styles and experience.

Class size should be limited to 20 people with the final judgement given to the instructor. If you feel you can handle 25, then you're allowed. At twenty, if everyone pairs off that gives you ten groups to watch and train which I think is manageable. We should aim at each class lasting about an hour and half to an hour and forty-five minutes.

A revised schedule could go like this:

10am Class 1 - Sword & Board - Winfang & Galin
12pm Class 1 - Sword & Board - Bhakdar & Peter
Class 2 - Single Sword - Winfang
02pm Class 1 - Sword & Board - Peter & Winfang
Class 2 - Flourentine - Galin
04pm Class 1 - Sword & Board - Galin & Bhakdar
Class 2 - Teamwork - Winfang

None of this is set in stone, it's completely flexible. Under this new schedule there will be two people teaching the sword/board, which I feel will be the most popular. The first person listed will be the primary instructor. The class will be taught at discrestion. The second person is the assistant. Flourentine I imagine will be a popular one as well, but not to the level that sword/board will be. Since I'm not a flourentine fighter, I don't plan on even trying to teach this class. :) So I left it with you and Galin. I really would like a teamwork class because too many people don't truely understand what teamwork is and how it can dramtically effect this game.

Here is also a revised class for Sword/Board:
-General Overview (what is to be expected)
-Different styles (offensive/defensive and range/close)
-Basic Stance (shield foot forward, shield parrell to fighter, body at a 45degree angle to shield)
-How to properly be on the defensive
--How to block with shield
--How to block with sword
-How to properly be on the offensive
--How to attack for damage (sword)
--Different swing locations
--How to throw a proper wrap shot
-How be a smarter sword/board fighter
--How to read an attacker
--Counter-swinging
--Know your range
--Understanding lefties
-Feints and Jukes
-Working with others
--Basic teamwork
-Workshop time (people sparring while I walk around helping)

Bhakdar wrote:This is looking better. Suggestions:

Shall we tier out some levels of class, too? As in, having a beginner's session and an intermediate session?
That gives more opportunity to focus skills in their proper place. For example, I wouldn't be teaching wrap shots, offensive shield work, or shoulder shots to a newbie.

And as for teamwork or line fighting, I think we could probably host 2 sessions and have an interested full audience.

Did you plan to include line fighting theory in teamwork? Like 45 degrees, tiered placement of boards, reds, spears, archery progressively back through a line, etc.? Or just stuff like how-to 2 on 1 or 3 on 1?

I now have a round to bring to Geddon, too, but thanks for the offer. These classes are shaping up really well.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Kyrian » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Good stuff! Thanks for posting this. I think it'd be pretty neat if we can perhaps expand the classes out to perhaps two-handed swords, spears, and archery.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics