Counters

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Counters

Postby vek » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:54 pm

I was reading the flanking suggestions and wanted to know what kind of counters flankers should watch out for?

When we do unit battles the archers are responsible for watching the whole field and stopping, or slowing flankers till someone can intercept them.
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Gabriel P. Morley » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:16 am

A good counter flank unit is a couple of mixed fighters that are very aggressive and fast. Mixed fighter units of 3 or more are great at counter flanking and plugging holes. (By mixed I mean out of a 5 man counterflank team, there would be a combination of shields florentine and spears.)

A good counterflank team will be very fast and aggressive, and shine in small team combat. They also have the job of plugging holes created in the center of a line as well if the flanks are holding. As such you need versatile and fast moving fighters who are "field aware" and know such tactics.

One of the best counterflank teams can be built from a group of good flankers because they know how it is done, and know what to watch for.

Killing a flankers mobility is key, so taking out legs and slowing them down with shieldmen/spear combinations quickly is good.

Once they have taken care of the flank, they can lead a flank themselves against the enemy to back up thier own flanking teams if the line is holding, or hang out and wait for more flanks while watching the line for holes that need to be plugged.

I know you were asking what flankers should look for, and this is one of them. When you see a mixed team of 5 or so just hangin out behind the line, their purpose is to stop you specifically.

Gabriel [XIII]
Last edited by Gabriel P. Morley on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel P. Morley
Underling
Underling

Realm: Illudar [Dallas Texas]
Unit: Cohors Praetoria XIII
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Flo, Single, Glaive

Postby Fowler » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:19 am

EDIT- I would like to add this is for larger scale battles- we did this at Spring Wars.

Watch out for a anti flanking line- like the following-

flankers Allies of Flankers line
_____ ___________________

Enemy of Flankers line
------------------------------
| Anti
| flanker
| line

you come around the side- back to face a solid line ready for you.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby Kyrian » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:19 am

There are some good points in this video regarding flanking:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7955457306

Note how the polearm really helps to slow the flankers down.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Nakis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:25 pm

Hrm,

I think that one calls the counter-team which plugs holes in a defense is called a "flying team" or something along those lines.

Countering Flankers...Nightfall has made well note of a very good strategy.
I would also note that merely holding them at bay with long weapons and intimidation work well. Just don't let them get behind you, if they do, have one or two men pull back and watch for them. Having flankers is a very bad position, for you do not wish your flank to be spanked as punishment, yes?

Flying Companies as excellent to counter them, not letting them past is even better.
Nakis

Postby savetuba » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:02 am

Nightfall wrote:By mixed I mean out of a 5 man counterflank team, there would be a combination of shields florentine and spears.

A tower shield man with a glaive and a skirmisher with a blue, buckler, and a jav.

Glaive aims for the legs.
Shield man pervents the flanker from rushing the other two.
Skirmisher holds the jav with the tip down to help block leg swings and also with a wrist flick and toss he can toss the jav just far enough for a quick leg shot. And if the target dodges it, the glaive/sheild can rush and slaughter the off foot fighter

If you add anyone add another glaive and skirmisher. Shields are needed at the front. And if you do kill the flankers you have a nice team ready to go counter flanking.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Gabriel P. Morley » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:10 am

Clarification. When I am talking about shieldmen for a counterflaink, I mean medium round shield fighters ~ 26"dia shield average ~ This shieldman is one of the most balanced and versatile fighter. They move fast and are well suited to skirmish fighting with a strong and mobile defense, and decent offense.

I would not personally use a tower for a counterflank, as they don't allow as fast mobility to adapt to backline fighting as a medium round, and towers/kites are more well suited to the line, where they should be.

Round shield fighters are also great assists for spears/polearms as they are a smaller obstacle to work around for the spearman.

Tower shields are more well suited for line fighters, and are less balanced in terms of defense vs offense. They are heavy defensive, but limit the shot throwing capability that is available to a round shield fighter. Hence why I would keep the tower in the line and have a quick mobile round shield fighter or 2 with the counterflank team.

Note the video linked by another above. Most of those fighters are fast moving florentine and roundshield fighters.

There is no reason not to have one of these off of the line and part of the counterflank team. Especially as we both said the counterflank team can become a flank team quickly as well. They make a good backline fighter as well as one who can jump on the line to plug a hole, as well as a really strong aggressive flanker who can pin a counterflank or backend guy while his buddies clean the rest of the line.
Gabriel P. Morley
Underling
Underling

Realm: Illudar [Dallas Texas]
Unit: Cohors Praetoria XIII
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Flo, Single, Glaive

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics