Flags

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Flags

Postby Vak » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:34 am

I was wondering, in some movies you see guys carrying flags into combat generlaly you see them charge as well. Do they have weapons or is the flag a spear? I really don't understand this concept.

Also In a video I saw one of the Uruk-Hai(I dun know his name) In red armor who had a flag on his back kinda reminded me of Yoshimitsu from tekken. Whats the function of those flags? Other than looking good.
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Kyrian » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:18 am

The back flags are for unit identification. Each unit had its own colors and/or symbol.

It's a little bit hard to see in this image but you can see the back flags on some of the horsemen in the background:

Since the flags are higher than the people, it made for easier identification of the different units on the battlefield. If you get a chance, check out the PC game, Shogun: Total Warrior. The back flags are can be used as a part of the interface for selecting specific units.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Fowler » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:18 am

V-hil is the leader of the Uruk-Hai and is the one wearing the flag on the back.

There are a variety of pros and cons to using flags historical or in our sport.

After engaging and eliminating an enemy it provides a focal point for reforming your forces.

Morale boost to your troops and even a destroyer of your enemy's morale. Example: Our KING still lives or Oh no the Uruks are attacking!

Provides generals an understanding of the current formation of his army.

Designates the command structure which gives the enemy a target, but also ensures the army knows when the comman structure needs to be defended.

In our sport looking cool is a recruitment tool for your unit and the sport.

I'm sure there are more.

EDIT: Kyrian's suggestion is right, but don't stop there- play Medieval Total War and Rome Total War- Medieval TW 2 comes out this fall.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby vek » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:22 pm

Some flags did have a point for a spear, but if you ever saw the patriot with mel gibson it shows the power the flag has on mens moral, also the person carrying it. However watch glory with denzel washington and his reaction when offered the flag, your pretty much defenceless. It is an honor to be trusted with your countries flag on the fields of battle, I would be honored to do it. Scared **** though cause I just became a major target.
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Faolan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Flags were used as rally points, command signals, and communications.

Big target.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Conn MacCollach » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:37 pm

very big target. historically, when a banner drops and isn't lifted again, it means the unit just got wiped out. whoever might be left of the unit is likely to rout.

but the inverse is that, assuming a high level of bad-assedness, a couple of people can lift a flag or banner and rally forces enough to turn what was just looked at as a lost cause into a surprise victory.

although not necessarily practical to the sport itself, more banners=more cool.
War Chief of L?echtuath