2x spear

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

2x spear

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:20 pm

In retrospect, two javelins is fairly meh unless you are left-hand dominate then you can distract with the right and shank kidneys with the left.
Last edited by Remdawg Killionaire on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Ezekiel » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:27 am

one spear = very effective
two spears = scarily ineffective

the problems with this idea are plentiful. One major one it lack of close range striking power. two Shields and armor will be spanking you up and down the block more often then not. Even with two javs, the'd only be most effective if thrown, but then you don't have any weapon, or just one jav. Either way, an interesting concept, but it might work better if you had to long stabbing blues, but thats my take on it anyway.
How is a sword?
Ezekiel
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dun-Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whip * and Beat Ugly

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:50 am

I would say it would be ineffective as well, granted I never tried it and am fairly new, but if you were to try it, I would at least HIGHLY recommend a small buckler.
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby savetuba » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 am

tried it, was arrow fodder and I didn't even limb someone.

2 zone 3 weapons work well with 2 people, not 1
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:12 am

Also, you have no way to move other people's shields around effectively to make an opening for yourself... in addition to being archerfodder (unless you dodge well), and not being able to move/pivot/control things effectively.

If you can pull it off effectively, it'd look awesome. I always support combo-diversity anyway.
Last edited by Magpie Saegar on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:14 pm

Dude, give it a shot! It will only make you a better fighter. You'll have twice the reach than that of a shield, and it'll probably be faster than a sword so you can stab people in the legs really easily. Of course, armor can be a problem, but you'll just have to improve your foot work to get that much better.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby bo1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:18 pm

um suprised someone hasn't said this before me

golden rules,

safety, playability, realism

i can see a failure of each of these with this idea.

now it is possible to use 2 javs, just not as controlled as other combos.
i could see some small spears working, not as well as the javs.

javs can be thrown to peirce armor. spears one handed can do nothin to armor. i just see time spent with this could be bettter spent learning more conventional fighting combos and see more improvement.

i am not saying it can't be done, just not sure it is a viable option on the field.

but it is just a game, so be safe and have fun.
Last edited by bo1 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby moondog » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:22 am

i fight with javs all the time mad head shots like WHAT, rare that i hold em long enough to use as 2x spear but going out with only javs is a fun challenge, i figure hey, if coon can kill more than the average fighter with 2 daggers why not 2 spears? just be ready to run your * off
-SHAOLIN DARK ANGEL-
put sum taste in ya mouf
moondog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Sir Farrin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:52 am

the problem with 2 spears is control it is hard enough handling one spear. 2 would get in the way of eachother.
Sir Farrin

Knight of Dunharrow
Lord of the Greybush!
Sir Farrin
Bandit
Bandit

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:13 am

We had a fighter in Dur-De *waay* back in the day (Randalthor, mid-90's) who would come out with a bag strapped to his back full of javvies and did very well. Lots of running, plenty of kills from throwing the javelins, some kills with melee work though.

Of course that was also before Dur-De really used shields.
Zzyzx

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:49 am

We had a nub come out and use a 13ft spear, with a strap-shield and a javelin in his strap shield arm... I laughed, laughed and laughed.
I think I might try a duel javelin-style, but I don't have two javelins. With enough spirit, conviction and Time I believe it'd work; Babylon is not an archer-heavy realm... 'Cept when Xooyan comes t' town, then she more than makes up for our lack.
Thanks for the thoughts! Everyone: you are too kind!
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Ezekiel » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:41 am

I was * around at practice this last sunday and tried using two javalins as my only two weapons. I must say aginst an experienced fighter (and the not even that heavily experienced) its very ineffective after about an avaerage of 2-5 duels. Mostly what would catch people off guard is two thrusting points coming in and either the same time or one following the other closely. I also found that if you raised one up as if to plunge over a shield most shield men would respond in kind, leaving themselves open for the other stab. Though warning you arms will get tired from stabbing to much with such a long weapon, if you could find a way to counter weight it and move the balance point back it may a bit easier.
How is a sword?
Ezekiel
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dun-Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whip * and Beat Ugly

Postby Grey » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:55 am

I've fought like this once and a way similar to this once.

it is an ineffective fighting style because it eliminates a spears advantage (range) over an average shieldman. if you do fight like this, poke their shield out of the way with one and stab um in the gut with the other

but, for just screwin' around, it's great to use funny weapon combos like that.

some of the funnest fights I've had a practices were when I did silly things like fight with a dagger and javelin
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Sir Wharghoul » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:41 pm

I have to weigh in on this, because I like to fight with two javs. The key is, you have to be mobile and able to disengage when you are outmatched. I primarily use the jav in the left hand as a shield, point down, an easy motion to either side effectively blocks shots. With the jav in the right hand, you can easily adjust your grip to give long range stab or close in stab. You also have to be cautious about who you fight against. It is a very fun technique, I would encourage everyone to try it. Just as was mentioned before, this is a game, do something creative and have fun.
I shall stomp upon all who oppose me
The stomping shall be swift
The stomping shall be painful
And I shall show no mercy in all of my stompings
Amen
Sir Wharghoul
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Grey » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Sir Wharghoul wrote:I primarily use the jav in the left hand as a shield, point down, an easy motion to either side effectively blocks shots.

then why not just use a shield?
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dr. Kazi » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:08 pm

Just as was mentioned before, this is a game, do something creative and have fun.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby sugona » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 pm

To me it just sounds reckless. its like the kid who uses two red(it can be done effectively, but rare) would seem like you would have much force behind those hits. It also seems like it would be easily batted away.
AKA Harodeth

CHODE master
sugona
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Black Cat » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.