Stick + Stick + String

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Stick + Stick + String

Postby jacknife » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:22 am

Im starting to get into archery(Don't worry, I'm getting good equipment), but I don't know much about tactics.
any advice?
jacknife
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Kyrian » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Just a few questions first...

1) How much archery have you done?

1a) How much shooting have you done with Belegarth arrows?

2) How comfortable are you at hitting moving targets?

3) Do you plan on carrying any supplemental equipment such as a shield, armor, buckler, or back-up sword?

4) In melee, do you prefer being on your own or part of a group?
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby jacknife » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:25 pm

1. Enough
1a) none
2)comfy
3)backup sword; armor at events (none for practices);not a shield fan.
4)melee? small group(1-2) that can keep pace(im heavy, but fast).
jacknife
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:20 pm

I think Jacknife just got tired of getting hit over and over at practice yesterday and knows I'm too chubby to run him down. :)
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Black Cat » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:06 pm

I need help with archery tactics as well, mostly because I haven't had the opportunity to arch on the field for well over a year, so I'll go ahead and answer these questions as well.

1a) Very little. I have nowhere to shoot normal arrows and my Belegarth arrows are in disrepair due to having virtually no access to open-cell foam.

1b) On the field: Very little

Shooting at a target: Frequently up until a few months ago.

2) Though I have had a total lack of opportunity to practice and a consequently low experience level, I am actually very good at hitting moving targets as long as the target isn't proficient at dodging arrows and/or doesn't see it coming. I have some movement and windage compensation skill, but nothing spectacular. (yet)

I am very comfortable with archery overall, especially since I am already fairly good with a bow and 95% percent of my skill comes from theoretical knowledge and natural ability.

3) A mini-blue sword and a small redsword. I will also equip a buckler once I am able to make one.

4) I prefer to be alone, but I also like to be a part of a 4-man skirmishing team. I don't like being part of a line and avoid being in the first rank of a shield-heavy line fight as much as I can. I also avoid the second rank unless I am equipped with a good-sized glaive. (6-8 feet long; red/green)
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby jacknife » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:I think Jacknife just got tired of getting hit over and over at practice yesterday and knows I'm too chubby to run him down. :)

oh, come on. It wasn't THAT bad. I just want to master All weapons.
as for dealing with shield walls,
send in the glaive near the side.
then send in another polearm two over. To distract the neighbors, no more.
snipe the side guy while hes busy. (unless hes already dead of course)
your job is to pick off guys trying to help out from the other side of the shield wall.
Is this correct when dealing with shield walls?
jacknife
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Olos » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:47 pm

As an archer, a general priority rating for targets would go like this:

Opposing Archers
Glaives/Spears
Red Swords
Fluorentines(reds and flo's for me, mostly just because they are easier to hit, most are of as much impact on the field)
Unhelmeted shield users
Helmeted shield users
helmeted shield users with large shields

However, this list ALWAYS changes depending on what you have available.

A good fighter wearing full armor and using a shield and armor can be a great target, they are just hard to kill. If I see a shot I can take on a tower shield, like if they move their shield just enough to get one in their chest, I always try to take it. Also, you need to be mindful of the respective skill levels of people you want to shoot. If I see a open shot on someone like bhakdar or elwrath etc, someone who can light up an entire line, that's my new priority.

Mostly, you just need to see what you prefer to do, and what you are comfortable with.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Kyrian » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 am

jacknife wrote:1. Enough
1a) none
2)comfy
3)backup sword; armor at events (none for practices);not a shield fan.
4)melee? small group(1-2) that can keep pace(im heavy, but fast).

First off, my apologies for not responding sooner.

1. I'm assuming you've been arching enough to be safe and to be able to hit a target regularly.

1a. Practice with the Belegarth arrows as much as you can. They have significantly different flight characteristics compared to regular arrows. You have to take into consideration that the arrows are very tip-heavy. Probably the most critical task would be in developing what I call the "natural point of aim". This is basically learning how you have to adjust your aiming point based on how far the target is away from you. I'd recommend working on static targets first--human suckers, er, volunteers, preferably, as they resemble what you'll be shooting at on the battlefield. Practicing against a shield is good for developing your basic marksmanship skills but you need to get used to hitting people.

I normally have a human target stand facing away from me and have the person call out a specific target. As you get more accurate, have the target get even more specific. For example, you could have the target say "left leg" or "right arm". Then as you get better, they can say "right elbow", "spine", "left butt cheek", "left calf", etc.

2) If you can hit moving targets with arrows, there's not much you probably need to work on other than keeping in mind the amount of elevation adjustment you need based on range as well as adjusting lead based on the speed of your arrows.

3) Even though you aren't a shield fan, I'd recommend at least considering a buckler. There's very little encumbrance, it's pretty maneuverable, and you can block arrows instead of dodging them.

4) Make it a point to communicate with your group. Give them a heads-up when you see a threat approaching. With your increased area of responsibility, i.e., your extended range, you should see threats early and get warnings out to your group.

Black Cat wrote:I need help with archery tactics as well, mostly because I haven't had the opportunity to arch on the field for well over a year, so I'll go ahead and answer these questions as well.

1a) Very little. I have nowhere to shoot normal arrows and my Belegarth arrows are in disrepair due to having virtually no access to open-cell foam.

1b) On the field: Very little

Shooting at a target: Frequently up until a few months ago.

2) Though I have had a total lack of opportunity to practice and a consequently low experience level, I am actually very good at hitting moving targets as long as the target isn't proficient at dodging arrows and/or doesn't see it coming. I have some movement and windage compensation skill, but nothing spectacular. (yet)

I am very comfortable with archery overall, especially since I am already fairly good with a bow and 95% percent of my skill comes from theoretical knowledge and natural ability.

3) A mini-blue sword and a small redsword. I will also equip a buckler once I am able to make one.

4) I prefer to be alone, but I also like to be a part of a 4-man skirmishing team. I don't like being part of a line and avoid being in the first rank of a shield-heavy line fight as much as I can. I also avoid the second rank unless I am equipped with a good-sized glaive. (6-8 feet long; red/green)

1) If you can, see if there are any other venues where you might be able to shoot, like a friend's basement or yard.

1a) If you can, I'd recommend ordering the arrow kits from Edhellen Armory. Everything's there to make safe arrows other than glue and tape. I believe they do have the special of a roll of the wide Andover grip tape if you get a dozen kits.

1b) Practice shooting as much as you can. While studying about archery and marksmanship is definitely an important part of getting better, you have to put those techniques into practice and get them to the point where they require very little conscious thought.

3) That's a pretty good start. Just remember to have that back-up weapon where you can quickly draw it in case you get charged.

4) Skirmishing archers can be very effective as long as the archer can keep up and can reload on the go--not an easy task to learn. Supporting a line, usually 3-4 paces back at a minimum, has its benefits as you can go for targets of opportunity who aren't looking at you. Also, you have a line of shields that can protect you from melee fighters and enemy missiles. If you're supporting a line, keep shifting your position so that enemy archers can't effectively bring counterfire on you. You can go for kills but sometimes hitting legs can be just as useful as it pins the person in place.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby jacknife » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Kyrian wrote:1a) If you can, I'd recommend ordering the arrow kits from Edhellen Armory. Everything's there to make safe arrows other than glue and tape. I believe they do have the special of a roll of the wide Andover grip tape if you get a dozen kits.

Yeah, I tried that, now 36 bucks are missing and no arrows.
DO NOT give a P.O. box address when ordering.
they use UPS.
jacknife
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Cyric » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Learn how to shoot and reload on the run.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics