Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tips for the battlefield

Postby Kyrian » Mon May 29, 2006 1:37 am

Situational awareness
--Always check behind you.
--Warn other members of your team.

Communicate!!!!!!!!!!
--If you're in charge, brief everyone before battle on the plan?Make sure everyone understands what?s going to happen.
--Review prior battles.
--Observe units and fighters to learn their patterns. Communicate this to your team.

Strength in numbers
--Try to engage single opponents with at least 2 or three people.
--Pull crippled fighters together.
Avoid engaging the enemy?s strengths--Engage at your maximum effective range?Use missile weapons and spears/polearms to whittle down the enemy.

Isolate and eliminate stragglers.

Don?t give the enemy openings in your formation to exploit.

Gimp and go. Focus on the unwounded fighters first.

Don?t hesitate to engage targets of opportunity.

Stop all missile weapons or else they may continue and hit someone else.

PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! Individual ability adds to a team?s success.

Feel free to add anything else you might have.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sir_Mel » Mon May 29, 2006 2:14 am

#1 thing to do: Protect your nuts. Too many times I've seen guys go down due to a clean nut shot and have to sit for a few fights.

Know where your team is. Don't get serperated cause you'll most likely get picked off by the other team.

Gimps are your friend. People wont try to attack them as much as they would somebody with all of their limbs. I remember one time during a game of CTF (capture the flag), I had received a leg shot yet somehow made it to the other side of the field on my knees. I was able to go through the entire wall of the other team and the flag to a teammate who had just arrived at the side of the field I was on. We then proceeded to win the round.

Like Kyrian said, apply principles of Sun Tzu, avoid strengths and attack weaknesses. If they have a lot of skirmishers and not very many shield, use missles as much as possible.

Always note that whatever holds true for you, is the same for enemy. If you see a way to get around a weakness of the enemy, be careful that he might see the same thing in you.

And that's all I can think of right now.

Later
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Fowler » Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 am

I would add: when in a line attack at a diagonal if possible.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby Kyrian » Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 am

Melannen,

#1 thing to do: Protect your nuts. Too many times I've seen guys go down due to a clean nut shot and have to sit for a few fights.

Why not wear a cup instead and not worry about it?
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

florentine
archery

Postby Ryoma » Wed May 31, 2006 2:14 pm

Kyrian wrote:Melannen,

Why not wear a cup instead and not worry about it?

This presents a problem for me as I can't find any cups that are big enough to fit me. :(
Ryoma
Brute
Brute

Postby Nakis » Wed May 31, 2006 8:38 pm

Hmm, my advices...

Be aware. Sure, know where they are, but also know why they are.

Keep your head or lose it, very simple rule.

Unknown factors, or anyone untested in battle, are a risk. But still let them have their fun without killing them from the get go.

There is a time for missles, and a time for fire. Razing their defenses with a shield rush, even faked, can open them widely.

Fear is also a wonderful friend. Even a simple shout and aggresive move can give you a second or two. Shouting something complicated can really doze them as they try to figure it out.

Know your terrain. I've come close to spraining ankles on holes, bushes and other people too many times before. I've had a kid trip over me and cost his team a victory. And I've had a few, "disagreements" with a tree stump when backing into it at full speed.

Finally, you don't have to stay on your feet. I've seen people jump and dodge by rolling to know how effective it can be used when applied correctly. Although, a poorly timed jump means injury.

Just my wisdom, brought to you by my and my allies pains and victories.
Nakis

Postby Sir_Mel » Wed May 31, 2006 9:05 pm

Nakis wrote:Know your terrain. I've come close to spraining ankles on holes, bushes and other people too many times before. I've had a kid trip over me and cost his team a victory. And I've had a few, "disagreements" with a tree stump when backing into it at full speed.victories.

Very true, I can remember one time I lost in a single tourny because I tripped over a * rock. :(
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Matrim » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Be carefull of flanking manuevers. When in a line, people have a tendancy to march slightly to their right. this allows the opponents to rush around behind you and wipe out your force. Put people with larger sheilds to the left, as this gives the "weak" side a better defence. It also allows your more offencive troops to swing around the enemy's flank, effectively destroying them.

(This comes from experience on the battlefield, usualy being on the weaker side.)
Matrim
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Nakis » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Hrm,

If you are outnumbered...
-Don't circle. The Rose of Blades is only a fancy way to die.
-Be on the look out for projectiles.
-Try to have a gimp on each side watching. They aren't attacked often if they have shields, or they are attacked by javs which land close at hand.
-Save your projectiles for choice shots.
-If they charge you, split right before they hit you and attack the fleshy innards of their charge.

If you outnumber them...
-Aim carefully with all weapons, it is easy to wound or be surprised.
-Shield Kicks are your friend.
-Shouting "Rock!" could get their attention for a swing.
-Keep them at arms length with a polearm.

Against Shields...
-Shield bash and kicks are fun.
-Shields do wear down and can hurt after awhile, bash on them for awhile.
-Swing and force them to block, have a friend attack them while they open their gut.

Against Polearms...
-Get in and attack.
-If you can, grab the shaft of the weapon and hold it.
-Or, you can throw stuff at them until they die.

Tip: If you have a black hat, throw it at someone and shout "Rock!" to startle them.
Nakis

Postby Dabbanoth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:33 pm

ive got the "Black Hat Rock" tip beat, i have a GENUINE carnival hat that passes as a rock, and is still wearable, walking along, whip it off, bounce it off some poor fools head, KA-OWNED
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Kyrian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:50 am

Dagganoth,

Explain to me how your post:

ive got the "Black Hat Rock" tip beat, i have a GENUINE carnival hat that passes as a rock, and is still wearable, walking along, whip it off, bounce it off some poor fools head, KA-OWNED

is relevant to "Tips for the battlefield"?
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

florentine
archery

Postby Dabbanoth » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 am

i beleive its as realavent as its preceeder, it shows a tactic of stealth and surprise in my weapon making, something other than a distraction that can do real damage
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Kudigudi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:03 pm

hehe dag, your a clever man.

I'm pretty new but I had an amazing teacher so, here migh be a few tips for taking a single someone down.

If they dont have a sheild a good thing to do if your fast enough, (most vets know this) is to stick your knee out in front of you, enemys think you arent watching it and go for it, thinking easy hit, when they swing pull your leg back, lean forward and when they are still recooperating from the swing, smack them on the undefended back, neer worked for me because our teacher in belegarth class told everyone, so I couldent pull it off there.

another good tip is when fighting sheilds (almost everyone should know this) if youve got a blue fake for their headd then quickly change direction aiming for their legs, almost always the sheild holder will raise they shield up abit, because even if they know you wont hit their head, it is human nature to make sure it is protected.

This is all I really got that you guys havnt said, and most people already know these tricks in battle

Tinney out
"Of course fight fire with fire. Fight EVERYTHING with fire!"
Kudigudi
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board.

Postby Izanaki » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:05 pm

thats a very cool move, i'll have to try that. One thing you can differ in that move to mix it up though is, lets say they have a shield, if they lean to one side, and twist their body in order to go for leg shots, if you want to put the fear of god into them, then take out one of their arms, maybe the weapon arm depending on if they use an opposite hand than you to fight with, and at the same time, grab them, and force them to the ground, and just grapple them, and then after a few times over a little bit of time, mixing it up between the way thats posted above, and this way, they wont want to go for leg shots, because they will be afraid of either being killed, or being practically tackled to the ground.

better when there are not a whole lot of people around to back stab you when you do it.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Shyftir » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:07 pm

My most used stratedgy is the "volume of shots technique."

If you throw as many diffrent shots as possible eventuaslly one of them will work. Often times my attack plan is just keep taking shots until the other guy screws up and leaves himself open.

I always do my best to keep the other guy on the defensive, if he has to block me repeatedly he doesn't have as much time to think and/or attack me.

I've also noticed that faking a shot on one opponent often opens up the guy next to him on the bounce off a shield.
MUXLOVIA

Clan Black-Hawk - Trueborn
Shyftir
Thug
Thug

Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan Black-Hawk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board & Blue, Javelin

Postby Olos » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:11 pm

Only problem with that is if you are swinging fairly wildly, it will be pretty easy for your opponent to do a quick shot to your sword arm, rendering you fairly useless. Counter swinging someone's sword arm is, by the way, basically my favorite tactic. Not only do you get rid of the pesky shield, most fighters are quite a bit worse with their offhand.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:57 am

When fighting Florentine vs Sword and Board...

Be aggressive

A good example of this is fake high, and lunge into his shield and take out both legs. Death is death. (Do not do this against a flail however, it is far to easy to hit someone in an akward position with a flail)

I find alot of times, people with shields do not expect you to expose part of your body to swing low, and fewer still expect you to plow straight into their shields. (The realm I operate in is primarily light punch shields, which are easy to dominate over)
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby hoplite » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:54 pm

this is a spear combo I learned from some guy, it goes attack, retreat (which just means step back a few feet) feign, and than attack their leg

works almost everytime.
hoplite
Barbarian
Barbarian

Unit: Dimma Ulfur

Postby Spork » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:04 pm

How did guests get the option to post in here?
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Olos » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:59 pm

This forum was recently made public. But yeah, i didnt know guests could post.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Elwrath » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 am

best tip: win
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

RE: Tips

Postby Calarn the Black » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 pm

1. Know your equipment...what your strike ranges are, how large or small your shield is, etc.

2. Remember to call your armor if you have it on. (You forget sometimes...it DOES happen) Also, be aware of what your armor covers, and where it ends.

3. Be aware of where the enemy archers are, and if they're glancing in your direction.

4. Try not to throw the same shot twice in the same battle.

5. Don't duck. I won't feel sorry for you if a torso shot ends up hitting your face, which is suddenly on the same level as your waist.

6. While on that subject, blocking with your head is generally a bad idea.

7. Work with at least one other person as much as possible...learn how to effectively fight with that person as a pair. This helps during large scale battles, such as realm or unit.
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Move faster, stop getting hit so much.
Pay **** attention.
Look Scary. If people are even a little intimadated, you're ahead of the game.
And most importantly:
Try to look like you going to do something, then do something else. From moving long distance to throwing shots, If they think you're goin over here--->, make sure to go over here<------.
Oh yeah, one more thing, smile mother ****.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Re: RE: Tips

Postby savetuba » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:12 pm

Calarn the Black wrote:5. Don't duck. I won't feel sorry for you if a torso shot ends up hitting your face, which is suddenly on the same level as your waist.

amen

don't turn and run.

If you do run you open up your back for a nice ranged shot, won't know if someone is behind you or not, and will eventually run out of room to run away.

Always keep a dagger handy. You never know when you will need a small stabby.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Skydd » Wed May 02, 2007 3:09 pm

"Your fists can't hit what your eyes can't see". Use distraction as much as possible. In a line fight a single person unaccounted for can spell disaster for your entire team.

Remember, hitting someone in the back my not be the most honorable thing to do, but it gets the job done.
Sir Skydd of Dunharrow
King of Dunharrow
Skydd
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2002

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 am

If you can't see someone, they can't see you. If they just passed behind a tree, sweep around, kill them.

Shorter weapons have their place in the battlefield, do not think longer weapons are always better.
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby Nakis » Sun May 06, 2007 8:44 pm

Varied tips.

-General Weapons
Be confidant. This has been mentioned before. Don't look like you just picked up the weapon unless you want to surprise someone. Look like you were born with that sword.

A passing familiarity with most weapons can help you if you have been disarmed and you have to search for a new one on the fly. That, and you can apply most sword techniques to flail work. Sometimes, one weapon style flows into another weapon style.

Pick up your feet while walking. Dragging your feet is noisy, impedes most movement, and it takes more energy.

When you are in a wooded area, note thorn bush locations, poisonous plants, and mark where you throw or shoot projectiles.

My biggest tip is thus...

Want to be there. If you don't want to be on the battlefield, there is a good chance that someone is going to beat you easily, or you will find no fun in beating others down.

What's the point in coming out to play, if all you are here to do is literally beat other people down?
Nakis

Postby ICARUS » Mon May 07, 2007 9:46 am

This should probably be copied into the fighting develpoment area. Just because it was made and is designed to hold such titles. *flashes badge* jk
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby sugona » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:45 am

I've been reading these post and I've gained allot of usefull info.

My wisome is this. I lead a unit of line fighters. we focus on sticking together, teamwork, and playing off each others shots.

Its important to know that not every fight requires flanking and that while flanking your line is weakened (depending on how many people form the line)

Another tip I have is to make a friend, Its easier to block or play off shots from someone that you know and trust.

That is my wisdom, if it helps it helps if not .. o' well

peace!
AKA Harodeth

CHODE master
sugona
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Tips for the battlefield

Postby arbiter sc0rp10 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:42 pm

this may not be realavent to the past conversation (its been a year) but on a team an arrow formation against a sheild wall should work
- it breaks the wall and lets the rest of the
formation in to make a bigger hole,
split their formation in 1/2 , and causes
chaos against the enemys ranks

. . . . . . . . . <--- wall

. . <---"arrow" form.

. . .
. . . .
MOO!! Ima Zumbie!!!! MILK!
arbiter sc0rp10
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 May 2008
Unit: Blackwater Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive/dagger
Sword/Shiels

Re:

Postby Titan G » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Elwrath wrote:best tip: win

fact
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Re: Tips for the battlefield

Postby jester kaiu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 pm

alil late but tips can always help.

- if you like to gimp legs. when one on one step back to make them step forward. this puts them in movement and only on one leg. swing for the one thats still on the ground.

- if you have the shot, try and take the leg on the opposite side you swing. (i.e. if your right handed take their right leg). this sets their live leg up on your swinging side. also most fighters arent comfortable on their sword side knee.

- if you are out numbered try to look for an escape. running could save your life. this separates their group if they chase and gets your adrenaline pumping.

- if out numbered again and you have teamates finishing up people from behind them, its now time for defense. just keep an eye out for your team.

- the deception of a having a short sword is great. (i.e. i carry a 28'' blue and a min red as a down). when theyre rolling up on you, if they take theyre eyes off of you for even a second. switch and hide the length. this is a great way to leg people.

- if stuck fighting two people. try and determine who the aggressive fighter is. either gimp him and wait for him to make a mistake or gimp the more defensive one and pull the aggressor away.

- if in a unit, try and practice a lot with 2 individuals to learn everything about their fighting styles. if you have to split on the field try and stick with them. chances are that one will be up still.

- when fighting with a team mate, especially in a unit, try to set up an in unit language. this doesnt have to be spoken. (i.e. a simple tap to an enemys sword side can tell your team mate to swing high on that side while you swing low on the other.)

- if you are going to die, and there is other team mates up. inflict as much damage as possible. this is only in instances where there is no possible way your gonna live.

- if you are by yourself and an archer is killing your enemy... he is now your friend. pick up a few arrows and bring them to him. dont leave swinging distance without killing him. just because you brought him arrows doesnt mean he wont shoot you with one.

and finally... dont be useless.
Sir Kaiu the Twisted Sun
War-chief of Jester's Court
jester kaiu
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 07 Aug 2006
Realm: Dunharrow-dekalb
Unit: Jesters Court
Favorite Fighting Styles: Random chance swings, alot of 'em

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics