Amtgard -Winter War VI Feb. 10-12

What's Coming Up?

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Amtgard -Winter War VI Feb. 10-12

Postby Wisp » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:56 am

What: Winter War VI (not the southern marches Belegarth winterwar, its those * over at Amtgards winter war! :)
When: Feb 10,11,12 2006
Where: Camp Carlson Fort Knox KY
Cost: $10 (includes feast and camping fees)
===============================

Howdy Belegarth. We sure enjoyed making it to Beltain and Equinox this past year and meeting all your hip fighter types. We'd like to return the favor from this past Unit Wars, and invite you down to our version of Winter War. This year its team based into an event circuit. Each event yields points, your final standing determins what army you fight with in the full on Winter War, and the team with the most points, brings home the trophy.

We've purposly made sure that the tourney events are team based and are what we call militia style (which means more or less identical rules to Belegarth). I.E. no amtgard fantasy classes in the tourney. Just armor, and fighting. If you've got Edhellen quality weapons, we'll pass em', so you've got no excuse not to come down and fight it out.

Winter War is usually around 200 people in attendance and there are events going round'the clock friday through saturday. Feast will be held in the lodge on Saturday night and is included in the gate fee.

Come visit Camp Carlson. It is an awesome event site (my personal favorite). There are still cabins for rent (they are going quick). These are very high quality cabins. Full creature comforts of home. Living room set, entertainment center, full kitchen, showers and bathroom, dining tables... the whole nine yards... but theres only five left.

For more information, watch the website at www.nemoralis.net
We will be releasing the full battlegame details this week. Feel free to email, post or call with any questions.

Hope to see as many Belegarth folk as possible to compete for the trophy of best unit.

Sir Wisp Nemoralis
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Zzyzx » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:51 pm

This is only about 3 hours north of the Dur-De South, even closer for our KY realms. $10 is *very* reasonable, especially for a 200+ people event. This would be a great start to the new season, also gives us a chance to get some event fighting on 2 weeks before our Winter War in Bama. Back to back events, awesome!
Zzyzx

Postby Mefit the Merciless » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:57 pm

Z, you wanna go?
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Secretary of Dur Demarion
"Hey! You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone. Do it again, I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron"
Viking Bastards: Combating Turdary since the 9th century
Mefit the Merciless
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 30 Mar 2002
Realm: Dur-De South
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Postby Zzyzx » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:09 pm

Let's DO IT.

Zzyzx

Events are Detailed on Site

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:04 am

The full events for the Circle Tourney are now on the website. These are the events that will make up the team tourney, so check em out, get a team together, and start practicing. No suprises, no last minute changes. What you see is what you get.

www.nemoralis.net/circle_tourney

Questions or Comments Welcome

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kegg » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:20 am

Wisp, the rules for the Circle tourney have all sorts of information about class restrictions.

How is a Belegarth team going to fit in this (no classes amongst our guys)?

Is there magic or is it pretty much all ditching?

Thanks...
Kegg

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1988

Circle Tourney Rules

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:28 am

Kegg,

We've designed all of the events in the circle tourney to be militia battles or straight ditch rules. When we say militia battles, that means we use armor, weapon abilities (red weapons), projectiles, and everything else that is more or less exactly like Belegarth. The ONLY class anything in this will be the Bridge Battle and that is only one player who will be allowed to play Healer (which can cast Heal and Mend spells). The two healer spells basically allow a wounded player to become unwounded and any points off of armor to be restored at a rate of 1 per Mend spell. Outside of that one class aspect, there isn't any.

Unless a Reeve tells you its a ditch battle, you can more or less just play Belegarth rules. The only exceptions I can think of is the leg on ground rule you guys have that we don't, and Archers cannot call their own shots. Other than that, its more or less the same.

The War itself will have full class everything. The War however, is the last event on Saturday and is only maybe an hour or so of the entire event. Everything else, is either ditch or militia. Belegarth players will prolly have more of a problem trying to adjust to the fewer rules that the ditching involves than trying to adjust to the class stuff since there really isn't any.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kenneth » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:37 am

I'm going to try and make this event. Not sure 100% yet, but I'll do my best.
Save me some extra sticks!
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

sticks

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:07 pm

Just bring your own sticks. Bel sticks will pass our inspections no problem if they are anything like the Edhellen swords I have seen and bought at the bel events. Our stabbing tip rules are a lot more lax than Bel's. Unless your just trying to put the tip through someone, I doubt anyone will *.

Bel arrows, javalins, pole-arms, etc are all more than ok from what I've seen at Beltain, Equinox, and the local Bel parks. Shouldnt be any problems.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kegg » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:01 pm

I will see if I can drag a Numenorean 10 man team down. I know I would like to attend.
Kegg

ten man

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:00 pm

Great. If you have a team/company/unit logo, send me a link or shoot me a file. We will be posting a page with all the logo's of the established units/companies/teams standard or logos. So far we've got some good stick attending. Luminari, Dark Riders, Dragon Houndz, Justicars, Triads, Sol Invictus, No Heros, Brothers Grimm, and Grendel. We'd love to get as many Bel companies involved as possible. The rules translate very well and since its a no class type competition, it is a fair and good gauge of stick skills. Should be fun and extremly competitive.

Oh yeah, theres still one small cabin left. Double Bed if anyones interested. They are nice. Better than a hotel in fact.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kyrax » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:14 pm

Not to dispute your positive comments Wisp, but you recently posted on the Boffer_LARPS yahoogroup list that you only use edhellen weapons on Belegarth fields to "avoid the silliness factor" (i.e. folks blowing off your shots because you aren't of the group). Wouldn't the same make sense for Belegarth fighters wanting to try your group's event, to use Amtgard-style fun-noodle and fiberglass wands covered in pantyhose? Otherwise, folks like Kegg or Kenny would be making the trip only to find out that they would be "light years behind the middle to higher end Amt fighters."

I'm not suggesting that you personally are responsible for outfitting any Belagrim coming to your local event, but it might help if links could be provided to merchants or to weapons making instructions (or maybe those are already on the event website - I can't make it so haven't read it). I'm guessing that Kegg or another foam-smith could arrange to have a few weapons made to your specs in time, if they don't have them already.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Kegg » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:51 pm

Trust me Kyrax, we (I and any other Numenoreans who attend) will be fully outfitted with all the 3 ounce cylindrical swords that we can carry (and thats alot). It's an advantage to having an armory. 8) We of course won't be using funnoodle, but we do make swords that weigh a similar amount. (kite spar + minimum safe foam + nylon covers - tape = seriously light weapon).

I think what Wisp is saying is... that ultralight turbo swords are not required. That Edhellen style weapons will pass for safety, even if they are not optimally designed for ultra-speed style games.
Kegg

weight factor

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Yep what keg said.

As for flat vs round factor... shouldn't really make that much of a difference. I use bel sticks when at bel events because belegarth allows for players to call "light" and round blades are looked down upon. Even when they weigh the same, it's easier to just use flat blades for the games sake.

In Amtgard the reverse of this is not true. If the shot makes contact, it is a hit. There is no "light". So a hit from a flatblade, being swung with even minimal force will be a good hit if it connects. If someone shrugs a shot from anyone using a flatblade because they don't like flatblades at WW, they are simply cheating and the Reeves will call it as such.

As for the eternal debate of heavy vs. light weapons, I refer you to one of the bazillion threads on that subject already on this board. Or you can just come to Winter War and find out for yourself. ;)

EDIT: Heres a link to a how 2 pdf for turbo clubs...
http://nemoralis.net/swordhow2.pdf
This isn't the greatest tech, but it's a lot better of a design than what the average amt-fighter uses. Gotta provide your own mad skillz though.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Re: weight factor

Postby Kyrax » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:10 pm

Wisp wrote:As for flat vs round factor... shouldn't really make that much of a difference. I use bel sticks when at bel events because belegarth allows for players to call "light" and round blades are looked down upon. Even when they weigh the same, it's easier to just use flat blades for the games sake.

In Amtgard the reverse of this is not true. If the shot makes contact, it is a hit. There is no "light". So a hit from a flatblade, being swung with even minimal force will be a good hit if it connects. If someone shrugs a shot from anyone using a flatblade because they don't like flatblades at WW, they are simply cheating and the Reeves will call it as such.

I was pretty confident that Kegg could take care of himself, even if he is a newbie at this. :roll:

But my point was to get that other idea across about the radically different weapons construction and usage in your game. No reason to waste folks time or make a trip disappointing over what is an important detail. And what you just said above about there being no "light" in Amtgard is a critical detail to a Belegrim fighter. Besides, given your opinion of the skill level of Belegarth fighters, I wanted to give them every chance to change your mind.

As for our discussions about weapon weights and the like, no need I'm pretty familiar with them - and it's off-topic. The topic here is discussing your local group's event in Kentucky. I wish that I could come, but that's a long way from California and I'm recovering from minor surgery, so fighting may not be a bright idea that soon.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

fighters and such

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:27 pm

Theres not really that radical of a difference in the weapon constructions. There are only so many variences on putting foam on sticks. The important part to point out with this discussion is that the flat vs. round only really matters at the higher end of fighting and for the average fighters its really kinda pointless. We were using flatblades pretty much as the standard back in the 1990's. As our game doesn't make use of full contact shieldbashes etc. our weapon tech evolved to support shot placement, speed, and finess when that became the primary drive of the game. As we got further away from thinking of our sticks as being swords, certain parts of our games changed. Trick shots, combo's, etc. which led to the favored status of round or omni-bladed "swords". You simply cannot pull off certain trick shots, or match the speed of specific combo's when weilding a flatblade. It's not that we don't like them, they just don't support our style of play as well.

A lot of players just don't either care about the sport aspect as a sport and still view boffer stuff more as a LARP and like the idea of having a "sword" instead of a stick and so would rather use a flat. In fact, a good number of Amtgardians in our area use flat blades. A few of my Kingdom's parks are actually multi-group Amt/Dag/Bel groups so we see them all the time. Also with our area being relitivley young as far as Amtgard goes, there are still a lot of hybrids or older style tech floating around. You'll mainly run into them during quest games as they don't end up on the ditch line very often.

I'm familiar with Kegg, Agmarth, Kenny, and a few others who will be down at Winter War. I know them to be solid and clean fighters who will have no trouble at all. From what I understand, the Knights of Numenor are the best fighters in the entire game of Belegarth. I do think that all things being even, if they use Bel sticks, they will beat the hell outta the average team using rounds at the event. However, going against some of the better companies which they might also well be able to trounce, being able to throw faster shots and combo's without having to place a 2 inch edge of foam and avoid a six inch flat surface will help that effort a lot. Especially when you've got four shots to your one coming at you. It's simply a faster game and in order for anyone to compete, you have to make use of the tech that best suits that style of play.

Wisp
Last edited by Wisp on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Judas » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:28 pm

Frankly I am glad that Kyrax brought this stuff up. I am less than an hour away from this event and being that winter has put all practices here on hold I am seriously contemplating coming down to fight with you guys. However I am a little concerned about the weapon weights and a few other small little details that separate our game from yours. Like armour points and magic fu-fu balls. I know you said that all those things will be kept more or less to a minimum but it seems as though there are a few games and battles where they will pertain. Furthermore, I am not concerned with the Amtgard hits being too light. I try to take everything I feel. I figure if it was hard enough for me to feel it and call light then the hit more than likely made enough contact to count. However, I have been told (and this might be wrong) that Belegarth swings could be considered ?baseball? swings in Amtgard and could more than likely get one ejected from a game/battle. And I have seen first hand some Amtgard fighters get * over what would be considered common practice within a Belegarth fight.
So where can I find an Amtgard rulebook?

As a side note to all Belegarth fighters that are considering this event: Perhaps we could just form a Belegarth team for the tourneys as I figure there probably won?t be too many of us there. And if you Edhellen peeps end up fabricating some speed-clubs I would be happy to purchase one.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

swings and such

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Judas,

During the team tourney, the only magic will be in the bridge battle. That is limited to one player being able to play healer. He gets two spells. Heal and Mend. He says an incantaion, boom target player is either healed, or his armor is mended. Outside of this one battle game, there will be NO magic in the tourney. In fact, it will basically be just like Belegarth except for armor usage. Where you have 1 pt of leather, 1 pt of chain, 1 pt of plate... we have 1 pt leather, 3 pts chain and 5 pts plate. Thats it.

The rulebook can be found in the downloads section of E-Sam located at www.electricsamurai.com If for some reason thats down, I'll upload a copy to the event website. You'll need Adobe Acrobat 7 reader to view the pdf. Anything earlier won't work and you'll get some weird error.

As for swinging too hard... 1st, in my limited Bel experience, the only time I've thought I've been hit excessively was by what I figured were newbs. They either had really poorly constructed weapons, or were so lacking in technique they were flailing around without any real point or purpose. If you don't match either of those, I doubt you'll have any issues. 2nd, there is no reason to swing super hard at Amtgard. If you're having to swing that hard, you are prolly trying to make up for lack of speed. Hard doesn't equal speed, it equals hard. There will be all night ditching on Friday. This will be a good place to calibrate your speed etc. before taking the field in the tourney on Saturday should you have to go that far. I've played with you in Louisville, from what I can tell you swing about like the typical Amtgardian.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Re: fighters and such

Postby Zzyzx » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:34 pm

Wisp wrote:From what I understand, the Knights of Numenor are the best fighters in the entire game of Belegarth.

Whoa whoa whoa! I would go as far as to say the Knights of Numenor may be the best tabard-wearing fighters in Numenor, but not the best fighters in the entire game.

They do have some awesome fighters (Sir Tybalt is amazing), but in a 4 on 4 competition I'd put Horde Headhunters against Knights of Numenor any day.
Zzyzx

Postby Thorrinn Eikanskaldisson » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:01 am

just remember we cant shield bash in amtgard. I do remember years back playing a master barbarian... rage was a nifty thing and not having to worry about casters as much. But I am glad I found my home in heavier weapons here. But to all that are going you should have a blast.
Thorrinn h?fu?k?pa skerandi Eikanskaldisson
Ulfric ?ttflokkur Dimma ?lfur
Swordbrother to Kensman Tauron
Thorrinn Eikanskaldisson
Gladiator
Gladiator

Re: fighters and such

Postby Wisp » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:08 am

Zzyzx wrote:
Wisp wrote:From what I understand, the Knights of Numenor are the best fighters in the entire game of Belegarth.

Whoa whoa whoa! I would go as far as to say the Knights of Numenor may be the best tabard-wearing fighters in Numenor, but not the best fighters in the entire game.

They do have some awesome fighters (Sir Tybalt is amazing), but in a 4 on 4 competition I'd put Horde Headhunters against Knights of Numenor any day.

Well luckily enough, you'll both be at Winter War... Given the nature of the tourneys there, that can be easily determined. :angel:

I was just repeating the reputation I've heard of that group. I've only fought at bel events twice, and both times I've heard... Knights of Numenor = best fighters in Belegarth. Hoard = broom skirts.

hehe, just kidding ya. I didn't REALLY hear they were the best fighters in Belegarth.

Ok, ok, ok... yes I did.

But what do I know?

I'm an outland pig dog.

"Quack".

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kegg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:58 am

Numenorean knights hold there own on the field. We excel at some styles of fighting (haven't lost a bridge battle with similar number of participants in over 10 years), are only OK at others. I would say that certain EBF teams would beat us in several types of fights.

We seriously enjoy fighting as a group against others. If a horde team would like to fight, please let us know (though we fought and handily beat a mostly Dur-Demarion horde team at Arm last year in the 10 man tourney).

What I think we do best though is fight outnumber. Numenor for a lot of reasons often ends up fighting at 1-2 odds or worse. In realm battles, we often have ended up fighting the whole field (all other realms together), and actually have pulled off a win or three. We also have been brutally stomped on several occasions (always fun too). I think getting seriously ganged up on is the truest sign of respect in the sport. The EBF I know have been on the receiving end of serious multi-unit smack down. If you (or your unit), isn't drawing serious attention to yourself (in that they wish to decisively stomp you), you or your unit probably is not considered much of a threat.

Anyway Wisp, thanks for the compliment. I will try and get several Numenoreans to attend Winter War.
Last edited by Kegg on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kegg

Postby Winfang » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:05 pm

Now Kegg, who would get Galin? You or us? :D

I'll take a look at my schedule and see if I can make it.

In defense of the Head-Hunters, a 4v4 match up would be quite different then the 10v10 we ran. Simply changing the type of field we have from being a limited area to open field would have changed even the 10v10. Also, some Head-Hunters like Bakdar and Davit where not on D-D's teams but would certainly be on a Head-Hunter team. A 4v4 would be a good match up. But could you both beat an EBF-Avalon team of Galin, Spazzz, Bran, and myself? We won at ArmIV :)
Last edited by Winfang on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Kegg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:08 pm

My guess is we could have a very nice EBF/KoN unified team, if we don't bring enough fighters for both of us to field a team individually.

If we both attended, I suppose it would be up to Galin. :P
Kegg

Postby Kegg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:21 pm

That's why I was quite careful in quantifying things we are very good at and things we are OK at. Four on four, makes everything more fluid and I agree that it is much more open to random chance. In 4 on 4 fighting, you get a lucky kill, all of a sudden you outnumber them by 33%.

I have the utmost respect for Bakdur's fighting skill, but consider him on par with Soth.

I also respect Davit, but believe Argoth is more than up to the challenge in a fight with him.

As far as Galin goes, I think you and I will agree that he his probably the best fighter currently in Belegarth. He claims four basic allegiances - Numenor (his current realm), Avalon (where he started fighting), Knight of Numenor, and member of EBF. I think a better answer to your question would be, denying all of the above units/realms the use of Galin's sword, who would win. My honest opinion would be that it would be pretty even. Heck I would put my money on a 4 man horde team if Galin was one of the participants (along with Bakdur of course).
Kegg

Postby Kenneth » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:33 pm

Less E-peen overall please. Unit pride is all well and good, but I think both unit and game pride caused some serious problems the last Unit Wars.

If I go to this event, I'm definitely using Amtgard sticks. I know there's no way I can match the sheer speed and flexibility those turbo clubs offer me. I'll still hit too hard, but I think using a lighter club pulled down my swing level once I got used to the weight. I'd rather avoid having the Amtgard people think I was out to kill them anyways. Even footing is a good thing. It took a day or two to adjust to the Amtgard clubs, but once I did, I had a blast. I will say, almost the entire late night fields were Amtgard, and I'm looking forward to spending all night fighting. Can't do that with my normal swords.

I'm looking forward to meeting the Amtgard guys again. I make them look black and blue, they make me look like a newb. Its a great relationship we've got going!

-Kenneth

Edit- Whoops, it took me so long to type my post that it looks to have defused a bit! I was still responding to way up there!
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Kegg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 pm

What is all this new fangled slang you are using?

E-peen = Opinion?
Last edited by Kegg on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegg

Postby Kenneth » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:45 pm

Careful Kegg, you're showing your age. =P

The technical definition:
E-peen
Internet slang for ego, pride, or attitude in the virtual world. long standing net definition for the age old "bigger penis" arguement.
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Kegg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:49 pm

Yep, just push me in the grave. Sorry for not keeping up with the latest l33t speak. 8)
Kegg

Postby Kenneth » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:52 pm

A mark of a good squire is to follow a knight's orders to the letter, and then give an extra 25%.

*Pushes Kegg into a grave and buries him*
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Winfang » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:50 pm

You're see more of these fighters then I do, as I'm trapped out here in the East. Those are fairly good comparisons based off what I've seen of the fighters.

Galin is much more consistent fighter then many of us, and that's probably one of the things that makes him phenomenal at this game. Any team that can rely on what he brings to the battlefield has an significant increase in moral, which improves there chances of winning. Avalon consistently banked on it when he lived here, so did Numenor in the 10man this year. People fear Galin, and that always works to his side's advantage. There are times that I can fight as well as Galin can, maybe even better then he can, but I can't do it all the time like he can.

Maybe in the 4man at (inset event here) we convince Galin to sit out so we can see who would win then? I think it would be a much more interesting tournament.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Izareth » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:55 pm

At Geddon 4 the realm of numinor beat all of the other realms in a limited field, 10 man tourney. If that's how you decide fighting superiority, then we need to have more tournaments.

I admit Zzyzx had an opinion about the complements afforded the Knights of Numinor, but I think this is because in an open field in large battles they are often beaten by tactics that we were unable to depend on in our match.

I respect your team and that fight was well won. I'd like to not have this one instance determine the pecking order of fighters here. Just like I'm sure you wouldn't want SpringWar's Great War to decide the same thing.

I know I'm whining, being in that realm tournament was the least fun I've had at an event in years.

And Winfang: Galin on one side was something that determined our battles everytime.
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 pm

I went back and reread some of the previous posts and I over-reacted. What I have to remember is that I love fighting you guys, and sometimes I forget that. It's when I forget that that I have a bad time.
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kegg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:47 pm

I apologize for any affront I may of caused anyone.

No, I don't consider winning a single (or even 10) tournament(s) decisive in determination of group skill.

Yes. I agree that there are many things that KoN are not the "best" at. Or down right poor at (humility is obviously one of these for at least one of us). ;)

Yes. I very much enjoy fighting everyone (including Amtgarder's) and hope to be doing it for the next 16 years, like I have done for the past 16.

Key thing to remember is that Knights of Numenor (KoN) aren't really a unit. We do not fight in Unit Battles as a unit, some of us don't always get along, we rarely camp with each other or hang out with each other outside the sport. What we historically have been are the best veteran fighters that have come from Numenor (and therefore those that run the realm) Seeing that Numenor has probably had over a 1000 members in 16 years, that we historically have had one of the largest realms, that we all own and wear stupid amounts of armor, it would be odd if our best 25 fighters (the number of Numenorean's knighted) over that period didn't fight well. I think that 10 man team that fought at Arm last year must of had 100 years of fighting experience total. It was one of the few times in the last couple of years that we did fight as a unit.

Numenor's strengths in general are (and Knights in particular).

1.) Lot's of bodies (more members = more potentially skilled fighters recruited).

2.) Many veteran fighters. Included in this is the silly amount of immigration that we have had (i.e. people moving to the area to fight with us).

3.) About the only fighting we do is mass combat. We get alot of training at this due to the size of our practices.

4.) Armor when needed. When we need to, we can fully armor about everyone. I can't emphasize how important this is in Belegarth style fighting. Without armor, one hit pretty much takes you out of the fight (leg, arm or body). With full armor, a skilled fighter will get hit 3-5 times before getting neutralized (they will keep exposing areas with unhit armor, hiding areas that have been previously hit). I realize as a pure measure of skill, armor shouldn't matter or be considered. But as a practical matter, it is so important, it is almost impossible to compare fighters in armor to those without. It completely changes how you fight, defend and maneuver. Who is better... the guy that lands 5 (non-killing) shots on his armored opponent or the armored opponent who kills the unarmored guy during his flurry of blows with a single shot to the body)? In my world view it is the guy that walks away not dead. There are many (who I respect) who hold the opposite opinion, but I sincerely hold this view.

5.) Archery - We don't allow re-usable missiles in Numenor, and so our archers (which are many), own and carry alot of arrows. A Numenorean company can have 15 archers / 150 arrows in it.

What many really good up and coming fighters and units have, that the KoN lack is raw speed. Sure we have some fast hands people, but very few silly fast people (i.e. Bakdur). When people compare/rank their units (or friends), this is what they often have in mind. That with no armor, in a small scale skirmish, with no boundaries (as many people fight week in and week out) they say hey.... we will kick these guy's *. That very well might be true. Thing is, on a national battlefield, Numenor doesn't play that game. We emphasize team work, equipment and tactics that lead to success, which I also honestly believe that we achieve.
Kegg

Postby Bodhi » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:54 pm

So yeah, Winter War sound pretty cool. Everyone should read the top of this conversation and decide to go. Wish I could make it. Have fun everyone.
Bodhi,
Final solution to all things needing final solutions.
Bodhi
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: High Spires
Unit: Horde

My thoughts on this stuff

Postby RacheEbf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 am

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh sorry, did I just laugh out loud? I meant to say that yes, Galin is probably the best consitant fighter in this or any of the foam fighting sports. Yes, Numenor has the best tunics, (especially Galin's), but then the Goats have some hot stuff too. And as far as four man, five man, 437 man teams go, numbers to numbers EBF all the way baby, but then again, any team can beat another team on any given Saturday, especially when the rules of the battle change to suit one of the team in particular. Kinda what Kegg was saying up there somewhere. Again though, I gotta say EBF WHOOOO!

Rache' Kallmirsson
EBF WarLord-DD
"It was a Hell of a ride. Maybe you can pick me up on the flip side."
RacheEbf
Grunt
Grunt

Updated the website

Postby Wisp » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:48 pm

Updated the events pages (minor clarifications) and posted a Teams page. If you have a team you want to field and you have a logo, and it's not on the site already, shoot me an email and I'll get you a nifty lil' magic card like the Knights of Numenor have up there.

Still have a few teams not listed on the page, but those will get updated tomorrow. Still have some Florida teams to add. All in all, there will be some serious stick at this event. Get your team together now!

www.nemoralis.net
www.nemoralis.net/teamlogos

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Regional Jugging Practice

Postby Wisp » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Forgot to post this one...

This upcoming Saturday (Jan 14) there will be a Regional Jugging Practice in preperation for Winter War. This practice is for parks / teams that may not be up to snuff on Jugging. If your group is within driving distance of Fort Knox KY, this would be a good practice to make. It is on a Saturday and will be held at Gates Park in E-Town KY (email, PM me for details or directions). Ohio, MO. IL, IN, and KY groups will be here for the practice. The following day, Sunday the 15th, there will be a Kingdom Althing. Thats two big days of regional talent all in one place. We can arrange for crash space if needed for out of towners.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

UPDATE

Postby Wisp » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:27 pm

We've booked a band for the after party for Winter War. The band is Vegas to Verona, a progressive Punk band out of St Louis. You can check out a sample of their music on their myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/vegastoverona

Should be one of the best after parties of the year. And as always... we have beer.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Lord Onyx » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:23 pm

are all the cabins gone?
Onyx Warlord EBF

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other * die for his.. (General Patton)"

Ruining medieval experiences every where with OAKLEYS!
Lord Onyx
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 1991
Realm: Triad

cabins

Postby Wisp » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:22 am

We've got one left. Double bed cabin. 100 for the weekend. Details are on the website.

Will
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Elwrath » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 pm

an EBF/KON team owned at Chaos wars.
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath

Numbers

Postby Wisp » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:44 pm

Any count on who will be representing at Winter War from Belegarth?

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

bel teams?

Postby Wisp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:03 am

We're a week out. How are we looking on Bel Teams?

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Lord Onyx » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:15 am

Better question how many loaner weapons will be there... =)
Onyx Warlord EBF

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other * die for his.. (General Patton)"

Ruining medieval experiences every where with OAKLEYS!
Lord Onyx
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 1991
Realm: Triad

loaners

Postby Wisp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:09 am

We havn't prepared any loaners as Kegg has stated he would be bringing Amt-weapons with him for the Bel Folk. Any word on that? Kegg?

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby graavish » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:56 am

rache said at playin poker and watchin the fight a couple of nights ago that there was open camping for tenting (because i'm cheap) is this true? cause i beleive his exact words were "come on pussies" and i can't really let that go also i read at the top but can no longer remember now did you say that people had to be in teams of 10 cause there aren't enough horde going for me to get in on that and if i hang around the EBF rache always ends up with my money in his pocket so if i've got to be in a team i might as well not show
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Teams of 10

Postby Wisp » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:06 pm

The only thing requiring a ten man team is the circle tourney. There are quite a few companies and teams out there that are not a full 10. They will be taking mercs to fill out numbers. Shouldn't be hard at all to get a slot on a circle tourney team. That event is only around 2-3 hours of the event on Saturday day. The open ditch, ditch-a-thon, war, and pick up battles are all come as you are. Good news also is, except for the war, its all militia style so it's more or less same rules as Belegarth.

Yes, there will be tent camping available. There are also a LOT of players from the local area who are offering crash space at their house as there will be several house parties, lots of crash space on hotel room floors for the hotel parties, and of course, theres the lodge that will be open round the clock starting Friday afternoon. If it gets too chilly, youre welcome to flop there if you don't mind loud music, beer and *.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby graavish » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:49 pm

HoRdE has never and will never mind partying. thx for the info i beleive me a few other HoRdE will make it outwe will prably camp so no need to ask a crash but i'll talk to my driver and see thank you see you this weekend then
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

No prob

Postby Wisp » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Excellent. Please consider me the Belegarth Point Of Contact for this event. Anything you need, come see me. You can ask for me at gate, or around at the event. Someone will know where I'm at. Friday, I'll be on the ditch line all night. Saturday, I'll be helping run this or that until the Circle Tourney. Immediately after the war, you can find me at the Lodge. Saturday night, you can find me drinking with the band.

Wisp
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Upcoming Events