Ultimate Event Camping Guide

What's Coming Up?

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ultimate Event Camping Guide

Postby Crynolyn » Wed May 27, 2009 2:36 pm

I know this is out there somewhere... but it deserves a re-post. Thank you Sorcia !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorcia’s Simple Camping Guide

Spring is on its way and that means the event season is getting close. This guide is a basic approach to camping at a Belegarth event. Disclaimer: This guide is not definitive and “common sense supersedes all loopholes”.

I. Before the event.

Make sure you ask for time off work before the event. A month is good and make sure to remind your boss a couple of weeks before the event. Get directions to the event. The organizers will usually give you directions but it’s usually a good idea to have a map of the area anyway. A simple atlas of the U.S. ($5.00 at Wal-Mart) can help you find a different route at the last minute.

Under 18? You will have to bring a notarized waiver with you to check-in. Your parents have to sign the event waiver in front of a notary so the organizers of the event know your parent(s) actually signed it. Notaries are found at banks, law offices, city halls, currency exchanges, and sometimes even libraries. If there is a fee, it’s typically no more than $5.00. You also need to have a chaperone if you come without a parent. Chaperones have to be over 18 or over 21 depending on the event. It is important that your parents know and trust your chaperone. If your parents are so inclined, they can grant temporary medical authority so your chaperone can seek medical treatment for you. As this varies from state to state, you need to contact a lawyer or medical professional to find out what’s needed. You need to show up at the event with your chaperone and they have to be onsite while you are. If they leave, you leave. If you are expelled from the event, they will need to leave with you.

Supplies. Here’s part of the list of stuff veterans usually bring to events:

Tent (check that all of its parts are there before you leave home) [maybe even set it up in the backyard to be really sure]
Tent stakes (sturdy, 8” or longer)
Mallet
Tarp (big enough to go under or over your entire tent)
Plastic boxes to store your stuff in so it doesn't get wet
Sleeping bag (appropriate for the weather)
Air mattress and air pump (should you desire comfort)
Pillow
Towel (even if showering isn’t an option) (refer to The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy)
Prescription medications (keep in original packaging)
Baby wipes (trust me, they can even strip paint…yes, I’ve tried.)
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, women’s needs, contacts, etc.)
Sunscreen (SPF 30 or better)
Bug spray (trust me, ticks suck…literally)
First aid kit (band-aids, Neosporin, pain killers, tweezers)
Mundane clothing
Garb (bring lots and lots of garb)
Socks (again bring lots and lots)
Underwear (if you’re into that sort of thing)
Cloak (always have a warm cloak, even in summer)
Sturdy shoes and boots
Pouch
Mundane jacket
Set of dry clothes in a bag in the car
Cooler with lots of ice
Cooking utensils (knife, pan, spoon, grill, fuel for grill)
Food (make sure you have plenty of snack foods with you just in case)
Feast gear (plate, utensils, bowl, napkins, mug or goblet)
Can opener (never go camping without a can opener) [and corkscrew if you're into that sort of thing ;) ]
Trash bags
WATER!!! (Bring enough for a gallon a day per person or at least a large jug to fill onsite)
Flashlight
Batteries
Ninja chair (it sucks when you have to sit on the ground in the rain)
Cell phone [ & charger ]
Money
Weapons (check and make repairs before you leave and bring foam and tape for repairs) [Pack weapons very carefully so they don't get crushed. Far too many weapons fail weapons check due to bad packing]
Armor
Cooking Fuel (charcoal, lighter fluid, camp lighter, propane)
Hatchet or ax
Rain Poncho
Sewing Kit
Cigarettes if you smoke [+ extra for the moochers, cloves are a good way to make new friends ]
Spare keys for your car that stay with a trusted friend at the event
[Ear plugs for sleeping around loud neighbors]

Weather is always a factor so you need to be prepared for anything from rain to heat to cold. Check the weather report for the area around the event a few days before you leave and pack appropriately.

Make sure someone in your group knows how to contact your family in case of emergency. If you need help on site find a marshal or an event coordinator. Some events have security that can assist you during the nighttime activities.

II. At the event.

When you arrive, your first stop is Troll. This is check-in and also the information center. As soon as you pull up, park next to Troll and get out. You will need to sign a waiver and a sign-in sheet. If you haven’t pre-registered, you need to pay and then you will receive your event token. This token is your pass to the event and you need to keep it with you at all times. If you receive a parking pass, place it so it’s visible in your car.

There are three rules of ettiquette for cars. Don't honk your horn on site, don't blare loud music of any type and never park in a way that others can't move their cars. These all ruin the experience of the event and the general mood of people nearby.

Now you can drive into the campsite and set up. Find a spot that isn’t already reserved. Some events allow groups of ten who have pre-registered to reserve certain spots. If you’re unsure, ask someone at Troll or an event coordinator. Next, be sure the site you choose is on flat ground and not where rain water might collect. There is nothing worse than your tent becoming flooded when it rains. During warm summer events, it’s also good to camp in the shade so that your tent doesn’t become an oven. Finally, check for toilets and your distance to the fighting field. After you set up your tent, put on garb and start having fun.

Weapons check. You must get every weapon checked prior to fighting at an event. Weapons check is usually held in the morning before fighting. Some shorter events require you to check only once and the longer events every other day. If in doubt, go to weapons check and ask. While there, watch your weapons get checked and retrieve all passed weapons immediately. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find your weapons at the bottom of the pile. Only hang around weapons check if you are getting something checked or are helping the staff. Should a weapon fail, immediately ask why. Checkers see so many weapons that it gets really hard to remember why something failed. If you are an archer, you should get to weapons check early so your arrows can be checked. Arrows take so long that your help is greatly appreciated. Be aware that your bow also gets tested and arrive with it strung and ready to go. Weapon checkers will not string your bow. Keep archery equipment separated and be sure you put them in the right pile. Once weapons check is over, the most important thing to remember is DRINK WATER! If you’re dehydrated or don’t feel well you need to stop fighting and ask for help.

Marshals. Marshals [aka Heralds] are the referees of Belegarth. If they call you dead, don’t argue about it. Take the death and talk to them after the fight. Arguing can get you ejected from the field. Remember, you will be back up and fighting in only a few minutes. If you hear “HOLD!” called, immediately stop moving and drop down to a knee. Keep quiet and wait until the marshals give you instructions. Only call a hold if someone is injured or a safety hazard exists. Some examples are a weapon breaks and the person doesn’t realize it or you’ve been backed into an obstacle with no possibility of avoiding it safely. Don’t call holds if you lose a contact or a weapon flies out of your hand.

After fighting, the nighttime activities begin. There are feasts, gladiator pits, bonfires, and drinking. If you are under 21, we strongly urge you not to drink. If you do and you get out of hand, you can be asked to leave the event. [ And the people who brought you to the event may also be asked to leave. ] For anyone who drinks, I recommend you do so in moderation and drink plenty of water before bed. It’s really difficult for most people to fight with a hangover. I encourage you to walk from camp to camp and meet as many people as possible. When you walk around be sure that you don't shine your flashlight right in the faces of anyone coming towards you. When you arrive at a camp, yell “Hail, camp!” If you don’t get an answer, hail again. If all is quiet, move on to another camp. If there seems to be a lot of activity in a camp you approach, they may not hear you hail. If this is the case, walk up to the fire and immediately make your presence known. When you approach the main fire, you generally don’t need to hail. If you make a fire in your own camp, make sure it’s completely contained within the fire ring or the fire pad. Don’t leave fires unattended. Firewood is sometimes available at the event but if it isn’t, you can always use deadfall. NEVER CUT DOWN LIVING TREES! If there is no usable wood on site, you can buy some from a store in town.

Feast. On the nights that feasts are prepared, I recommend you wear your nicest garb and come early. Bring your own plates, utensils, napkins, and cups as they are not always provided.

III. Pack up and go home.

When you pack up, make sure to clean up your site and leave it like you found it. Take trash to the trash cans and put out any embers that may still be burning. Use the water from your coolers if needed. If you smoke, all your butts need to go in either the fire or the trash. Any left on the ground have to be picked up by the [overworked volunteer] staff. [Please help out the event coordinators whenever possible, it's easy for them to get burned out.] When you get home, take any wet items out of the car immediately to prevent mold. Put away any leftover food and try to get some sleep.

~~~~~~

[I added the stuff in brackets]

Have any other important tips ? Please help add to the thread by posting valid info
Crynolyn
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Oct 1999
Realm: Geek Fight Club
Unit: Dark Angels

Re: Ultimate Event Camping Guide

Postby Jorel » Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Make sure if you are bringing an air mattress that it has no leaks in it, or you have an alternate substance to sleep on. Had to learn this one the hard way at Spring Wars.
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Northlands
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild

Postby Sorcia » Thu May 28, 2009 2:25 pm

No problem. Thanks for posting it again! *smooch*
Sir Sorcia the Matriarch
Knight of Rhun
Clan of the Hydra
Green Lantern
Banner by: Erzebet
Sorcia
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 04 Jan 1992
Realm: No Current Realm
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Wine and wit.

Postby Valas Hune » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Should we get this stickied somewhere if it already is not?
Uruk Nation WAAGH!!!!
I have a rendezvous with death
The Baby Maker
Realm of Stygia
Chieftain of Stygia in the Western Uruk-Hai
Member of the White Skull
Founder of Valas' pub - Putting the orc in horc since Chaos wars 9
VB proud
Valas Hune
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Derian » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 pm

It already is.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Triv2.0 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Cigarettes if you smoke [+ extra for the moochers, cloves are a good way to make new friends ]

Bringing cloves is also great for bartering.
Ravager of the Western Uruk-Hai
Triv2.0
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, but will use what ever to kill my enemies.

Postby Derian » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Triv2.0 wrote:

Not after September.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Nish » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:13 am

Derian wrote:
Triv2.0 wrote:

Not after September.

Because kids love ham-dinner-flavored cigarettes way too much!
**** the boards
~nish
Nish
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2008
Realm: Rhovanian
Favorite Fighting Styles: junk in the trunk

Postby Derian » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:26 am

It's true. Goddamned Big Tobacco.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Wonderful tips and reminders for going to events or just dealing with strangers in general.

As a newcomer to Belegarth, I would like to know if it's forbidden, completely acceptable, or just gauche to use modern camping equipment when at an event?

I'm all for making cool things out of period materials and getting into the role; but it's just cheaper - and warmer - to use the stuff I have.

I appreciate, in advance, your answers.

Semper Fidelis
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Galya » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:05 am

No, it's completely acceptable to use modern camping equipment. Some people do try to convey a more medieval feel, and that's always encouraged. But no one will fault you if you can't afford it. Most people either can't, or simply choose to spend their money on other things for the event.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby VictoriaKye » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:49 am

a super easy (and cheap) way to diguise a modern tent is to go to home depot and buy a large canvas painter's tarp. these are unbleached cotton. use permanent markers or paint to apply your unit or personal symbol to the tarp. then drape it over your tent. tie it town good or it might blow away. quick and easy. and then you don't have to stare at an ugly modern tent. another plus... they can be washed. and you can also buy them with plastic backing so they are totally water proof! have fun!
Kye Victoria
VictoriaKye
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 18 May 2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Freki » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:10 pm

I would have never thought of that Kye, that is a great idea and I think I will do this for beltaine to see how it works out...I have an 8 man tent, so I hope they are big enough... again great Idea
War is hell, Deployment sucks....better bring a helmet
Member of Team Grapple
Initiate of Bladestorm
Warlord of the Gardez Warband
Lvl 2 member of the Medic Guild
Freki
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 14 Oct 2008
Realm: Dur-Demarion
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single blue, sword and board, Spear

Postby Triv2.0 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 am

Cloves are back though they are now listed as little cigars
Ravager of the Western Uruk-Hai
Triv2.0
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, but will use what ever to kill my enemies.

Postby Bells » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:34 pm

good list to follow on... just keep in mind that if you don't want to be up at the crack of dawn to get all your crap packed keep it simple, only take what you need.
" I am not eccentric, I am just more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel in a pool of catfish"
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: aquilonia
Unit: Militis Mortis
Favorite Fighting Styles: florentine
Single Blue
Red

Postby Not Relevant » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 pm

:idea:
Last edited by Not Relevant on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Relevant
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 08 Aug 2010
Realm: ATD

Postby PhotoJoe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Patchiz of Clew wrote:
Kyevic wrote:Something posted Sun Apr 11, 2010
A reply posted Sun Mar 18, 2012

Better late than never?
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: None now
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swinging sticks & getting hit...lots

Postby Not Relevant » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 pm

:idea:
Not Relevant
Toadie
Toadie