Construction Notice for I-80 at Mississippi River

What's Coming Up?

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Construction Notice for I-80 at Mississippi River

Postby telanar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:47 pm

FYI for those who use I-80 to cross the Mississippi. I-280 should remain open, as should I-74, allowing people to cross the river at the Quad Cities. I will post if I become aware of any closures on those bridges.

The 1-80 bridge rebuild project is expected to begin April 5, 2010 with the
eastbound lanes of I-80 (coming into Illinois) closed to traffic so work can
begin on the eastbound half of the bridge. There will be one available lane of traffic heading west.

The repair plan requires the removal of sections of the bridge deck in order to replace 74 of the floor beams. In addition, repairs will also include replacement of bridge expansion and relief joints. This action will require closing both lanes on half of the structure. Working on an expedited schedule, with significant contract incentives and disincentives for the contractors rebuilding the bridge, this first phase of the bridge is targeted for completion by mid July. At that time, the bridge would be re-opened to two-way, head to head traffic using the two lanes on the repaired eastbound side of the structure. The contractor would then make repairs to the westbound half of the bridge with a schedule date of November 1, 2010 to have the bridge open for all four lanes of traffic.

Temporary intermittent lane reductions will be utilized in the spring of
2011 for finish work such as permanent barrier replacement and permanent
pavement striping. At least one lane in each direction will be maintained at all times during the intermittent lane closures.
telanar
Bandit
Bandit

Realm: Beornve
Unit: Children of Nidhogr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Construction Notice for I-80 at Mississippi River

Postby Crynolyn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:22 am

Thanks for the heads up ! I'll be sure to take an alternate route
Crynolyn
Veteran
Veteran