Found: Awesome New Event Site!

What's Coming Up?

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Found: Awesome New Event Site!

Postby Xipher » Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 pm

The Frozen North hosted Melcaorme XI at a new site this year and it was the best event site I have ever been to. Until very recently it was the Winnebego Scout Reserve, but the Boy Scouts have just sold it to Floyd County (Iowa). As a former Boy Scout camp, it is perfectly set up to handle events with large numbers of campers.

A brief run down of the amienities are:
-A large fighting field located smack in the middle of the site.
-Very nice private camp sites with cabins, fire rings, and picnic pavillions.
-Modern shower/restroom facilities located directly on the fighting field, in the middle of the campground.
-A large indoor dining hall with a commercial grade kitchen.
-A variety of themed camp sites, including (I **** you not): Hobbit Town. Yes, you can sleep in Hobbit holes.
-A large central fire/ampitheater area with a large fire pit and stadium style seating.
-Good driving access to all the camp sites.
-It is large enough to handle our largest event of the year easily.
-There are enough cabins, pavilions, and dining shelters to keep EVERYONE dry during wet weather.

For all of the pros, there are a couple cons. The biggest one is that, yes, it is in Iowa (gasp!). It is located near the town of Marble Rock, Iowa in Floyd County. It is about 4 hours from Madison, 5 hours from Bloomington & DeKalb, 6 hours from Champaign, and 27 hours from Bend.

The other possible downside is that it just became a county park and they may eventually decide to change some the features that make it such a great location for us. It is my strong recommendation that if we think we might want to hold one of our larger events there, that we write to the county soon and indicate our interest. They have a survey up on their website right now soliciting opinions on what the best use for the property might be. I think if Belegarth and other organizations that might have a use for a similarly equipped campground wrote to them to explain our interest, we might stand a chance of them preserving some of the features that make it so attractive. Please take a look at some photos of the site and talk to your realm mates about how far you would be willing to drive for a great event at a really stellar site.

Link to a photo album of the park on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/? ... 041&type=3

Link to the survey on the Floyd County Conservation site about the future of the park (Tosanak Survey, top of page): http://www.fossilcenter.com/

Please look over the photo album and let me know what you think! I know many Illinois fighters are not accustomed to traveling so far for an event, but the site really is the best site I have ever been to for a Belegarth event, and that is worth a little time in the car!
Xipher
Grow the game.
Xipher
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1999
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Freeborn

Re: Found: Awesome New Event Site!

Postby Ghyll » Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Really guys, this is a fantastic site. In a nutshell, here are the best things I have to say about it:

-At any given campsite, you are always no more than a five minute walk to flush toilets and modern showers.

-The fighting field is centrally located, so there aren't any "oh god I hope I don't get stuck in THAT campsite!" campsites.

-With dozens of cabins, a picnic pavilion at every campsite, and a spacious, modern dining hall, any given event held at this campground will stand up much better to getting "rained out" than at competitor campgrounds. No more getting stuck on soggy ninja chairs underneath a drippy canopy -- no matter WHERE your campsite is!

Seriously, this campground is a fantastic find. Please, take a few minutes to look through Xipher's photo album and consider what an opportunity we've been presented with.
Ghyll
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1999
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword 'n Board

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Thu May 23, 2013 7:50 am

I already wrote about how great I think the site is. Thank you Xipher for putting up photos of the site. Seriously people have your event here.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

This place looks great. Everyone else has to drive to go to great events, so I think us Illinoisans can get over it. Nice find!
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Sun May 26, 2013 12:40 am

Thurat wrote:This place looks great. Everyone else has to drive to go to great events, so I think us Illinoisans can get over it. Nice find!

I think you underestimate the * of Illinois Belegarth when it comes to driving.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Huma » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Xipher wrote:and 27 hours from Bend.

Ok I found that really really hilarious. Props for the shout-out.
Runner of Western Wars
Member of the Order of the Raised Goblet
Check PLUS!
Huma
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst

Return to Upcoming Events