Relatively New Fighter! Garb questions

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Relatively New Fighter! Garb questions

Postby MelonDerg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 am

Hello!

So, while I might be new to Belegarth, I'm not necessarily new to this style of combat. I am more familiar with sage combat and what little Kendo I remember.

So... As much as my group doesn't enforce the garb rule very much, I still would love to get into the spirit of things. But I am still confused on good ways to get garb gear. For a start, I'm a college student, a freshman, so money isn't exactly gushing from my pockets. Most people just seem to say "Just make some" But my clothes making skills are lacking. [s]last time I tried I ended up in ER[/s] Does anyone have any good tips for getting into that?

One question is... View on Harem pants as a part of garb. If you don't know what those are look them up. Material and style are definitely right, but they are patterned (my pairs not brightly, but black and white).
MelonDerg
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Aug 2018
Realm: Mines of Moria
Unit: Mines of Moria
Favorite Fighting Styles: Kendo Style, Sword and Board, Staff

Re: Relatively New Fighter! Garb questions

Postby Akroth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:01 am

Do you have a sewing machine, or access to one? Even just creating a basic tabard and adding a sash does a lot in terms of looking like decent garb.

If you want to avoid sewing, taking an oversize plain earth-tone shirt made of heavy fabric (get one from a thrift shop), chopping off the hems, and adding some leather/rope stitching to the front can give a pretty good look for basic tunic without blowing the budget or taking too much skill.

Re Harem Pants, they're fine as garb as long as the pattern isn't blatantly modern.

On a budget, you can get Broadcloth for $3 per yard or less. Probably cheaper if you can find it on clearance. A couple of yards of fabric will get you a tabard. Alternatively, ask around in your realm. People often have old garb or fabrics they're not using anymore and are willing to sell for cheap (or free).

Some tutorials here.
http://geddon.org/Garb_Compendium
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Re: Relatively New Fighter! Garb questions

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

The Belegarth Starter Kit has some great tutorials for different types of garb. I'd say as long as it doesn't use blatantly modern prints you should be fine using print fabrics.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to New Members