Armor-ish Garb

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Armor-ish Garb

Postby Alk Coden » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:58 pm

Hey guys.

I think that my days of newb questions are coming to a close, but I got a few more yet. Let me go ahead and thank you for all the help though, I have posted 4-5 different questions and you guys have helped out with all. Thanks a ton.

On to the last question.

I wasn't able to make any real armor. Think, armor worthy leather is near impossilbe to find in my neck of the woods, and I couldn't find the stuff I needed. Bummer, because I was really hoping to get that ever helpful armor bonus. Anyways, I do have some pretty sweet looking look-alike armor. It looks convencing, its the kind of thing you would use for a stage or historical kinda scenario. I know that I couldn't pass it as real armor and get bonuses, and I don't really care at this point, but would it be against the rules to wear it as part of my garb? Like I said I know it won't cound as armor, but if it looks authentic then I don't see how it could be so different than fancy garb. Anyway, the rule book didn't seem to give me a anwser, so I come to you guys. Thanks in advance.

CYA AT WINTER WAR!!![/i]
Alk Coden

Legatus of the Aquilla Legion

http://theeasternlegion.googlepages.com/home

"Its not just a way of life, its a sport!"
Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Postby Xooyan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:53 pm

There's no rule against wearing something that looks like armor as long as you don't treat it like armor. It may confuse a few fighters, but as long as it doesn't change the way you accept hits, there is no rules issue with you wearing it on or off the field.
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Genetically Enhanced Life Form and proud of it
Xooyan

Postby Alk Coden » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Thats what I wanted to hear. Awesome.

You may say its newbish, but I think it looks pretty kewl! I'll have it a WW.

Cya then!
Alk Coden

Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Postby kohntre » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:07 am

at least you are not doing the sleeveless t-shirts and pocket sweatpants.
kohntre
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Teej » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:10 am

kohntre wrote:at least you are not doing the sleeveless t-shirts and pocket sweatpants.

lol I bet that does get annoying, how common is that at events? I'll let my peeps practice in that since it's going to be hot again soon in FL, but they'll be garbed up good before they go to any event.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Teej » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:10 am

Alk Coden wrote:I'll have it a WW.

Cya then!

I'll cya there bud, maybe we can do some 1 on 1 noob duels.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Zi'gor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 am

if you are still wanting to make armor you can do one of two things at this point, you can find all the things you need for leather armor at www.tandyleather.com, they will normaly ship your order out in a day, you want to buy their saddle skirting you can find here http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?dept=398 however building leather armor can be expensive. Your other option would be to make brigidian(sp) there are a bunch of ways you can do that and if you ask on the armor forum I am sure there is someone who is familiar with how to make it at without busting your bank account.
Trusted Warrior to Spike
Big Papa Oberon
In Marjack's name we pray, Horde Win!
Official Chimney of Khazad Dum
Zi'gor
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Alk Coden » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:12 pm

at least you are not doing the sleeveless t-shirts and pocket sweatpants.

Lol... actually most of the pants I have are the sweatpants with the elastic removed like the beginner guide sugguested. I do have a pair or two of martial arts pants. No sleevless Tshirts :D though, I was able to find real a tunic or two, I ended up making the others. The ones I made were mostly the goodwill style design, where you buy a shirt, remove the modern looking elements and lace up the collar I think they look just fine... Hopefully no one will be getting down my back since this is my first event.

As for the armor, its a pretty simple one peice suit I designed to be used for a drama production. Its made pretty thick black imatation leather. Its a one piece torso, with a roman/greek style warskirt. I am trying to decide if I should just leave it simple, or rivet it up and give it a studded syle look. I am probably just gonna go simple for this event. Anyway, the stuff actually does take allot of the sting out of hits, so thats something. Anyway, I'll take it along. no reason not to right?
Alk Coden

Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Postby Alk Coden » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Oh BTW

Ty TeeDge. I am looking forward to it. Some 1 vs 1 sounds good to me, since I am sure we will need the practice :D
Alk Coden

Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Postby Barahir Ingem » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:53 pm

Alk Coden wrote:I am trying to decide if I should just leave it simple, or rivet it up and give it a studded syle look.

If you go to the trouble of rivetting, have the rivets hold some armor-grade material inside, and you'll have a legal brig.
B. of E.U.
Barahir Ingem
Langdan uin Forod

barahir@bigfoot.com
Barahir Ingem
Thug
Thug

Postby Alk Coden » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:12 pm

Woaaa woa

Wait a sec. Your saying that if I rivited some steel disc into the imatation leather (Giving a ringmail kinda look) at the legal intervals, it would count as armor? Even though the base is fake leather??? Please confirm.

*Suspense...*
Alk Coden

Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Postby Chicken » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Yes, the base material doesn't matter if it's something else that's making it count as legal armor.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Alk Coden » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:24 pm

OMW yes!

Chicken and Barahir. You two are the best men in Belegarth. Ty for the info

I Ring studded my armor, and it looks AWESOME. Whats even better is I will get a bonus for it. Ty a ton guys.
Alk Coden

Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Postby Alk Coden » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:54 pm

Alrighty I finished it today. I got some rivets, and some steel washers that were about 16G in thickness. I riveted them to the armor at the required 1/2 inch intervals. Its covering almost the entire front of the armor so its at least 2/3s of coverage (on the front.) That sound like it will do it?
Alk Coden

Alk Coden
Underling
Underling

Return to New Members