Questions on a weapon

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Questions on a weapon

Postby Jordag » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:24 am

I was wondring if anyone could give me some advice on which sword would be better for someone about 6 ft. tall, a 5 foot red sword, or a 4 ft. red sword? ?:(
Jordag
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Esalvapar » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 am

I would go for the 5' red.
Make use out of that extra reach.
It would be highly dependent on your fighting style, though.
If you have a few weapons to give it a try with, see what works better for you.
Esalvapar
Underling
Underling

Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Carrion Crusade
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword or Flail and Board

Postby Dragon of Fire » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:43 am

it really doesnt matter how tall you are or how tall your sword is, reds are pretty much pointless, at least thats my point of view. at 6 foot, about my height, i'd go for a 4 foot, but it all depends on the person, what they weigh, how strong they are, etc, etc. because in my experience, the bigger you are, in weight and height, the better you'll be at wielding a red.

say you're 6 foot, 150 lbs. i would say go for a 4 foot red, or a blue, unless you're pretty strong. if you're bigger, it helps because then you can put your weight behind your swings.

general rule, dont make a sword taller than you, it wont work. polearms are fine, but look at the 10 foot red and youll see how hard it is to use something as big or bigger than you.
half elf rogue

Just tell your father you couldn't avenge his death because you were too busy getting stoned. He'll understand. |N|I|N|J|A|S|My Anti-Drug
Dragon of Fire
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Chicken » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:00 am

Red swords are overrated by new fighters and underrated by experienced fighters. They're harder to learn than new people think, but can be used quite effectively if you actually know what you're doing. Find someone who does and have them teach you - most experienced, dedicated red-sword fighters are happy to have more people out there showing that their weapon isn't just for n00bs.

Weapon lengths is very much a matter of trial and error, personal preference and fighting style. Personally, I would say to err on the longer side (5'). With a 4' red you have to have very fast arms, good footwork, and good pre-emptive parrying because you don't actually have that much reach on people - while you may be in range for a kill shot well before they are, your arms are very much in range, and a one-armed red fighter against a shieldman is in pretty dire straits. A buckler can help a lot with that.

I'd say see if you can borrow someone's red, fight with it a while, have someone who knows what they're talking about show you the ropes, and then see how you feel. If that's not an option, go for 5'+ - it's a lot easier to make a long sword shorter than a short sword longer ;).

Oh, and don't forget the stabbing tip. Stabbing tips on reds are a wonderful thing indeed... .
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Jordag » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll take both of what U gave me. I bought some constuction materials yesterday and i think ill make one 4' and one 5' to see which I like best.

And I have an Idea of how to fight with a two handed sword, but thanks for the advice, Id been fighting with plastic weapons and deffinitly know how to stay out of the way though I do need more practice, but thank U all for the advice! it helped
Jordag
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Borric » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Just to add to the discussion.

I disagree with Dragon Knight completely. Red Swords are anything but pointless. While it is true that in the hands of an inexperienced fighter it is a major liability, with some training and experience, you can be a powerhouse. Throughout the year, if you are fortunate a Belegarth fighter is fighting in doors and outdoors. While indoors (with definitive boundaries) red weapons, polearms, and missle weapons rule the day. While outside, wider fields decrease the confrontational effect of red weapons, but the threat is still there via flankers.

Another positive use for red weapons is to beef up your sword and board skill. My sword and board was getting a little stagnant, and I wanted to break my habits with some red sword action. This conferred a multitude of benefits:
1. I wore a buckler, so my guard, so when blocking arrows, I would have to try harder.
2. Blocking with a red sword can sometimes be pretty difficult, but is a necessity. When I picked up my blue sword, it was a lot easier to parry and punch block.
3. The weight of the red, as well as the swinging built up muscle memory and strength, so when I went back to blue sword, I was swinging harder and faster.
4. Red sword forces good mobility and speed. I was able to get a little quicker with my attacks.

As for size of weapons, that depends on how big you are. A 5 foot is a good average size. 4' might be a little too short for me. I use a 6 foot, and I love the range I can get with it, especially when attacking a shield line.

Hope that helps.
Borric the Just
Knight of Numenor
Numenorian Ambassador to Muxlovia
Borric
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 21 Aug 2002
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear and Glaive
Archery

Postby Jordag » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:24 pm

U say that U use a 6' sword! Just for information how tall are U :?:
Jordag
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Borric » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:33 pm

5"10ish. The blade itself is about 4 foot 3/4/ 5 foot long, and the hilt is about another foot long. When i stand it up on its tip, it goes to the top of my head.

I got it for a good deal, started using it, and I love the * thing. It's in the shop though. The tip blows out about every 14 days worth of fighting. (Its the range attack that it does the most damage.
Borric the Just
Knight of Numenor
Numenorian Ambassador to Muxlovia
Borric
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 21 Aug 2002
Spear and Glaive
Archery

Postby Jordag » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Interesting, sounds powerful, with the potential for being clumsy. Ahh. what do I know. Different things work different for different people.

I have reached my decision! I will make 2 swords, one 3' blade and a 1' handle, one 4' blade and 1' handle. I will use them both and find which works best for me.

Thanks to all of U for the help! :)
Jordag
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:05 pm

well, most of the time (unless there is a signifigant skill gap) a sheildman will beat a red user.

but, if used correctly (i.e. paired with a sheildman) then reds can be VERY effective.

in my experience, a red sword isn't the best way to go with a red though. it's way to easy to get rushed

if i were you, i'd go with a glaive and have a backstrap round and a sword incase someone rushed you.
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar

Postby Jordag » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:40 pm

i don't know about glaves though, I'd perfer a red sword and let the speed come with time. In my skirmises I have also found that I am skilled in jumping out of the way so I guess that my weapon of coise will come with time 8)
Jordag
Recruit
Recruit

Postby apollyon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:54 pm

its all preference if your good with a red then there is the potential to beat every combonation of weapon same with all others it doesnt matter what you wield but who wields it.....there is no "dont use this one it sucks..."
"when you get to heaven it won't matter what you looked like, but who you looked like." let it marinate you'll get it!!
apollyon
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 pm

anything over 6 feet should be a glaive.

also the reason many red swords are rushed is how a person holds it. a sword you keep close to your body and thus have to swing it to score a hit. Ussually you will only have 1 swing which will be absorbed by the shield 95% of the time. And while you swung you opened up your body to an attack, thus killing you.

a Glaive points outward and a rusher must rush into it to get to you giving you time for a stab, before grabing your 2nd or 3rd weapon (in my case it depends on how close the rusher wants to get, graple and I have my dagger(s), sword length, I have my blue)

One tip: if someone sheild rushes you aim for their weapon leg and back pedal fast or side step into their sheild. Example: I swing for the right leg because the rusher has his tower shield nearly covering his front and left arm and sword in his right arm. To block your shot will require a VERY strong arm or to move the shield to the right thus blocking any good shot he could throw at you and giving him 1 shield hit. In the end he will keep pressing you with a now half broken shield or you will have legged the guy and he will hobbel after you.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:47 pm

or, let your buddie's leg him and then (since he won't be as manuverable) you break his sheild and take him out.

either way, fighting legged people is good when you have a red.
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Grey
Brute
Brute

Postby Sleeper » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:13 pm

Go with the five footer, I fight with a wide * 6'5 redsword, just because of how * fun it is to use, but it will take you forever to get good with them, took me like 5 months to become a little decent with them.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby Jordag » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:13 am

All of your advice is so helpful. I have decide to go with a 5' sword though about the stabbing tip, does anyone have an easier way to make one other than using open cell foam ( I can't find any at my local stores). If U have any ideas on how I could do this please give me as much information as U can. I'm getting ready to start the creation of my weapon but just don't know how to make a stabing tip. And again, thank U all. :D
Jordag
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Chicken » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:44 am

Do you have a walmart there? Then you've got a source for open cell. Look in the toy section and find a poof football - it's made out of a great, very high-density, stiff open cell foam.
If you wanted a softer open cell, if you go to the fabric section they'll have bags of square foam seat cushions - that's also open cell, though it's so soft it's hard to use.

The best stabbing tip design I've seen for swords is Kyrian's, using a can cozy. He'd have to explain it... .
Wikified
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:52 pm

If your a new foam smith, I just wouldn't put a stabby on there. It's usually not a useful as you'd think (on a shorter red) and is very hard to construct in a way that won't break down in 2 weeks.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Kyrian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:50 pm

"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Faolan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah, Sir Misti killed two shieldmen at Midsummer Slaughter with a red sword.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Sleeper » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:55 pm

But did he do it at the same time?
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Postby debuenzo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:16 am

Sleeper2006 wrote:But did he do it at the same time?

she*
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby savetuba » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 am

Wonder if this could be adapted for a glaive/spear...
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Arkin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:28 am

Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:49 pm

Sleeper2006 wrote:But did he do it at the same time?

they were both fighting her at the same time... and she may have only armed one, but i know she killed the first one.
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Grey
Brute
Brute

Postby Chicken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:40 pm

savetuba wrote:

Wonder if this could be adapted for a glaive/spear...

I'm actually working on something similar for a spear which'll have about a 3" wide profile. I just need to get my hands on an army surplus camping pad. It's evil.
Wikified
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Sleeper » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:32 pm

Amazing!!! How big was the redsword?
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Postby Bothvar » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:43 am

A two-handed four-foot+ red sword can be awesome if you balance it well; put some weight in the haft to counter-balance the blade. I, personally think, to build such a weapon without a stabbing tip is STUPID; I mean, why not have that extra advantage? I've got one sleeper has used & I believe he quite enjoyed it!
Luck in battle
-Viking proverb
Bothvar
Underling
Underling

Postby Sleeper » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:13 am

Hell yeah, one of the most superb weapons I have ever used, though it was a bit small for my tastes it still was alot better than the monsters I was using, though not quite as fun.
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Postby Grey » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:45 pm

Sleeper2006 wrote:Amazing!!! How big was the redsword?

i'm not sure exactly... i think it was one of edhellen's though.
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Grey
Brute
Brute

Return to New Members