Belegarth as a School Club

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Belegarth as a School Club

Postby Dralin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Recently my friends and I began talking to our school's athletic director to establish Belegarth as a school club. The administration is so far being very helpful to us, but I still have a few questions and clarifications which I felt you all would be able to help with:
1) We will be using Belegarth waivers, does this mean we need to be a realm acknowledged by BMCS for the waivers to hold 'legal power'?
2) Assuming we need to create a realm, how do we go about doing so and becoming officially recognized so our waivers can hold power. How long does the process take?
3) In the requirements for the club constitution the statement "An assurance that the community club has its own liability insurance coverage. The school district will not assume any liability for community club activities." will this be covered under our waivers, or will we need to get insurance of some sort? (If we need to get insurance, we're pretty much dead in the water)

Thanks for your help!
Dralin
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Belegarth as a School Club

Postby No'Vak » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Waivers are never a guarantee you can't get sued. Just a roadblock.

BMCS currently does not provide liability insurance to individual realms, it would be up to you or the school to work on that. Someone should be a long shortly to go into more detail.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Bain » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Dralin wrote: "An assurance that the community club has its own liability insurance coverage. The school district will not assume any liability for community club activities." will this be covered under our waivers, or will we need to get insurance of some sort? (If we need to get insurance, we're pretty much dead in the water)

Thanks for your help!

This quote from the school states that anything that should happen from the community side of Belegarth is not covered by the liability insurance of the school. I'm pretty sure you'll have to talk to somebody in the Human Resources division to discuss whether or not you are required to get liability insurance, or if the community waiver is adequate legal protection.
Bain
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Sep 2011
Realm: Asphodel
Favorite Fighting Styles: two-hander

Postby Thorondor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:12 pm

http://www.geddon.org/Starting_a_Realm

This wiki page should help you with the starting of a realm part of your questions. :-)
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

If worst comes to worse, you can practice in a local park near campus and still use campus to recruit (to avoid an insurance requirement). Try coordinating with other like-minded student groups to see if they can help you in some way (martial arts, RPG-gaming, anime, ect). For example, I let some kendo-type club that wasn't official yet hand out fliers at our club fair booth so they could get enough members to officially register. Maybe someone would do the same for you if you needed it.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Bain » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:If worst comes to worse, you can practice in a local park near campus and still use campus to recruit (to avoid an insurance requirement). Try coordinating with other like-minded student groups to see if they can help you in some way (martial arts, RPG-gaming, anime, ect). For example, I let some kendo-type club that wasn't official yet hand out fliers at our club fair booth so they could get enough members to officially register. Maybe someone would do the same for you if you needed it.

If this is who i think it is from my realm they were thinking of setting up a Belegarth club with the college, which would give a chance at funding from the college itself. The college would support the club via matching each $250.00 earned from club fund raisers.
Bain
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Sep 2011
Realm: Asphodel
Favorite Fighting Styles: two-hander

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:28 pm

I hope that works out and everything goes well. Not all colleges and universities provide that much support. Unfortunately, a requirement for insurance would probably make that level of support meaningless after factoring in the costs of insuring the group. I hope the group will not have this requirement, but if it does, the interested group can still use the recruiting power of the school by using the advice I posted above.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Acorn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

The University of Oregon has bel as a school club. It is funded with $400.00 annually for events and equipment from student funds and also is still open to the public. Rocca, Timid, Wolfe and I had to do some VERY tricky writing to make that happen. I can give you a copy of the contract and also put you in contact with the current school rep if that would help. And Rocca and I are both available to answer questions if you have any too.

The site is here btw: http://pages.uoregon.edu/bmcsuo/About%20Us.html

I haven't updated it in a while cause i'm out of state now and i don't have of campus permissions. But we'll fix that soon.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Return to New Members