Air travel with gear

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Air travel with gear

Postby Ambrrose » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi I am curious if anyone has been on an airplane with Bel gear? I'm flying home to San Diego from Salt lake for Christmas and I want to bring my gear so that I can make Battle For The Ring at UC Irvine. Is there any sort of procedure for checking on swords as carry on items? And getting my shield home will be more of a problem haha, possibly mail it? Thoughts? Thank you to anyone who has advice. Much appreciated.

Ambrose
Ambrrose
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 30 Sep 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Air travel with gear

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:25 am

Contact Kyrax, he knows all the ins & outs of flying with gear.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Rasheab » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 am

How large is your shield? I've taken my buckler on the plane in my carry-on, and Dyre was able to carry her shield on as her "personal item" (since it fit within the max item dimensions).

I take it your swords are to long to fit in your ship through bag? If so, call the airlines directly and ask about their carry-on policy. There is a small closet on the plane where the flight attendants can stow things like canes. For example, Alaska Airlines (as an example) allows fishing poles to be a carry on.
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Spork » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I've flown with my gear a few times, but only once as a carry on. I had a new 28" Edhellen I bought at an Okfest a few years ago and they didn't mind. I use a lacrosse bag to carry my swords/armor/garb and when I check them, they're always curious at the front desk, but I've never had a problem. They seem to go through it every time as well and you'll end up with that a piece of paper from the TSA saying they searched it, nothing's ever came up missing. (Not that anyone wants to steal foam swords anyways.)

I always picture that I'll be sitting next to the window and look out and see people fighting with my swords in orange vests, but it hasn't happened yet.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09 am

If you have longer weapons a ski bag might suffice as well. I would advise asking if there is a shield that you can borrow or be able to mail out your stuff to someone.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42 am

Lame advice is lame. 3 words, construction garbage bags. As long as your shield isn't stupid big you can fit all your gear and your shield in 1 bag, and fly with it all. It's going to be under weight. It will, however, have to be checked, not a carry on. But that's the price you pay for being a high flying sword fighter.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Kyrian » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 pm

How much are you prepared to spend to shipping or traveling with oversized bags? I've been using this:

to haul my gear to practices. It's nice because we can put it in the van and not worry about crushing the weapons or arrows inside. You could also use it to ship non-shield gear but be prepared to pay since it qualifies as an oversized bag.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to New Members