Pro-Tips: Common Errors

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Pro-Tips: Common Errors

Postby Yaga Malark » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:22 pm

As advice from vets to newer fighters, what are the main mistakes that greenhorns make? What could they do to work on their shieldwork? Footwork? Shot placement?
~There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.~
Yaga Malark
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: DGMA
Favorite Fighting Styles: Riot Breaker

Re: Pro-Tips: Common Errors

Postby Vak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Don't forget to have fun.
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Hakan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 pm

No Vak, No one has fun.

(Always have fun, kids!)
Numenorean & Stygian Expatriate
Rules Clarification and Rewrite Committee Contributor
Former President of BMCS {2020 - 2022}
Artificers Guild Mentor {Focus: Foamsmithing}
Order of the Raised Goblet
President of Rath
Hakan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Snark
Pronouns: He/They

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Don't forget learning how to take hits is also a learned skill. Expectation dictates perception. Just because you didn't feel it, doesn't mean it didn't happen, and learning the timing of multiple hits or being tuned to what is a good hit has to be learned over time. Good honor is developed when you know that hit taking is learned.

and HAVE FUN!
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Azgarehta » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Here's how I train our new people, and take this with a grain of salt as I'm just regurgitating what I see on the Internet, videos, and hear from other fighters and I'm nowhere near a great swordfighter (I'm a spearman), but enough of a step up from newbies to give them these tips:

These are also with single blue sword. It's the simplest way to teach someone the absolute basics without complicating it.

1. A fighter is built from the Ground up. Teach them stance first, how to move their feet, how to dodge leg shots, keep their feet light and not planted. This prevents them from ducking to block leg shots with their shield (and avoiding getting whacked in the head a lot), leaning down (to reach for a low sword block and also getting whacked in the head yet again), and gets their head out of a danger area where their head is near shields, knees, and other harmful objects on the battlefield. Heads should be at head level, not arm, shield and sword level.

2. Moving on from that, show them how to block from the hips. Throw some shots at them and let them fly out their block way beyond their body (most newbies try to slash at your sword with theirs to block. Silly movies they've been watching.) Show them how their blocks create openings. Then give them a tighter block and throw shots at it. They'll see that they don't even have to move to block shots. Then have them rotate their hips into the blocks to block a wider range of shots. This also prevents leaning into blocks, blocking low, etc, etc. (And getting their heads in the "Danger Zone")

3. Once they can be mobile and block. I have them punch me in the arm. This is to show them how to throw a proper shot. Most newbies just swing the sword around like a conductors baton, making circles in the air that don't have any power. After they punch me, I show them how to hold the sword and "punch" out with it to make a percussive shot. This prevents some head shots from "baton waving" and wild swinging, and starts them down the path to good fighting habits.

This all takes about 15 minutes, but you're heading off a good deal of safety issues, both for the fighter, and for the rest of your realm.

(Also, note that this is a guide for helping complete first time newbies, not for training super awesome fighters)
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 am

Not being afraid to die. One of the hardest things to overcome, but will improve your fighting 100 fold.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Sir Par » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:03 pm

WHO THE HELL IS HAVING FUN ON MY WATCH????

There are a lot of mistakes that new fighters make. They're new so thats to be expected. The biggest mistake made WITH new people is forgetting that you were once new, and to have patience with new people when trying to train them.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Acorn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:04 am

To expand on Azgarehta's tips for learning/teaching a new fighter:

Something to do it you have more than 1 newb, say two or three, is give them a quick step-through of the basic high/low shots for fighting in pairs and encourage them to work as a team. They will be more prone to be aggressive, learn teamwork fighting right from the start (which is a good way to combat ego), and also increase their chances of doing well and actually killing someone by working together, which encourages them to stay/come back.

And Vets, try and learn their names. It's hard as all get out to remember them all, I know, but when you recognize someone it helps with everything from fighting to friendship.

Tip for new fighters:

Don't go into a conflict expecting to be beat; Attitude is half the battle. If you think you are going to loose, you are. You have to remember that just as you expect good shots from more experienced fighters, the other fighter expects nothing from you, and this gives you an advantage.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am

Find out their level of commitment. Focus on the positive rather then the negative. Focus on their needs, not your own. Don't get bogged down with the details, let them experience them. Don't come on too strong; wait for them to come to you for advice. Block-strike and ABA drills are essential; punish them with the same strike until they stick the block, then start feinting. Figure out what best works for them.
I have two newbs I've been teaching a lot lately and it's been one of the most rewarding things you can do in this sport.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Furple » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I have a set of tips for how to kill newbies. Newbies could learn not to do these things to avoid being killed.

1) [leg swing]: every new fighter with a shield is gonna swing for the leg out front. When they do they're gonna lean in and expose their arm and back. That makes them dead even if they get the shot, which against most vets they won't. If they want to counter this they need to learn to swing WITHOUT leaning forward. They also need to learn how to not telegraph their shots by looking where they're going to swing first, and then taking a giant backswing before throwing the shot. A good fighter will simply throw the shot from their ready position without winding up. This means your opponent doesn't have time to react.

2) [chickenwing]: I take that term from someone else, but oh man, so true. Newbs will leave their arm expose relative to the person they're fighting <! (< = arm ! = sword), which makes it an easy target. To correct the person need only keep the sword in front of their arm. You do this by moving the pommel to in front of the rest of your arm, not by pulling your elbow in.

2) [overblocking]: most newbs when they go to do anything make exaggerated movements that only slow them down and telegraph their shots. This is especially true when blocking. Newbs will block wildly and, while not only being ineffective for a block also exposes the rest of their body and prevents them from effectively reacting to additional swings, and also stops them from swinging well because their weapon is so far away from their body. To fix this they need to learn how to make minute movements to block effectively. That's mostly covered under block with their hips below. Effectively you can block most shots relative to your sword by moving it an inch or two if it's in the right position. I fight florentine and I regularly one arm block red swings. It's just a matter of properly leveraging the rest of your body to do so. (I don't recommend that new fighters try that as you'll wreck your wrist if you mess up >.<).

Finally some things about attitude.
1) Show no fear. You may have a chance against a fighter you think is better then you but because you freeze up out of fear of them you lose to them always. Don't have that fear. Everyone can die. If you're going to die, then go out swinging.

2) Seek death. The way you get better is by fighting the people who can kill you, because they know something you don't (usually) more often then because they're faster or stronger then you are. If you want to improve fight them to learn what they know, learn how to counter it, and in the future you'll have a much better shot against anyone with a similar style.

+1 what Azgarehta said. The only thing I'd add after my comment below is teaching them to do a wrap shot. Once they've got those things it's all the basics they need to get started. I've been fighting for (going on) 9 years and I've been training people for 7, so there are lots of other things you can show people, but not until they've learned all of this stuff first.

Azgarehta wrote:Here's how I train our new people, and take this with a grain of salt as I'm just regurgitating what I see on the Internet, videos, and hear from other fighters and I'm nowhere near a great swordfighter (I'm a spearman), but enough of a step up from newbies to give them these tips:

These are also with single blue sword. It's the simplest way to teach someone the absolute basics without complicating it.

1. A fighter is built from the Ground up. Teach them stance first, how to move their feet, how to dodge leg shots, keep their feet light and not planted. This prevents them from ducking to block leg shots with their shield (and avoiding getting whacked in the head a lot), leaning down (to reach for a low sword block and also getting whacked in the head yet again), and gets their head out of a danger area where their head is near shields, knees, and other harmful objects on the battlefield. Heads should be at head level, not arm, shield and sword level.

2. Moving on from that, show them how to block from the hips. Throw some shots at them and let them fly out their block way beyond their body (most newbies try to slash at your sword with theirs to block. Silly movies they've been watching.) Show them how their blocks create openings. Then give them a tighter block and throw shots at it. They'll see that they don't even have to move to block shots. Then have them rotate their hips into the blocks to block a wider range of shots. This also prevents leaning into blocks, blocking low, etc, etc. (And getting their heads in the "Danger Zone")

3. Once they can be mobile and block. I have them punch me in the arm. This is to show them how to throw a proper shot. Most newbies just swing the sword around like a conductors baton, making circles in the air that don't have any power. After they punch me, I show them how to hold the sword and "punch" out with it to make a percussive shot. [Rift: basic snap shot] This prevents some head shots from "baton waving" and wild swinging, and starts them down the path to good fighting habits.

This all takes about 15 minutes, but you're heading off a good deal of safety issues, both for the fighter, and for the rest of your realm.

(Also, note that this is a guide for helping complete first time newbies, not for training super awesome fighters)
- Blademaster Rift (formerly of chamonix)
-- webmaster for sword at UCI / Anduril
Furple
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Anduril
Unit: Blades
Favorite Fighting Styles: Primarily florentine. (reds, polearms, archery and sword board on occasion).

Postby Ember Kazoo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:45 am

best advice i know is to teach them to recognize and avoid feignts (sp?) anyway i have seen many new and inexperienced fighters succumb to a well telegraphed feign. as mentioned before the "star wars blows"by which i mean the twirling and spinning of weapons while impressive looking (sometimes) will more often than not either lack the power needed for a kill or just leave so many openings in their defense swiss cheese would have a better guard up.

while i agree that they need to not fear losing we should also be instilling into them a certain sense of what they can manage and how to observe their opponents. the better attention they pay to the shots they see thrown at them the better chance they have of parrying/blocking/dodging and returning it in kind.

as far as tactics and teamwork, about the only thing i can suggest it the value of the gimp and go. watch your back and your allies while constantly staying together and moving cohesively will greatly increase a newbs chance of survival.

above all else though make sure they have fun.
Ember Kazoo
Member and Lord of the Kazoo Family
Subservient to the Gesundheit Family
Lords of the ACHOO! lands
Ember Kazoo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2003
Unit: The Blades
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board, dual, archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ember Kazoo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 am

Sir Par wrote:WHO THE HELL IS HAVING FUN ON MY WATCH????

we all are par we just hide it will from you :P
Ember Kazoo
Member and Lord of the Kazoo Family
Subservient to the Gesundheit Family
Lords of the ACHOO! lands
Ember Kazoo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2003
Unit: The Blades
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board, dual, archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby No'Vak » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:35 pm

God Hakon I read that message like 20 times before I realized Vak posted before you...
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Hakan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:43 pm

HAH! My bad man
Numenorean & Stygian Expatriate
Rules Clarification and Rewrite Committee Contributor