On the note of Roleplay in Belegarth.

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

On the note of Roleplay in Belegarth.

Postby EvangelineDelion » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 am

So I have come to hear multiple things about Belegarth, some saying it is a purely stick-jock game that involves little role-play at all and lacks enforcement on garb and such. And I have heard that it equals out to Dagorhir from others. I have to ask which one it is, being a Dagorhir fighter I have encountered many Belegarth fighters but they were always at Dagorhir events so I did not know if they were only following with standard for Dagorhir cause they were there.

I'm just curious how far the role-play goes, anyone who has cross gamed knows Dagorhir is not huge into role play but they follow alternative persona's, light role-play for the fun of the character, and standard enforced garb at events.

Hoping to get multiple responses because I know the experience is different for everyone.

~Evangeline
Veneratio inter furtificus

“The moon's an arrant thief,
and her pale fire she snatches from the sun.” -William Shakespeare
EvangelineDelion
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: Ravenhold
Unit: Umbra Furtificus

Re: On the note of Roleplay in Belegarth.

Postby Salamander » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am

Basically, the only rp you are going to get here is from the monsters. Belegarth is very different from most games in that we have a highly developed monster culture, and little to no development for light races and cultures.

There is no rp really on the field, what so ever. The MOST you might get is fighting styles of monsters tend to be...monstery? And some few like to die epicly. But no one really picks weapons types because it suits their character, but because they are skilled with it, or because they prefer it.

Off the field at night, is a bit more open. Monsters run around painted up and talk Horde speek. Sometimes they get up to monster type shenanigans. Once I had the privilege to attend a Horde ritual, which involved chocolate blood, chanting some ****, and boozing it up afterwards. Nothing crazy. I carry a ram's head around and stick him in girl's boobs and talk to him.
Any rp you see is very quasi in character, if at all, mostly talking about eating pinkies in some fashion, or how best to cook baby.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby EvangelineDelion » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Salamander wrote:Basically, the only rp you are going to get here is from the monsters. Belegarth is very different from most games in that we have a highly developed monster culture, and little to no development for light races and cultures.

There is no rp really on the field, what so ever. The MOST you might get is fighting styles of monsters tend to be...monstery? And some few like to die epicly. But no one really picks weapons types because it suits their character, but because they are skilled with it, or because they prefer it.

Off the field at night, is a bit more open. Monsters run around painted up and talk Horde speek. Sometimes they get up to monster type shenanigans. Once I had the privilege to attend a Horde ritual, which involved chocolate blood, chanting some ****, and boozing it up afterwards. Nothing crazy. I carry a ram's head around and stick him in girl's boobs and talk to him.
Any rp you see is very quasi in character, if at all, mostly talking about eating pinkies in some fashion, or how best to cook baby.

Monsters? You mean just more evil and demented characters? Orcs, Goblins, wraiths, and such?

Sounds a lot like Army of Morder in Dagorhir.

EvangelineDelion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:04 pm

It is a little bit like AoM. As Sal said, there's very little RP involved in Bel, much as there's very little in Dag. It's something that I enjoy, so I put time and effort into it. That said, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Where are you located nationally? Salamander and I are in the same unit, and we could give you a very first-hand look at the state of RP in Belegarth.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Salamander » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm

http://www.geddon.org/Category:Monsters
Here are the generally accepted monster types. Mos people do not stray outside of these. Bel can be rather harsh at any attempt to go outside it. This *has* been changing though, at events. On the boards, it's still pretty xenophobic, but it's the boards. Generally, when dealing with rp in Bel, it's best to go big, or go home. If you can't impress and awe people, or alternatively, stick it out and ignore everyone, you'll get mocked. Hell, *I* got mocked when I first went green.

From what I understand of AoM, they are similar. I am unable to speak on other races and monsters in Dag in any sort of authority, but I do run around on Facebook with Cackspackle, a Dag goblin group. I do believe that there is a difference in goblin cultures, cross game. Dag goblins seem much more silly. I have not heard very much in Dag goblin lore. In Bel, we have an established monster pantheon, monster heros, tales and history. The most this comes out is storytelling around the fire though, and when it's time for morning insults.
However, Dag goblins seem to do a lot more activities, be they shenanigans or goblin type games.

This being all said, there has been a movement recently, to put at bit more characterization back in Bel. Garb characterization, as well as some back stories and some houses are in the works. Caleidah is working on a more Light side characterization and rp stuff. as he said, if your are at an event sometime, between the two of use, we can show you what Bel rp is about!
(drinking copiously and telling stories!)
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby EvangelineDelion » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:32 pm

I am from the midwest, Independence Missouri. Seems to be more of a Dagorhir area, but this group has a leader that doesn't seem to take well to cross gaming, I think because she is quite new.

And the Goblins are quite silly indeed, especially Silly the Goblin, she is a close friend of mine.

EvangelineDelion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:25 pm

EvangelineDelion wrote:I am from the midwest, Independence Missouri. Seems to be more of a Dagorhir area, but this group has a leader that doesn't seem to take well to cross gaming, I think because she is quite new.

And the Goblins are quite silly indeed, especially Silly the Goblin, she is a close friend of mine.

Come with Silly to the next Bel event she comes to. Well, apart from WPO. That event will be awesome, but it's too short of an event to take out the time to talk about this stuff a lot.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Acorn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:30 pm

To add to what Sal was saying about a recent movement for more rp:

There has been an uprise in rp, especially out west, in a slighting different way than normal in that it is less character driven and more activity driven. An example is Chaos Wars this year: after great positive feedback from the Monster Day we had at CW last year (everyone, pinky or no, dressed as monsters, faught all day, and there was Pakshas normal feast and prizes were given) and from the fake fued between The Babylon Empire and the Highlands at CW (it was played out online and ended up culmanating in the final realm battles) this years CW has decided to expand on rp activities and is actually themed as "Monsteracolypse and Crusadergeddon."

At CW all week there will be minor apocalypse-related activities and at the end there will be a final battle, and of course prizes for great kits, death, characters, etc (a big reason for the theme is to add to the current push for great garb). Unlike other RP, in our apocalypse what side you are on doesn't have to do with what you play normally, but it can, and will for many people, but i know of many others who are making a new character or kits just for the theme.

Not only is there an overarching theme this year, but in the past we have had role play getting bigger in our night life especially. Valas's Pub has been supporting and adding great inclusive Monster culture for years and it keeps getting bigger (last year had a musical artist for example and aloud an area for minors), and the Glad Pits became a fully blown Toga-party-colasseum. Everyone was dressed in togas and it was a huge spectacle with great rp from all sides.

As far as classical character themed RP, it is also increasing but the biggest change and role of RP in bel, at least western, has been in our activities including them and being more popular and attended than ever.

While the things I just mentioned are all at CW, I know that it is not the only event to include this type of thing and the overall rise in rp is region wide.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Cheeseheart » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 pm

It is my own personal goal to make RP a bigger part of our organization.

I'll see y'all at the Glad Pits.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Azgarehta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 am

Nobody cares about which game you play in the midwest. If they do, they're nobody of consequence. Everyone cross games here, and we enjoy both rulesets. Roleplay in Belegarth is on the same curve as fighting. You have a few of people at the bare minimum, the bulk of the fighters at below average to average, and a very small percentage at the top. As a hobby, you'll find individuals that dedicate themselves to roleplay or fighting, or both, and they do it well. If you want to see more of it, become more of it.

As for the problems with your local realm, you should be fighting in Lyonesse or Dominion. Anyone trying to start up a realm in that area when there are two GREAT established realms nearby is a complete idiot and you should encourage them to go to a real realm and stop being a tard.

Edit: I'm saying this because both realms pull 50+ members on a weekly basis, and once a month they invade each other and have a 100 person mini event.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Caleidah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:33 am

Cheeseheart wrote:It is my own personal goal to make RP a bigger part of our organization.

I'll see y'all at the Glad Pits.

We shall unite this nation. High fives over the Grand Canyon?
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Cheeseheart » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 am

I'd Eiffel Tower this *. :roll: :devil:
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Cedric » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:07 am

last year Ebonhold declared war on Shannara, we gathered alies, mailed gifts to other leaders, and insults to our enemies. Opener started by calling out our enemies and anouncing their crimes, then fun battles to determine the winner. Babylon and HoC did the same thing, with crap talking at feast and mocking each other. It was a ton of fun, and both ebonhold and babylon are the two bigest stick jock realms in the west by far!
My favorite color is beer.
Always folow the gospel of Cedric, or ye shall be damned.
Cedric

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1993
Realm: Ebonhold
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Postby Acorn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Yeah the Ebonhold war definitely was a kick start for the Babylon one. Props Ced.

Cedric wrote:Babylon and HoC did the same thing, with crap talking at feast and mocking each other. It was a ton of fun, and both ebonhold and babylon are the two bigest stick jock realms in the west by far!

Seconded.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Return to New Members