So, supposedly I'm supposed to run this realm now...advice?

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

So, supposedly I'm supposed to run this realm now...advice?

Postby Malacar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi, my name is Malacar, (fight name), and I've been charged to run the "Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but I'm extremely busy with school, 3 different martial arts and endless Home Work, advice?

P.S. if any of you don't know where the Hanging Gardens are its a branch off of the Babylon Empire in Ashland Oregon, Dyce lives here now, but he's too busy to run things so he hopes I'll pick it up....so yeah basically need to talk to an experienced leader for details and the works
Darkness Embrace You
Malacar
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2006
Realm: Hanging Gardens
Unit: Blades of Darkness
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Florentine

Re: So, supposedly I'm supposed to run this realm now...advi

Postby Dangus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Wow, didn't even realize the Ashland group still met.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:05 pm

If your time commitment is trouble, I recommend meeting less often. I don't know what your normal schedule is, but a few groups meet every other week and that is something that could work. Most importantly, you always need to meet when you say you will and if you meet less often, try to drum up the event so people will come out. Facebook works well for organizing meets.

In the mean time, try to get enough people so that you can get more leaders to share the load. They can be in charge of more meetings or aspects of a meeting.

Good luck!
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Acorn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:27 pm

i recommend pm'ing bakdar, shino or remy, or aislyn for help. they are some of the leader in oregon. this will be more beneficial sine they can actually help you with advice on setting up events, like the War of the Gardens that traditional takes place in ashland, helping you pick a time that works for oregon fighters, and perhaps tripping down there to help you run a practice.

good luck. glad to hear there's still interest down there.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Well, in my experience you're going to be better off just scheduling 2-4 hours every week for practice. I understand having homework (why oh why did I pick up 18 credits this term >:C) and an outside life but just know that I don't really think any of the realm leaders in Babylon are there by choice; they're there because there was no one else stepping up to the plate. Most of what I do is texting/calling people, setting up a facebook event page for practice and showing up. There's nothing else you should really be having to do; we don't do 'realm-weapons' so everyone is responsible for bringing their own.
It kinda sucks, but you're job is to make sure everyone knows practice is happening, when and where, be there and be ready to be designate others into roles that will help the realm run more smoothly. You're pretty much the manager of a club.
Good luck and God speed good buddy.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Purgatory » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:20 pm

so i run the Accursed of Fenrir.. in Ravenshold. its a lot of work and i do the even set ups and fundraisers. i was told by someone that if your realm leader your job is to make sure ppl have fun, the rules are minded and ppl show up. if you doing that your doing it right. i have 2 battle masters that take care of my field and i do foam smithing and garb. each person puts in there help in what ever way they can so the stress is distributed. we are working well together and have a lot of fun. dont stress too much after a bit the realm will usually run its self.
Poppy the daughter of Lord Greed, Admin to Purgatory in Grimmwood.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2008
Realm: Grimmwood
Unit: Purgatory
Favorite Fighting Styles: we have it all-even rocks

Postby Armas » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 am

I would definately go with splitting up the leadership if you can. In my group, I handle the organization of practices and events while the other leader handles training new people and leads our unit on the field. Also, by splitting up responcibility between two or more people you can help each other out more when you don't have a lot of time to spare.
Armas
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Apr 2011
Unit: Coldguard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red, Spear

Return to New Members