Other Diabetics?

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Other Diabetics?

Postby indianakatie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Katie, and I'm going to be heading to my first Belegarth event in Indiana this summer with a friend of mine. I'm a type I diabetic of thirteen years who wears an insulin pump, and I thought it would be beneficial to get on the boards and see if there are any other type I diabetics out there with tips or suggestions for my first event (a three-day camp out). More than tips or suggestions, though, it would just be nice to know that there are other diabetics out there besides me.

I'm really excited about getting involved with all of this...I've been training like an absolute fiend to get myself ready for the event so that I can at least TRY to hold my own :). Fortunately, I have a good friend who is patiently trying to show me the ropes (for which I am endlessly thankful).
indianakatie
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 17 May 2012

Re: Other Diabetics?

Postby Reverend » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:24 pm

indianakatie wrote:Hi everyone! My name is Katie, and I'm going to be heading to my first Belegarth event in Indiana this summer with a friend of mine. I'm a type I diabetic of thirteen years who wears an insulin pump, and I thought it would be beneficial to get on the boards and see if there are any other type I diabetics out there with tips or suggestions for my first event (a three-day camp out). More than tips or suggestions, though, it would just be nice to know that there are other diabetics out there besides me.

I'm really excited about getting involved with all of this...I've been training like an absolute fiend to get myself ready for the event so that I can at least TRY to hold my own :). Fortunately, I have a good friend who is patiently trying to show me the ropes (for which I am endlessly thankful).

I have no diabetic information for you, but I love the fact that you started fighting in the future.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Salamander » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm hypoglycemic, and I always always always have a granola bar or the like in my belt belt pouch or nearby, in case I start getting sick. My close fighter friends know what to look for when I get woozy, so be sure those you travel with understand what to keep an eye out for.

Can we get Ladybug in here? I know she is diabetic, and I know she has been working with it, she might have better information.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Static » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I have a diabetic friend who isn't specifically in bele, but he enjoys swinging a padded sword at people.
My advice to you after watching him, make sure the insulin tube doesn't kink when you fight. Bad things happen. He was hospitalized for three days because of the over-exersion and the tube kinking at the same time...
Due to my lack of knowledge, other than that, I've got nothing. ^^ Welcome to belegarth.
Barreler in House Hellhammer
President, Web Weaver, WC Rep for Sand Plains
Ironguard in the Forgechurch
Squire to Sir Dameon Orcenfol
Static
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Feb 2012
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: House Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red

Postby indianakatie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Reverend wrote:
I have no diabetic information for you, but I love the fact that you started fighting in the future.

Yeah, I keep running into trouble with that blasted space-time continuum. I blame that McFly kid that keeps hanging around my house with his weird mad scientist friend. ;)

I was wondering if anyone would notice that...I wasn't sure what to put since I won't be officially doing anything until May.
indianakatie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Davit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Holy hell, yes there are a few of us. I know that myself and Tobin are both type 1 diabetics and I believe there are some others but as I don't know them well I'm not going to go further there.

Tips:
#1 Please Please Please let your friends and loved ones who are going with you know what needs to be done in an emergency. Have a list of numbers and information necessary for those along with whatever meds you need. Talk to them BEFORE you go to let them know all that stuff, what signs to look for if you are going downhill etc (I know everyone is different with their hypo/hyper glycemia symptoms).

#2 Make sure to bring glucagon and make sure people know where it is and how to use it.

#3 Bring extra EVERYTHING. If you don't have enough infusion sets, needles etc you will run out, if you bring extra you will leave with extra.

#4 Bring or find someone who can refrigerate some insulin for you, even if it is just a cooler with some ice, even at 85 degrees insulin can start to loose it's effectiveness pretty quickly.

#5 If this is your first event take it easy, fight, have fun, but follow basic event stuff such as keep hydrated, eat enough, don't drink too much etc.

#6 If you have the ability to get a product called "skin tac" get it and use it. It helps maintain adhesion even when you're sweating profusely or when it's humid as hell.

Other than that have fun, enjoy yourself and if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, I don't check the boards that often but I'll make sure to check for the next few weeks.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby indianakatie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Davit, thank you so much for this information. The Skin Tac thing is especially helpful--I've never heard of that before, and I should be able to get a lot of use out of it.

The heat is indeed the thing I'm worried about (I had an experience at Disneyworld where the insulin in my pump just ended up completely frying in the hot Florida weather). You're right about the cooler--I could just put it in a ziplock and toss it in there during the field time. I'm also going to pack some N in addition to my Novolog so that I can make the switch to injections if need be.

This is enormously helpful in getting supplies together. I almost never keep a glucagon kit around (I know, I know...), so I'll be sure to get one for the trip.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions--they are much appreciated. :D
indianakatie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby randy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

I would consider making a belt flag or something that can let people know who to contact in case of a medical emergency. Also ensure that the event staff know about your condition and any specific treatment options you would authorize them to use.

The fear would be that you start having trouble and no one around knows what to do, why your having trouble, or who to call that can help.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby indianakatie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:15 am

evil randy wrote:I would consider making a belt flag or something that can let people know who to contact in case of a medical emergency.

Ooh, the belt flag is a great idea! I will definitely do that! (And, as you say, make sure the event coordinators are aware of it.) Thanks!
indianakatie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Lorax » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 pm

indianakatie wrote:
Reverend wrote:

Yeah, I keep running into trouble with that blasted space-time continuum. I blame that McFly kid that keeps hanging around my house with his weird mad scientist friend. ;)

I was wondering if anyone would notice that...I wasn't sure what to put since I won't be officially doing anything until May.

Oh I would have assumed that it was a big blue box....
There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees- Rush

SUNBEEEEEAAAAAM
Lorax
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2011
Realm: Stygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Javvies (and rocks)
Florentine
Min-red

Postby Static » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Lorax wrote:Oh I would have assumed that it was a big blue box....

This
makes me smile.
Barreler in House Hellhammer
President, Web Weaver, WC Rep for Sand Plains
Ironguard in the Forgechurch
Squire to Sir Dameon Orcenfol
Static
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Feb 2012
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: House Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red

Postby Tobin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey. I've had type I for twenty years (my diabetes can drink this summer!) and been on the pump for somewhere more than five. Good for you for getting out and being smart about eventing. Davit's list is pretty comprehensive, so my #1 on events is "what he said".

2. If you're out fighting, make sure your infusion set/iPro/etc are placed where you don't normally get hit. For me, this is low on my abdomen on my left side--aka my shield side. * those things hurt when they get hit, swiped, or tagged with a weapon. For that matter, make sure your pump is secure in a pocket or strapped down somewhere. Having it swinging by the line from your skin is awkward and strangely embarrassing, and getting the line or the pump in the way of a swinging weapon is painful (and potentially expensive).

3. Don't stop at extra; bust out some of the supplies you used to use (like syringes) and bring those with too. If you've been out fighting all day, are sweating profusely, have just found your first patch of poison ivy, and for whatever reason your infusion set craps out on you, it might not be feasible to replace it right away. If you've got to wait for your temp to come down/skin to dry off/swelling to recede, an injection is going to be easier and less frustrating than wasting infusion sets that won't stick or that squeeze themselves out right away.

4. We metabolize things differently than everyone else. Be smart about your consumption habits. Don't toss your normal schedule out the window and don't go crazy with the alternative substances (if they're your thing) because even if the people you're partaking with know about your diabetes and your hypo/hyper symptoms, they might not be prepared for what you're like while drunk (etc) and it might not let them recognize the aforementioned symptoms as readily.

5. Make sure you get to an event in Illinois at some point, and let Davit or I know you're coming :)

THere's also a women-only forum on the boards here, and Ladybug (another type I) is over there a lot. I don't know how often she hits up this forum, but if your name is any indication you'd be eligible to post over there too. And like Davit said--PM me if you want to chat or have any other questions.

Welcome to Belegarth!
Shuvinasti of Kumpania del Ruv
yes, that's right folks, I'm female.
breathe deep. seek peace. swing hard.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2004
Realm: Itenerraria
Unit: Kumpania del Ruv
Favorite Fighting Styles: flail and round
decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby moon goddess » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:42 am

Woo hoo there are others! I had our leather worker/ black smith make a hard caseing for my pump so it won't get damaged sometimes I will take it off and run around but not often because I'm mainly non combat.. I agree take extra supplies extra emergency food like crackers and a jar of peanut butter put it into a ziplock and label all your stuff in case someone needs to get it for you. Keep hydrated! And I love the belt flag idea it should be an official thing for people with medical issues to get a belt flag if their issue may cause a problem or act up during large events. That way if someone passes out, falls down, goes into seziure, etc. Other players won't panik as much if they can identify the issue and help us and other get the medical attention we need.
moon goddess
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2010
Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Ladies of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: Non combative mainly, florintine

Return to New Members