Joining a Unit (specifically Catalyst)

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Joining a Unit (specifically Catalyst)

Postby Dimentia » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Hello everyone! I was looking through the wiki so I could learn as much as possible so I'm not *as* much of a n00b, and I was going through the units when I read Catalysts. I thought it would be awesome to join, and perfect for me; however, I'm in Rath (in Boise), and there are no Catalyst members there. Plus, I literally started yesterday, have no equipment (yet), and no garb (yet). So... I'm as n00btastic as it gets. :) I was wondering when I could be accepted for training as a Catakin, and if it would be possible without any Catalyst members in my Realm.

Thanks! Have a marvelous day!
Dimentia
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 13 Jun 2012
Realm: Rath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Level 1 n00b

Re: Joining a Unit (specifically Catalyst)

Postby Caleidah » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:12 pm

With pretty much all units, you'll have to talk to the people in person. Units tend to be large groups of friends that enjoy fighting together and work toward a common goal. So your best bet would be to get out to some events and talk to people from multiple units to see what they have to say on the matter.

And don't rush into a unit. Take your time and find one that fits you like a glove.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Ignatius » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Talk to Acorn, she's the awesome chick who will totally kick your *. She shows up to practice at random intervals so ask around. Not sure what Catalyst requirements are to join, but she'll be the one to talk to in Boise.

On another note, welcome to Bele! You probably won't meet me for a while because I'm lazy and never seem to make it to practice. I would recommend fighting for at least a year and making it to one or more major events before you even try to find a unit. This lets you make friends, learn your fighting style and find yourself in the sport. It's no fun to back out of a unit you find out wasn't right for you.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby Báthory » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Woah!

Who are you mysterious Rathi bro? Have we met? (Sorry I'm terrible with names)

Welcome to the best thing in the world!
Báthory Bloodeater
War Maytan ov the Lost River
Horde Loyal Hobgoblyn
Lorekeeper and Storyspeaker

Griks: |||| || ||| |||| | ||||||
Báthory
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 12 Feb 2011
Realm: Rath
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board... Mostly board

Postby Acorn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Hello Dimentia. I'm Acorn. I live in Boise and am in Catalyst, I just only go to fight about every other week. I will be at practice next week so we can meet then and I can answer more questions you may have. Thank you for the interest in our unit. Love the enthusiasm.

Also, to second what everyone said before, we Belgrim (people of Belegarth), highly recommend fighting for a while before joining any unit. I also recommend looking at other units and groups as well, just as seriously as you consider us, as many times it is the chemistry between people that leads to joining a unit.

As is mentioned in our Wiki, Catalysts are often active leaders in their area and work to contribute to Belegarth in some way, such as service, fighting innovation, event planning, art, music, teaching, etc. As such, in order to be considered for membership you generally have to have been around long enough to put in that kind of work. Catalyst also chooses few members at a time and it can be a long process. That being said, since we actively encourage growth we would love to help point you toward actions that might help you toward Catalyst in the future. The enthusiasm to learn and get garb and weapons that you've shown is great and is exactly the type of thing we look for, so well done.

We are a very inclusive unit and you do not have to be associated with us in any way to hang or train with us periodically. In fact, the Quarterly War College and North West training days offered in Portland are run by Catalyst members and also include cross unit teachers, and are open to all fighters. That would be the best opportunity to train with Catalyst members. As Iggy mentioned, units are groups of friends/comrades who join together, so actively seeking out different unit members to see if you gel with them is another good approach, as you may not like us, and don't want to rush into anything as a new fighter.

Hope that helps. See ya next week!
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:13 am

You also have to pass a gauntlet of physical and mental tests to even be considered for kinship;
here is an example I totes just came up with of what you can expect;

Better start practicing!
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to New Members