Ex-Amtgardian Looking To Start Own Realm

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ex-Amtgardian Looking To Start Own Realm

Postby TheDux » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Subject sums it up pretty well. Just wanted to jump in and say hey and introduce myself.

I don't have much experience in LARPing/boffer sports. I am a dice roller looking for a way to get more sun and exercise. I did amtgard for a while but it felt the group didn't live up to what they claimed it to be. If you aren't going to be using classes and complaining that you can't shield bash, why not just join Belegarth?

While I am not the most experienced fighter, I am the only one of the group with the time and want to organize everyone.

That said I had a couple quick question I did not find with a search through the forum.

Omni-blades (round blades) were common with my group and a lot easier to make. I see more sandwich (flat) blades in Belegarth pictures and tutorials. Why is that? Never used one personally, is their an advantage?

Also, can a weapons cover be used to designate its class? Blue Cover for a Class 1, Red Cover for a Class 2, etc...

With that said, looking forward to my groups first (unofficial) meet tomorrow. Should be about 5-6 of us to start off in a friend's backyard, everyone know at least one other person who is interested so we should be able to get this group up and going quick enough.

Anyway, glad we found a system we all like and hope to see you guys at an event.
TheDux
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Jun 2012

Re: Ex-Amtgardian Looking To Start Own Realm

Postby Caleidah » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Welcome to Belegarth!

As per your questions:

Both can be used, it's just that one of the simplest means of making a flatblade is with a routed fry, something that Edhellen/Forged Foam brought into popularity and that other weaponsmiths have taken to new levels. It takes the construction time of a weapon down drastically.

The designation for a weapon is generally tape on the pommel. Some areas will count green tips of covers as counting for stabbing, but it isn't universal. Generally, tape on the pommel is the safest bet.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 am

Yeah, welcome to the sport big guy! That's how any group starts, is "I have a friend who knows a guy who fights with swords" then you're addicted for the rest of your life and no matter how many times you try to get out you keep coming back for more, then your life starts revolving around attending events, you catch yourself fantasizing about fighting 24/7 and you actually start to take your development as a fighter seriously.

As we say out in the PacNW; "WELCOME TO WORLD.'

If you can, get some vid of you guys fighting, post it up on youtube or in the Skill&Developement forum, and a lot of us will try to help out and give you pointers on stuff that took us years to figure out. Kids these days got it easy. Back in MY day we threw the same shot over and over and it worked goddamnit, you didn't need to stab, all you needed was a high-cross and leg chop. None this nancy-pantsy nonsense you see nowadays. Harrumph I say!
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby TheDux » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Definately. Been spending breaks at work watching videos and reading blogs. I took stage combat in middle school and high school, so i know how to make it look like I know what I am doing, but when it comes down to it I know I need a lot of refinement.

Been reviewing the rules today so I can share them tonight. I did come across a question (that I should search for first but...while I'm here....).

A Blue sword with a stabbing tip...does it follow the same rules as a Green (Class 3) weapon if you thrust it? One hand thrust with Blue weapon agaisnt armor = loltryagain?

Also, can a javelin be used in melee? < Found this one

Will look these up before I go back to my little non-foam combat cube and sell more non-foam combat insurance.
TheDux
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:19 pm

TheDux wrote:A Blue sword with a stabbing tip...does it follow the same rules as a Green (Class 3) weapon if you thrust it? One hand thrust with Blue weapon agaisnt armor = loltryagain?

Any sort of stabbing weapon, in the event of a one-handed stab, is completely ineffectual against an armored target area.

Several years ago, one guy had a rapier (a stabbing-only sword he made) and managed to jump, flying through the air with both hands on his sword held in a downward position so as to stab an armored legged guy. While the guy with the rapier died in the air, there was nothing he could do about the whole flying part and he totally landed with the tip in the other dude's chest, exactly as he meant to to begin with. It was awesome.
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Postby Caleidah » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Blue and Red class weapons can also be Green, and yes, they will follow the same rules as other Green class weapons.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby TheDux » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification! Didn't come up last night, but we got 4 people up for regular Saturdays fights and 2 people who found out later disappointed we didn't invite them.

Can't wait until next week. Gave everyone link to the post with all the training articles.

Next week we are going to try and get it a little more organized.
TheDux
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thumbs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 pm

try and get a mix of one on one games and some group games going. And if you can get your main group to have their own gear, and then have some half decent group weapons, it helps the group tremendously. good luck on getting things going!
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: stygia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, spear
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby TheDux » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah. We got a dragon piggy bank the main group is contributing towards. Its our "Swords, Mead, and Pizza" fund.

Hopping to get everyone their own sword by next session and at least a few shields out their. My fiance's dad is an ex-LARPer so hoping to steal/borrow/buy his stuff.
TheDux
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tor » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Maybe I missed it, but did you say where you were located? Might be some folks in your neck of the woods...
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Return to New Members