HELP! I need help on finding the right realm for me

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

HELP! I need help on finding the right realm for me

Postby emilyhendricks » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi! my name is Emily and I live in California in the bay area in the city of Antioch. I have been doing some research and I would love to join Belegarth but I am having a hard time finding a realm in my area I have found numerous Realms that might be my only options but so far every site I have found for Belegarth has different realms posted and I am not sure which one is 100% correct if any so far in my research there should be a realm in Livermore and that is most likely my best bet since it is about 40 minutes away from my house without traffic. Also I have heard that there is one in San Ramon and that is about 40 minutes away as well. The problem though is that I have no idea if they are active or if there are areas closer to Antioch that I just didn't discover. Please help me out I really REALLY would love to join I have thought about doing something like this all my life but I didn't think that I might be given a chance I will continue to research and continue to try to answer my question but I would love some help! thank you in advance if you send an answer!
emilyhendricks
Recruit
Recruit

Re: HELP! I need help on finding the right realm for me

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Realm Name: Saracor
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/272092219614/
E-mail Contact: imacleish(at)comcast(dot)net

Hey, Emily! Welcome to the sport. It looks like the closest active realm to you is Saracor, in San Ramon. I can confirm that they are active. I don't have any information cataloged about a realm in Livermore, so unless they are floating somewhere below my radar, I don't think they are active there.

You can contact the folks in Saracor at the information I posted above. If you have any other questions, please post again. Meanwhile, check out the resources here on the boards, on the Geddon, and at Belegarth.com.

Cheers,

Thurat
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby emilyhendricks » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am

Thank You! I really am looking forward to the Day that I will join! Oh and one more question to make my weapons would it be best to learn how to make them online or with somebody teaching me?
emilyhendricks
Recruit
Recruit

Postby emilyhendricks » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

oh and is there a way to update the map of realms because that was what I expected to count on the most but it is missing many realms if there is any way I can help then that would be great because it would make things a lot easier for newbies like me if there is some how I could do it I wouldn't mind :) thanks!
emilyhendricks
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm in the process of updating the realm map. I'm hoping things will slow down with work and school enough that I can devote a few hours to it and just finish the darn thing already.

As for weapons, I would recommend learning from an experienced foamsmith. Building can be difficult, and sometimes internet instructions just don't do the process justice.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby emilyhendricks » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 am

Thank you! :D
emilyhendricks
Recruit
Recruit

Postby emilyhendricks » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am

sorry one more question. I'm in other sports and I am still in high school so I am hard pressed for time so San Ramon most likely won't work for me but I know a few people that I think would be interested if I told them about Belegarth so what If I made a new realm in this area? I have studied about how to make or start a realm but I am having difficulty on how EXACTLY I should do it. I know I need to find people that are interested and that I should spend at least a few practices at a realm that has been active for a while and I need to make weapons but how do I find a place to practice and how do lead the realm because I think that it would be strange if a newbie like me led a realm. I don't know what to do to make a successful realm. Although if I didn't make a knew realm then I could join when I am out of high school but I really would love to join now.
emilyhendricks
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

You asked a few questions in there, and I'll try and answer them all:

1) Can I start a realm, and how do I do it?

I'm not going to say that starting a new realm is easy, but it isn't as difficult as it sounds.

First, find people that are interested. Even if you don't have weapons yet, get those people wrangled in. Next, find the time to get as many of those people, yourself included, to a practice at an established realm. Fight with their weapons, see the fighting first hand, and talk to them about your endeavor. At this point, you'll have done two things: 1) You've got a core group, and 2) You've got the support and acknowledgement of another nearby realm. This will go a long way in helping your group get started. I can't think of a realm that wouldn't go out of their way to help a new realm succeed. Often, you can work it out where they'll come visit your area and practice with your group, and help you recruit new members.

2) I'm really new, can I start a realm? How do I even run a realm effectively?

Being new doesn't mean that you can't start a realm. Most of the time, new realms are started by people that saw this "fighting thing" somewhere else, and wanted to do it, but couldn't find anyone around them that they could just go join. Being completely new is a bit of a handicap, but you have remember that you'll never be completely alone. There are tons of people on the boards and in the community at-large that will offer their help along the way, and will answer your questions as you go.

As for how to do it effectively, there isn't really a guide book, but there are some amazing resources.

• 1) Read the rules. And then read them again.
  • 2) Go check out the Resource Store. It has flyers, pamphlets, and many other recruitment and promotion tools.
  • 3) Download the New Realm Start Kit. This isn't an all-exhaustive kit that will tell you how to run your realm, and how to handle every situation that you will encounter, but it is a great launching pad from which to start. In fact, read through this before you go and wrangle up those new members. Setting up a leadership and government isn't pivotal to starting your realm, and may over complicate things at first, but it's something that you should keep in mind as you go.
  • 4) Ask questions. If something doesn't make sense to you, or you are confused about something, post your question on the boards, or contact the folks in the realm near you. Often, someone else has had the same question, and an answer already exists, so don't forget to try out the search feature too.

3) What about equipment?
You can't fight without equipment, so the best thing to do, in my opinion, when you're a new realm is to get everyone together and have a "build day". That is, find an experienced foamsmith that is willing to drive out to you, or you can go to them, that can take a day to show your group how to construct equipment. They'll help you figure out what materials you need to buy, they'll help you build your first equipment, and you'll get first hand experience in doing it on your own. Alternatively, you can buy equipment from reputable vendors such as Forged Foam, or other independent foamsmiths. Buying equipment is not so economical as making your own, but it gets you started, and there's nothing wrong with that.

4) Where do I fight?
A park, typically. A grass field clear of obstacles. Your mom's backyard. Wherever you can find somewhere to start fighting, really. Ideally, when you get your realm off the ground, you want to find somewhere that has exposure to the public, is open enough to allow some running about, and is reasonably free of dangerous obstacles. Again, parks are your friend.

-------
If there are questions that I missed, or something wasn't clear, please ask. Starting a realm is hard, there isn't any doubt about that, but it's rewarding, and the more it grows, the more rewarding it becomes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Thurat

P.S.: PAPERWORK

As for officially starting a realm, here's what you need to do.

A) State that you're going to be a realm.
B) Come up with a name.
C) Post the following information in the Realm Founding Info thread:

Realm Name: Your realm name
City/State: Where you're located
Year Founded: the year you started your realm
Contact Email: How to contact you about your realm (some people make an email dedicated to realm business)
Wiki Link: Go make a page on the Geddon
Fledgling/Speaking/Voting: You're a "Fledgling" realm

D) Go out and start your realm.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby emilyhendricks » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:42 pm

thank you that is more information then I could have hoped for :)
emilyhendricks
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Hey, no problem. We were all new once. Teach a man to fish, and all that.

-Thurat-
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Return to New Members