Old member, new country and new realm

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Old member, new country and new realm

Postby Soron » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new to forum posting, although not new to Belegarth. I fought with Salamandastron in Santa Cruz for the two years I spent at university, and attended 2 or 3 events in California (including the 2010 Battle for the Ring, though sadly not the 2011 BftR).

While fighting with Salamandastron, I was a regular fighter, although I was content to mostly stick with face-to-face interactions with our local group. After all, we had plenty of experienced fighters that would bring news, techniques and knowledge from the broader Belegarth community, and I'd always be able to become more active at a later time, right?

Of course, now I'm in New Zealand, and it appears that I AM the experienced Belegarth fighter in the area. Likewise, the Internet is going to be our main point of contact with most of the Belegarth community. Now I wish I'd made more of an effort to get rides to BftR 2011, or at least one Chaos Wars/Armageddon. But, oh well, live and learn.

At this point, I'm in the process of starting up a local realm with some friends. Planting Belegarth's flag in one more country, as it were. We've been able to locate suitable weapon materials without much hassle, which is good.

I also imagine that we'll have some interesting interactions with the local foam fighting community - from what I can tell, they're all the light-hitting LARP type, so we'd be the only heavy-hitting group in the area, at the outset. And apparently the only group that accepts being physically knocked over as a potential part of combat. I'd like to be on good terms with the local LARP groups, of course, although I'll have to make sure that any of our guys who try crossgaming don't injure or scare them.
Trained in Salamandastron, living in New Zealand. Awash in a sea of low-impact foam fighters, it seems.
Soron
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2009
Realm: Salamandastron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board

Re: Old member, new country and new realm

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:16 am

Hey, man, good on you for planting the seed abroad!

I didn't really catch any specific questions in your post (but I am reading this after just getting off a 12 hour midnight shift, so forgive me if I missed one), but if you're looking for some general resources to look at, you can always go take a look at the Belegarth Resource Store. It has a lot of useful stuff, including the New Realm Starter Kit, which has a pretty fair collection of how-to basics on realm bureaucracy.

As far as finding materials over there, go ahead and post what you find over in the Foamsmithing Resources thread.

Otherwise, post away with any questions you have. Once you have all of your information together, such as your name, location, and contact info, post it over in the Realm Founding Info thread, and then go make yourself a page on the Geddon.

Best of luck!

Thurat
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Soron » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 pm

You didn't see any questions because I didn't really ask any, but thanks for the resources nonetheless :). I'm familiar with the Geddon wiki and the forums, though that resource store site is new to me. Looks useful, as well!

I do plan on posting relevant info about our foamsmithing experience over in the foamsmithing forum. It's been interesting thus far - I think we've got a good alternative to blue foam, but DAP seems more expensive here, so we're having to experiment a bit with adhesives. Definitely an experience that I'll have to write up once we have a passing sword.

All in all, I think I'm in decent shape to start up a realm - Salamandastron was small enough that duties like marshalling and weapons checking often ended up being shared between any regular fighters who'd been there a while, so I'm familiar with keeping a practice safe. Just gotta get into recruitment, then - which I should possibly ask questions about, once I've got a better idea as to what kind of questions I want to ask in the first place.
Trained in Salamandastron, living in New Zealand. Awash in a sea of low-impact foam fighters, it seems.
Soron
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2009
Realm: Salamandastron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Ah, ok. Sucks about the DAP being expensive. Have you looked for carpet tape or spray glue? I've never used the spray glue on a weapon before (except javelin heads), but carpet tape works pretty well, excepting in very cold environments.

Best of luck; keep us updated. It's always great to see the sport spreading across borders.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Celtic Christ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:58 am

Facebook is another great resource to keep in touch with specific fighters as well as groups that have been made. Best of luck on spreading the gospel. One of the best recruitment tactics is being personable and holding your practices in heavily trafficked areas. Make sure that if someone's sitting around watching your practices you have someone who can approach them and answer any questions they might have and if they show interest spar a bit and show them the basics.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Return to New Members