Dagorhir chapter looking for dual citizenship!

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Dagorhir chapter looking for dual citizenship!

Postby Derath » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Hey guys! I'm Derath, the leader of the Dagorhir chapter: Antioch.

We've been a chapter since 2002 located in the Newport/Monroe area (with other followings in a few other locations!) of Michigan. And it never really occurred to us to open up to Belegarth as well!

So after familiarizing myself with the rules I'd like to open up the gates! How do I go about registering as an official unit of Belegarth?
Derath
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Nov 2002
Realm: Antioch
Unit: Verdish

Re: Dagorhir chapter looking for dual citizenship!

Postby Galya » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Greetings! There is no "official" way to register as what we would call a "realm". We're much more lax about that. Really, you can just add your information to our Wiki, http://www.geddon.org.

I'm curious though, I thought Dagorhir forbade their groups from playing more than their game? Or is this more just an invitation for Bel fighters in Michigan to attend your practices?
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 am

Welcome to the Bel boards, Derath! The only thing necessary to become a Belegarth realm is to announce to the community that you exist. There isn't a chapter contract or anything of the sort, and we are more than happy to welcome cross-gaming realms. However, that open-arms approach does not reciprocate. In Dagorhir, as you will read in your chapter contract, you may not openly identify as anything but a Dagorhir chapter, or your charter will be revoked. As a home standard you can accept cross-gamers (many parks do), and you can even post openly on the internet that you welcome fighters from other sports, but once you say "We're also a member of 'X' organization", you've broken your Dagorhir contract, and could land your realm in hot water with the DBGA.

So, by all means, be cross-gamer friendly. It bolsters camaraderie in the foam fighting community, and typically means better fighting for all involved; it's healthy for the community! However, if you wish to remain an official member of Dagorhir, just leave it at that. And that is perfectly OK. If you have any questions, or are confused, please post again. We're here to help!

-Thurat-
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 am

Opps, Galya beat me to it.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Galya » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:02 am

Yes, but your post sounded a lot better.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Derath » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 am

Ha, it had been so long since I had looked at that thing! Don't want to upset anyone on that front :) I appreciate you keeping me from landing myself into some trouble!

Well if it's just a lax thing: I sure would like to open up a way for any fighters who want to quell some boredom on the weekends to come fight? (in the immediate area~)

Should I just leave some contact information down? We have a "Public Contact" facebook page. Or even our website.
Derath
Recruit
Recruit

Postby warwell » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:15 am

One way to encourage cross gaming is to create a Facebook group for your area and allow chapters from Bel, Dag Amtgard, etc. to post events, etc. to it.

Here in FL, we have a group called The FL Foam Fighters Association. Even though my realm (Dragon Coast) is part of Dag, we are allowed to belong to the FFFA and interact with other organizations. As a result of the FFFA, events have grown from 20-30 attendees to 200-300.

When Dragon Coast runs events, we advertise it as a Dag event and use the Dag rules. However, we post on the FFFA board and welcome cross-gamers. Likewise, we happily attend events from other orgs. This is all allowable under our contract.

Hope this helps.

Yours in service,
Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Caleidah » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 am

Also, promote yourself as a "foam fighting" group in public circles, and as a Dag group within those circles. By and large? If people want to swing stick, they are not going to care about which three letter nickname you're using on the group.

Also, there is a forum at the bottom of the pate that is for "Other Medieval Recreation Sports." You can post things there to get another layer of advertising for any events that you are hosting.

Welcome to the boards and to the greater world of fighting.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 am

And yes, of course you can leave your contact info up and also you can post here about your events too.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Cade » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 am

Actually he can't (won't) get in trouble for this provided that the name of the new Belegarth Realm is different from the Dag one that is on his chapter contract. Even if its in the same place with the same people.

It was discussed on the dag boards a few months back, and decided that there isn't much that the DGBA can or will do to his contract legally speaking because its not like they can send out an officer or anything to check, and frankly the DGBA doesn't give a flip really.

All ya really got to do is pick whichever ruleset makes more sense. (hint: Its Belegarths)
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:40 am

He wasn't talking about making a new realm, but as identifying as both a Dagorhir Chapter and Belegarth Realm. I haven't read the thread you mentioned, so I'm sure you have more insight on it than I, but even if the DGBA isn't going to come break down your door over it, it's a matter of principle, I feel, to honor the contract. If the DBGA isn't interested in enforcing that part of the contract, then that addendum should be removed, in my opinion.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Cade » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 am

Thurat wrote:He wasn't talking about making a new realm, but as identifying as both a Dagorhir Chapter and Belegarth Realm. I haven't read the thread you mentioned, so I'm sure you have more insight on it than I, but even if the DGBA isn't going to come break down your door over it, it's a matter of principle, I feel, to honor the contract. If the DBGA isn't interested in enforcing that part of the contract, then that addendum should be removed, in my opinion.

Yea i know. That was the stipulation. In order to identify as a duel realm, they wouldn't be able to use the same name as the Dag chapter, but as far as the DGBA is concerned, its fine that they go ahead and cheese the system so to speak.

I completely agree that the DGBA should remove that addendum. They should do a lot of things that they don't do because their government is beyond screwed up, but they don't, and won't change it for whatever reason.

So in the interm, if the OP wants to have a realm identify as both Bel and Dag he is free to do so provided he uses a different name. I know a few realms that do that actually. They tend to use the name of a unit, or change a letter of their name, or add a letter or something to satisfy the letter of the law.

that they have to is idiotic, but it is what it is.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 am

Ah, Ok, I see what you're saying.
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Derath » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:35 pm

I was reading through the pages, and I guess when I posted this last time I may have had an error on my end. Our chapter is all foam sports friendly! We are in the Monroe Michigan area: Here's our public contact page on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/101457899999921/

Thanks for the support and suggestions!
Derath
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Brunor Orcslayer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm

howdy neighbor. we're going to try and stop out again a couple of times this summer. any of you guys ever want to swing out our way, we meet on tuesdays
Brunor Orcslayer
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 17 Oct 2002
Unit: The Free Nations
Favorite Fighting Styles: all

Return to New Members