New Realm in Humboldt County/Nor Cal

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

New Realm in Humboldt County/Nor Cal

Postby Mausbrod » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 am

I am Malakai Ausbrod, I am attempting to start a Realm based around Humboldt State University in Arcata, California. Any existing Realm leaders or leaders willing to help share some tips on getting a realm up and prepared for combat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? Please and thanks to anyone willing to impart their knowledge upon us.

Also anyone in the area looking to join, in this area feel free to contact me. I know there are many people in this area who "LARP" and many other "LARP" groups around here, but the nearest BEL Realm is in Oregon.
Our Realm name is Ora Perdita
Our Realm name is Ora Perdita
Last edited by Mausbrod on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mausbrod
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 25 May 2011
Realm: Ora Perdita
Unit: Clan Ausbrod
Favorite Fighting Styles: All except sword and board

Re: New Realm in Humboldt County/Nor Cal

Postby Reverend » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:02 am

Mausbrod wrote:I am Malakai Ausbrod, I am attempting to start a Realm based around Humboldt State University in Arcata, California. Any existing Realm leaders or leaders willing to help share some tips on getting a realm up and prepared for combat??? Please and thanks to anyone willing to impart their knowledge upon us.

Also anyone in the area looking to join, in this area feel free to contact me. I know there are many people in this area who "LARP" and many other "LARP" groups around here, but the nearest BEL Realm is in Oregon.

Welcome to the game.

Advice: Read the rules, know the rules, follow the rules. Look good. Have loaner gear. Have a regularly scheduled practice. Only miss those practices for life/death situations or events. Visit near-by realms (closest group to you is in Redding [Dag realm, but it's all foam fighting]), go to events.

Ask questions. Questions that can't be answered by reading the BoW are fun.

No, your amazing idea for a scythe isn't going to revolutionize foam-smithing, no you aren't going to be a bad-ass with a quarterstaff.

Yes, you're jumping into one of the most awesome hobbies on earth. Yes, you're going to have fun. Yes, it's going to be a lot of work.

Oh, and come to Battle For The Ring in January (down in Chino). You'll have a plethora of vets in the area that you can get info from.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Mausbrod » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 am

I have gone to last years Battle for the ring and I am a sponsor to this one
Mausbrod
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rem_Karolus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Alright, I figure I might as well introduce myself as well at this point.

I'm also in Humboldt county and more than willing to help out in getting a new realm started up here. Just would appreciate getting some advice from existing realms for getting things off the ground.

Aside from the obvious: "lurk more, staves suck, scythes are never gonna happen, and GARB IS REQUIRED as per the BoW." Those don't even need to be said.

A polite "Thank You," to anyone willing to offer us some tips.
Rem_Karolus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Sep 2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue,
Javelin & Buckler

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Thank you for your support. Hope you make it down this year as it will be even bigger and better, and of course, welcome to the boards.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Getting a realm up and going is hard work, there's no way to dance around that, but with some good resources you can make it as painless as possible. Here are few steps to take when starting up:

1) Make contact with nearby groups. Let them know you're there, and what you're trying to do. Most realms within a reasonable distance will be stoked to help out a fledgling realm, and having those contacts will open you up to the rest of the world, and make it easier to get speaking and voting rights later on.

2) Read the BoW. Know the sport so that when your interested new guys ask, you can give them quick, decisive answers.

3) Visit the resource store. It's a great hub for getting free to use flyers and other promotional material, which you'll find is going to be key to successful recruitment, which means growth and longevity.

4) Download the New Realm Starter Kit. This kit contains blank documents and basic tutorials from your first waiver to your first newspaper article. Though not a complete how-to guide to relam building, and far from definitive, it will get you going, and give you a good idea of things to come.

5) Figure out exactly what you're doing, who you're doing it with, and where you want to go.

6) Once you've done all that, go post your information in the Realm Founding Info thread. This is your official "hello world". From there, you are an officially recognized fledgling realm. Though there isn't really any flare or fanfare to accompany that, it means that you'll be more visible, which will hopefully boost your numbers, and it'll help you get the greater support of the local and national community.

Finally, thanks for choosing to be a realm leader, or least taking part in the process. It's often a thankless and difficult job, but it's what makes our sport grow, and it is definitely appreciated.

Cheers.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Exile » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:14 pm

i have a friend in the area that would like to join you folks, i am rarely on here and not sure if my friend even knows what the boards are... my questions are when, where, time do you guys fight?

contact him or myself

my contact (i use facebook if you don't have then i'll check back in the next few weeks)
https://www.facebook.com/Theexileofu

his -Ares/Nick
https://www.facebook.com/nboazman
And Yet Again, There Was One... Til That Fatty Joined Than There Was Three
Exile
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 20 Feb 2010
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue, sword and board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Sup guys. I'm Remy, I am the liaison of Pyke, the Portland, OR realm. I'm from NorCal, originally, all my family lives there. I'd be really interested in seeing you guys suceed as I travel down to NorCal a lot to see my fams. Also, having a potential pit stop on our way down to BftR would be the perfect time, being about half(ish) way to LA. Maybe caravan down there together? Let me know what's up and I'll see if I can't convince everyone to make a weekend trip down some time in the next year.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Hallec » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 pm

I just checked in with a vet friend of mine who's currently living in that area and it seems that there is an established local boffer community up in arcata/eureka. Hopefully you guys will be able to get in touch (I've directed him to this thread).
Hallec
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2013
Realm: Norcalia

Postby Mausbrod » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Hallec wrote:I just checked in with a vet friend of mine who's currently living in that area and it seems that there is an established local boffer community up in arcata/eureka. Hopefully you guys will be able to get in touch (I've directed him to this thread).

The boffer groups are not very interested in us, however if any individual members want to join, we will be more then happy to have them. We are separate from the boffer group as we are a Belegarth group and we even have a club at Humboldt State University.
Mausbrod
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Hallec » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:31 am

Mausbrod wrote:The boffer groups are not very interested in us, however if any individual members want to join, we will be more then happy to have them. We are separate from the boffer group as we are a Belegarth group and we even have a club at Humboldt State University.

I don't really know the details of the Humboldt area, but he was a member of Salamandastron back when he was living near Santa Cruz.
Hallec
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2013
Realm: Norcalia

Postby Mausbrod » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 am

Hallec wrote:
Mausbrod wrote:The boffer groups are not very interested in us, however if any individual members want to join, we will be more then happy to have them. We are separate from the boffer group as we are a Belegarth group and we even have a club at Humboldt State University.

I don't really know the details of the Humboldt area, but he was a member of Salamandastron back when he was living near Santa Cruz.

if he is interested in joining our Bel we'd be glad to have him
Mausbrod
Recruit
Recruit

Postby turkeyfeathers » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi, my name is TF(TurkeyFeathers), im currently in the realm of stygia which is in montana. i am looking into moving to arcata sometime later this year potentialy. i was curious if this realm ever got off the ground, and if so, how many fighters do you have, when and where do you practice, do you have a facebook page, and are there any who would be interested in talking over facebook more? Any info would be much appreciated.
turkeyfeathers
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2009
Realm: Stygia
Unit: ABF
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword'n'board
Archery
Florentine
Red

Postby Mausbrod » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 pm

turkeyfeathers wrote:Hi, my name is TF(TurkeyFeathers), im currently in the realm of stygia which is in montana. i am looking into moving to arcata sometime later this year potentialy. i was curious if this realm ever got off the ground, and if so, how many fighters do you have, when and where do you practice, do you have a facebook page, and are there any who would be interested in talking over facebook more? Any info would be much appreciated.

We are just now getting off the ground, if you want to find me on facebook, my url is Facebook.com/DaGreatDog
Mausbrod
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mausbrod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:46 pm

turkeyfeathers wrote:Hi, my name is TF(TurkeyFeathers), im currently in the realm of stygia which is in montana. i am looking into moving to arcata sometime later this year potentialy. i was curious if this realm ever got off the ground, and if so, how many fighters do you have, when and where do you practice, do you have a facebook page, and are there any who would be interested in talking over facebook more? Any info would be much appreciated.

We have a facebook Group Ora Perdita HSU Belegarth its a closed group but I accept all applications
Mausbrod
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cheeseheart » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Will any of your people be attending the War of Silica Vale on May 2-4? It's a DAGORHIR event but that really doesn't mean much:

https://www.facebook.com/events/244714509018043/

Would love to meet you guys. I'll be there in a lot of black and silver and with a lot of other peeps in black and silver. I hail from the great Anduril Empire in Orange County.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire